Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SR20DET powered Westfield

Rides
    Yay

Rides
    Hell yes! Two evil machines leave the workshop of DB Power in two weeks, god stuff dude! I imagine its rather fun!

Rides
    Some impressive pace going on here Dan. Well done

Can't wait to see some pics

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan@DB-Power View Post
    don't worry chap, too be honest the weather hasn't exactly been good for a open top westy
    I have just received some photos from a mate who has given up building his cobra himself...

The Ls7 and associated dry sump gear has just been fitted by Dax - paint due just in time for Christmas

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Couple of pics for you guys

Bonnet building

Just waiting on a shite load of fibreglass to arrive and on it goes

Can't wait I've only really used 1st and 2nd gear. 1st will light up the rear slicks so easily though

Dan

Rides

I know these things are light, but using a plastic oil bottle as an axle stand is a bit extreme

Looking good Dan

Rides
    That is immence, its going to be sooooo loud too!

Rides
    Want any help with the fibreglass bits? I may be able to be useful

Rides
    ha ha,that is cool as fcuk

Rides
    I've only really used 1st and 2nd gear. 1st will light up the rear slicks so easily though
    What diff are you running? The usual Sierra one? I have a Cosworth Sierra unit in my Westie (3.69:1 or there abouts, I think) and I reckon it is a tad too short. It could definitely handle something longer.

Are you still running stock boost?

I find tiptoeing around town to keep the noise down and the tyres gripping gives me cramps in my calf muscles quite often - a good problem to have, but it is tiresome on occasions.

I'm sure your car and Chris's Striker will be putting the frighteners lots of more expensive machinery.

Regards

Jamie

Rides
    Like it Dan

How loud is that?!

Quite a bonnet bulge

I must measure up my spare CA... I wonder how much room I have to play with given the compressor outlet goes upward... although it is still bottom mount... hmmm, stuff to ponder.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeba14 View Post
    What diff are you running? The usual Sierra one? I have a Cosworth Sierra unit in my Westie (3.69:1 or there abouts, I think) and I reckon it is a tad too short. It could definitely handle something longer.

Are you still running stock boost?

I find tiptoeing around town to keep the noise down and the tyres gripping gives me cramps in my calf muscles quite often - a good problem to have, but it is tiresome on occasions.

I'm sure your car and Chris's Striker will be putting the frighteners lots of more expensive machinery.

Regards

Jamie
    Hi Jamies

It's 4.1 Quaife ATB diff so pretty sh1t hot

Yeah I hear you about noise and controllability around town, it's bad enough on our driveway at work, especially as I'm running a RPS Max Street clutch which doesn't give a light pedal to say the least

It's still running standard actuator at present but I'm happy with that as i can get used to it and then up the boost

Hopefully should be able to MOT it this week/early next week

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Like it Dan

How loud is that?!

Quite a bonnet bulge

I must measure up my spare CA... I wonder how much room I have to play with given the compressor outlet goes upward... although it is still bottom mount... hmmm, stuff to ponder.
    It's probably slightly louder than a S14 with a single box system, but I didn't build it to be timid

CA would be just as good in one, and maybe easier

Dan

Rides
    this thing is quick, and well built, its a testement to dans complete inability to understand when something is hard :-P

Rides
    I reckon this thing will make me giggle as much as the Skytrol did

Rides
    Dan
    if you decide to change the diff ratio, id be interested in the 4.1. I have a quaife with a 3.9:1 built up to swap or a spare 3.62:1 ratio CWP or will part with cash, your choice.

Craig

Rides
    Hi Jamies

It's 4.1 Quaife ATB diff so pretty sh1t hot

Yeah I hear you about noise and controllability around town, it's bad enough on our driveway at work, especially as I'm running a RPS Max Street clutch which doesn't give a light pedal to say the least

It's still running standard actuator at present but I'm happy with that as i can get used to it and then up the boost

Hopefully should be able to MOT it this week/early next week

Dan
    A 4.1 - and I thought my 3.65 was short!

I have a Exedy Sports Organic clutch in mine and an S13 flywheel (S15 mill, S14 cogbox). Like yours, the pedal is heavy and the take up is rather severe.

There's a GReddy Profec B Spec 2 EBC controlling my boost. It's an OK device, but really needs to be set up on a dyno unless you are prepared to tweak the settings yourself and monitor the digital readout while driving at WOT in third gear (as recommended).

I have the EBC organised to give 10 psi on LO, and 14 psi on HI. I mostly get around on LO - it's quick enough and I have some concern for my head gasket at 1 bar (14psi) although most people I've talked to say it will be OK.

There's also a stealthy Turbosmart Plumback BOV in the system.

You wouldn't know my car is a turbo. The only slight giveaways are the three inch exhaust and the intercooler (which, to look at, could be the radiator). I don't have a boost gauge . The EBC head unit is velcro'ed to the scuttle . The stealth BOV limits the noise on change up to a satisfying ch-ch-ch-ch .

How will you go for noise at MOT in the UK? Is there a dB regulation at a set rpm? A driveby test? Or do you just have a restrictor plate for the occasion?

Regards

Jamie
    Last edited by Keeba14; 25-09-2009 at 13:33. Reason: Forgot to sign off!

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Same with mine, the pick up is just amazing no lag just go although it's very noisy and when it pops it bangs like a gun

over here the MOT is quite good on kit cars (Q plate ones) like mine, no noise tests, no emissions to really worry about. I don't think I even need to run a bonnet

The main area where noise comes into play is for track use, for this I have a bung that I can place in the tailpipe to keep it down

I drove it on the road the other day to the MOT station, and it's weird on the road. Things I've got to watch out for is when I shift down a gear the rear wheels lock slightly, this may be down to the diff design

Also if the engine dies say if the revs full to quickly I can't bump start it in gear, again justs locks up the rear tyres

Other than that it's fast and gave me a huge grin

Rides
    Looks like heel and tow will be the order of the day as the car is so light. Are you using a standard heavy flywheel?

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Hi Martin

nah cyn-r-g aluminium flywheel I think that why it revs so well, the only belt it has is the alternator and water pump, so no strain of the power steering and also no heavy flywheel

Rides
    Ah ok, imagine how much easier it would lock the wheels up with a heavy flywheel

I've been in a few muscle car's with original spec tyres and they can churp the back wheels just by letting off the throttle! (manual gearboxes)