Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Laugh At Manchester United !!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Silane View Post
    What's the difference then? Are there different types of 'liking' a team?

Or does it just stem from a hatred of Manchester United?
    Not at all. Seriously, you cant watch Barca and not appreciate thior football?

They are the best team in the world for a reason

They play beutiful football, and I like football.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    Well it depends. A lot of Supporters only support them, cause it gave them bragging rights in the playground. Seeing throught the 90's Manure dominated.

A worthy supporter is one who sticks by his team, through thick and thin. Fortunately United have been at a peak since their school boy days.

It will be interesting to see what happens when what was up comes down. Maybe when Fergie retires.
    So going by that, all of us United supporters in here should be in a strop because we lost to Barcelona yet here were are holding our hands up saying that the team simply wasn't good enough.

Not at all. Seriously, you cant watch Barca and not appreciate thior football?

They are the best team in the world for a reason

They play beutiful football, and I like football.

So why can't we appreciate what Manchester United have done and continue to do?
    Last edited by Silane; 01-06-2011 at 09:47.

Rides
    So going by that, all of us United supporters in here should be in a strop because we lost to Barcelona yet here were are holding our hands up saying that the team simply wasn't good enough.

Nope, no shame in losing to Barca. You guys are the PL champions. Why would you be stropping.

I am just saying, I for one know many United supporters in the East End of London. Who have never been to Manchester, or know anyone from there.

Yet they support Manure.

Why?

Cause they win. And continue to win.

In my books that is a glory seeker. Is it not?

The problem isnt confined to just London.

Stats say that many united supported are in Surrey

Stats also say majority of the population in manchester are city fans. Fact.

So the united support has to come from outside Manchester. Surrey being one

Rides

So why can't we appreciate what Manchester United have done and continue to do?
    Go for it. I dont think they play beautiful football

I think they are jammi as fook to win the PL with the squad they have.

They have won though, by the reasonings I have given earlier. Consistency.

They got the results where it mattered.

Rides
    Well it depends. A lot of Supporters only support them, cause it gave them bragging rights in the playground. Seeing throught the 90's Manure dominated.

A worthy supporter is one who sticks by his team, through thick and thin. Fortunately United have been at a peak since their school boy days.

It will be interesting to see what happens when what was up comes down. Maybe when Fergie retires.
    Other than 2003-2006 you mean I support them because my Dad does and I was exposed to them when football wasn't really mainstream. Nowadays you can watch a hundred teams on a hundred channels but when I was 8 in the 80's football was at an all time low and faced the possibility of vanishing. Just going to a match was enough to get you interested and leave an impression.

Even when United were winning everything through the 90's I still got no end of stick from Liverpool fans because we were so far behind them and stick from everyone else for being a glory supporter, can't win

Edit - Just seen that you've said about most of Manchester being blue. Ok why do they struggle to sell out some games then? A study was done by Manchester Meta while back and it found that a higher percentage of United season ticket holders had M postocdes than City ones. Most City fans have SK ones
    Last edited by Carl_S13; 01-06-2011 at 10:10.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_S13 View Post
    Other than 2003-2006 you mean I support them because my Dad does and I was exposed to them when football wasn't really mainstream. Nowadays you can watch a hundred teams on a hundred channels but when I was 8 in the 80's football was at an all time low and faced the possibility of vanishing. Just going to a match was enough to get you interested and leave an impression.

Even when United were winning everything through the 90's I still got no end of stick from Liverpool fans because we were so far behind them and stick from everyone else for being a glory supporter, can't win
    Mate, you are from Preston, and the outskirts of Manchester are where united fans are dominent. No need to justify your support

Rides

Edit - Just seen that you've said about most of Manchester being blue. Ok why do they struggle to sell out some games then? A study was done by Manchester City Council a while back and it found that a higher percentage of United season ticket holders had M postocdes than City ones. Most City fans have SK ones
    May well be, Season ticket holders is one thing. Support is another. A study I read said that Manchester majority was blue. In terms of support.

Rides
    Does it really matter what team you support or for what reason ??

There isnt a rule that says you have to live within 3 miles of a city in order to support its football team ...... FFS over half the players arnt from fcuking Manchester, the owners arnt from Manchester .... why do people care if someone supports a team that isnt local to them ??? ..... its getting wound up about absolutely nothing ... its really reall really fcuking lame to be blunt.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

There isnt a rule that says you have to live within 3 miles of a city in order to support its football team ...... FFS over half the players arnt from fcuking Manchester, the owners arnt from Manchester .... why do people care if someone supports a team that isnt local to them ??? ..... its getting wound up about absolutely nothing ... its really reall really fcuking lame to be blunt.

