Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a scooby

Rides

Thinking of getting a scooby

I'm thinking about buying a 1995 subaru imprezza in red and it's turbo. It has no MOT so unsure what is wrong with it. Engine runs fine. What would you guys say it's worth. Seller want's 1K. I don't think it's worth it. It's not the wagon model and it's UK spec.

Rides
    Worth 500 quid, probably less to be honest.
    Impreza's rust just as bad as S-bodys, so a 1995 model has a good chance of being rotten as ****, if it's not got MOT then thats probably a sign it needs a ton of work.

The UK model is the least desirable, they have much less power then a JDM impreza and less scope for tuning on the stock setup.

Impreza's, especially the cheap ones seem to attract some proper dodgy ****ers.

Rides
    OK, will view it and see what it's like.

Rides
    Chassis legs, sills, arches, subframe mounts, front and rear crash damage and, well you get the idea give it a thorough going over.

Last one I went to look at had fresh underseal slathered all over both sills.
    Problem was it didn't cover the fist sized hole at the front of the chassis legs

I ended up with a Clio 182 instead

Rides
    I saw one yesterday for the first time in ages and it was a right rotter. I remember years back they were starting to rot on the rear arches. Hopefully my one is just gathering dents and not rust in the shed. I think the uk ones are only 200 hp and have the smaller TD04 turbo. The jap wrx ones had 240 or 260hp depending on the age and a tdo5 turbo. I think thats how it was but its been a while.

Rides
    Thanks for the advice. Should be looking at it tomorrow. Can't see the guy coming down in price though.

Rides
    There's tons of them out there, don't feel like you've gotta buy the first one you come across.

The later 1999-2000 models had 4-pot brakes and 220bhp as well.

Rides
    I know, it's just handy because it's walking distance away. I'm not dying for one so I wont buy it with my heart. I'm dying for an RX7 but they are out of budget lol. Will see what happens.

Rides
    When I was looking at UK turbo 2000s I was looking at 2k minimum for s cleanish one. And even then out of 6 I viewed 5 were dogs. Just so many abused to the high heavens.

Rides
    Just been to view the car. It had holes in the front wings, excessively corroded sills/floor/chassis/front cross member. Wiring hanging down, filthy interior, bad paintwork. No handbrake or much in the way of rear brakes at all really. The engine sounded OK but it was suspiciously warm when I got there. Seller wouldn't drop price below 900 quid. Not buying it then. Waste of my time really.

Rides
    I think when they are a bit knackered they rattle for a couple seconds when cold so thats probably why he warmed it up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    When I was looking at UK turbo 2000s I was looking at 2k minimum for s cleanish one. And even then out of 6 I viewed 5 were dogs. Just so many abused to the high heavens.
    Yep they certainly attracted 'that crowd' unfortunatley the engines are quite sensitive to fiddling with, they don't support tons more power over stock and they require a remap for even small mods.
    Rule of thumb is if you see one with a boost controller then walk away, because if it'd been mapped then they would raise the boost with the ECU not a separate control unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Just been to view the car. It had holes in the front wings, excessively corroded sills/floor/chassis/front cross member. Wiring hanging down, filthy interior, bad paintwork. No handbrake or much in the way of rear brakes at all really. The engine sounded OK but it was suspiciously warm when I got there. Seller wouldn't drop price below 900 quid. Not buying it then. Waste of my time really.
    LOL!
    So I wasn't far off wrong
    Impreza owners - I don't know what it is, but they're a bunch of ****ing pricks!

Seriously dude, have a good look at Clio 182's - I picked mine up for £1400 and it's pretty tidy!

Quote Originally Posted by kxruss View Post
    I think when they are a bit knackered they rattle for a couple seconds when cold so thats probably why he warmed it up.
    The engines are known to develop piston slap, which you can hear on cold statup - it's not a massive problem tho.

Rides
    Personally if I could find an unmolested black classic I'd be happy, most of the "sensible" owners reckon a fmic /exhaust and a few bolts ons net a reliable 280-300bhp. Again I would only start with a decent mileage unmolested example though.

Rides
    Yea 280 is the limit of the stock TD04 IIRC, the injectors are big enough to push that power so don't need an upgrade.
    The main thing is getting a decent remap, the stock ECU isn't as forgiving as with Nissans, if you push the boost much past stock levels it just throws a fit and blows the engine.

I don't think the bottom end is very reliable much past 300BHP tho, afterall it's an open-deck block on the UK engines.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Impreza owners - I don't know what it is, but they're a bunch of ****ing pricks!
    I'll pass the message on to my wife for you

@Danielle, If you are looking for a cheap practical 4-seater performance car that handles then a bug-eye WRX (2002-2004) is a good bet. They aren't popular with the Impreza officianados who prefer the classic or the Hawkeye and sneer at the lesser WRX over the STi. This means there are still a few unmodified ones out there that have been fairly well looked after. They still pull pretty well with 225 bhp and a Moretti light conversion makes then a prettier looking car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I'll pass the message on to my wife for you
    Quite a few people have said that, but I'm telling you the Impreza owners I met when I was looking for a classic were such complete and utter bellends.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Quite a few people have said that, but I'm telling you the Impreza owners I met when I was looking for a classic were such complete and utter bellends.
    Oh well. If everyone else has already told her, at least it save me one job

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    I turned down one with MoT that I knew the history of for £750 ...........
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    What's that Mr Akimoto, you don't like Imprezas???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Akimoto
    Mr Akimoto does not like Impreza's, his 1200HP 233MPH 'worlds fastest 200SX' is vastly superior in every way.

There is no coincidence that Mr Akimotos homosexual personal driver 'Maximillion choses a WRX for his transportation, such a trend is sweeping worldwide by storm, the WRX is a bug eyed gay mans best friend.
    Being AWD it is non-threatening to any limp-wristed homo, its looks are non-threatening, and has 4 doors so all of their football chums can jump in and park in an industrial area to get their freak on.

Akimoto Community College recently conducted a study of Impreza owners and found 78.3% male drivers preffered cocksteak as an alternative to clam.

Mr Akimoto will await official statements from some Scooby Boys before he partakes in further evidence of this increasingly prevelent phenomena.

200SX: 1 WRX:0

Rides
    I was only going to buy it because it was cheap not because I wanted one. I'm not getting one now I'm gonna spend the money on my SX instead.

And not being funny but I wouldn't buy a french car if my life depended on it.