Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decat silencer or high flow cat?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    More than happy, dB's are well under 100 anyway

Certainly better than putting the bung in that came with the GT Spec. I tried it once, then promptly removed it a threw it in the hedge
    Awesome glad to hear it, mine decided to come off by it's self somewhere probably in the middle of the motorway

UK . . . . . . . . . . . Power: .. ..... . 361bhp
    Rides
    dont forget tho, an APEXi GT Spec will be quieter than an Apex zorst. I have a gt spec and it's fine for noise compared to Apex zorsts(at least the old Apex zorsts). If I were you I'd just pop to the nearest Powerflow zorst centre and get them to weld a small stainless steele silencer into the pipe. It wont affect the power if it's big enough but it will silence it alot. I did that with my first big zorst and if anything it made it slightly too quiet

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    When peeps talk about decat silencers are you talking about a pipe that has little holes in the inside tube with baffles around it or are you talking about a hollow tube that has been "blown up" (if you know what I mean...)
    Like this....

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/images/U307600Rbox.jpg

Last edited by drifter; 23-03-2009 at 18:19.

Rides
    The decat silencer I have doesn't have baffles . It's just a straight through pipe with a 5" bulge in it. Haven't tried the exhaust without it, so can't comment on its effectiveness.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Gotcha

Rides
    Having fitted my stainless steel decat silencer I have got to say I'm really impressed. The system is not that quite still, but its significantly quieter. The harsheness and drowning noise has been taken away. In traffic it's much better, and on so it is on the motorway too. I would still probably want my system silenced a bit more, but I think putting in the back seats would probably be a good start

The system sounds nicer, leaner, more racey in fact. It could be compared to a high/mid pass filter in audio processing, that's why I guess a lot of people mention that the system sounds "deeper". I don't think it's actually deeper, just the harshness has been taken away, so resulting in more of the deep exhaust note being heard. However the boominess also seems to have gone away!

You can really hear the decat silencer at work if that makes any sense There is no more harshness from the mid section, all the sound is now either from the front pipe but mostly from the loud Apex exhaust. I can hear my engine and the turbo spooling up much better.

Changing gears doesn't mean a harsh sound being generated anymore either, feels and sounds so much smoother.

I can't also notice any difference in power... one of the best mods for the sx

Rides
    Good result! Which one did you go for?

Rides
    I went for the Apex stainless steel decat silencer, one of my fave mods yet, actually makes driving the sx pleasureable again

Rides
    sorry to bring up an old post but

can anyone recomend me a place to get a hi-flow sports cat ive done the de-cat mot situations far too many years in a row now and i cant be fubared with it so i want a sports cat for an s14

ideally want more options than apex and ive herd of the brand milltek before just cant seem to find them for the 180

Rides
    Another question, has the apex decat silencer got baffels in it or hollow with holes through the pipe?

Just got a used decat silencer (thanks 'seller') but from the outside it looks exactly like the cat(if its a cat) thats on my car right now. Not had a chance to try it as my gearbox is fubbered.

Rides
    My apex one was cylindrical, and appeared to be 3" through the middle covered in 'holes' into the silencing bit. No baffles i dont think..

And i can also say that ameano made the right choice, i bought one and it helped out a LOT

Rides
    Give powerflow a call. Chances are they have a dealer nearby who'd be able to knock you something up.