Johnny speaks truth.

Chippenham FC then Johnny?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

The reason people get wound up is that most Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle etc. fans have been through the pain of watching their team being shit - for some of us its gone on for years.

Man Utd were once shit as well, but weirdly seem to have about 20 times as many fans since they started winning stuff. These fans havent done their time of being pointed at by other more successful fans so we dont really accept them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    When United were in the second division in 1975 they had the highest average attendance in the COUNTRY. All glory supporters though

It shouldn't matter whether your team are shit or not. They're still your team.

Rides
    When United were in the second division in 1975 they had the highest average attendance in the COUNTRY. All glory supporters though
    I bet that attendance is smaller than the current waiting list for Spurs season tickets though.

Anyway, thats what Ive said, people visiting Man U games when they were in 2nd division arent glory fans, its those that have jumped on their back since they started challenging for the league again.
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    The reason people get wound up is that most Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle etc. fans have been through the pain of watching their team being shit - for some of us its gone on for years.

Man Utd were once shit as well, but weirdly seem to have about 20 times as many fans since they started winning stuff. These fans havent done their time of being pointed at by other more successful fans so we dont really accept them.

Amen brother, amen.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    I bet that attendance is smaller than the current waiting list for Spurs season tickets though.

Anyway, thats what Ive said, people visiting Man U games when they were in 2nd division arent glory fans, its those that have jumped on their back since they started challenging for the league again.
    Not 100% sure but it was around 55,000. Nah just checked it was 48,000 but the highest was 60,585

Rides
    Not 100% sure but it was around 55,000. Nah just checked it was 48,000 but the highest was 60,585
    Exactly. How many of them do you think can get anywhere near Old Trafford these days?

This is the biggest problem with Premier League football IMO - Im a big Spurs fan but I cant get anywhere near a ticket without paying twice face value, Im sure its the same elsewhere too.

Rides
    That's why I don't go anymore The demographic has changed and the working class fan who was the backbone of the pre-Premier League era is now being slowly replaced by more affluent families who go to matches to sit and watch and leave 10 minutes early to beat the traffic. Problem is the clubs want it that way as they can extract more £££ from a family than they can a group of blokes. They'd rather have 100 fans paying £10,000 a ticket than 20,000 fans at £20 a pop and it's going to ruin football one day.

Rides
    Mate, its that bad that I ended up at Emirates 8/9 times last season as Im mates with some guys in a big syndicate

Watching Barca absolutely school them was pretty awesome though

Rides
    That's why I don't go anymore The demographic has changed and the working class fan who was the backbone of the pre-Premier League era is now being slowly replaced by more affluent families who go to matches to sit and watch and leave 10 minutes early to beat the traffic. Problem is the clubs want it that way as they can extract more £££ from a family than they can a group of blokes. They'd rather have 100 fans paying £10,000 a ticket than 20,000 fans at £20 a pop and it's going to ruin football one day.
    check the prices of Arsenal and Spurs season tickets. 1and 2 most expensive iirc. Followed by chelsea. In the PL.

Arsenal prices up 6.5% for next season. they aint won shit for 6 years.

Rides
    I take it you didn't have your Spurs shirt on Football is heading for an implossion if prices aren't sorted soon. It's not a sport anymore it's a business and the fans are just cash cows to be squeezed for every penny

Rides
    I take it you didn't have your Spurs shirt on Football is heading for an implossion if prices aren't sorted soon. It's not a sport anymore it's a business and the fans are just cash cows to be squeezed for every penny
    One of the reasons I only went to one or two home games at Anfield last season. First you have to be a member of the supporters club just to stand the remotest chance of getting a ticket, and then you have to stump up over £40. Add in over a tank of petrol, drink and food and it's just not feasible to make the 8-10 journeys a year we used to make . I doubt LFC care because there will be 3 other people desperate for tickets and willing to pay the money .

I started supporting Liverpool when I was about 6 or 7, so late 70s. Sadly, this means that I get accused of supporting Liverpool because they were THE team at that time. It isn't for that reason at all though. Quite simply, I started supporting them because my favourite colour at the time was red and they were the first team I saw on MOTD that wore red . I could so easily have ended up supporting/following any other team, but it's always been Liverpool for me and always will be. I've never lived North of Cambridge in my life (not even for my college days), so I guess I'll have to continue with the accusations of being a glory hunter .