Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 51 Plate S14a

Rides

51 Plate S14a

Hello, my name is Ollie and im from the South Coast.

I've recently picked up a 51plate Nissan S14a, but 1st, a little about me.

I've previously owned a BMW e36 which i used for drifting. I done the usual mods and build a 2.5 engine for it. The car was great and i enjoyed it very much. I went to Santa pod but decided to hire out a beever tail so i could transport the van if anything happens. Last time i went there i drove in my MX5 and was paranoid about damaging it and not being able to get home.
    So after a few laps i was pushing harder and doing the fastest entry's i possibly could and i have ever been, Well chuffed with myself pulling 3rd gear and all... until i managed to hit the one and only bump bouncing me straight up into the wall.
    After getting back to the pits someone handed me a grinder and i literally cut the whole front end off. Anything that was in the way or rubbing was remove. Me and my close friends managed to make a zip tie contraption to hold a radiator in place and i went out again. Loved it.

I got home that night, sold the car in the morning, went 2 days without a car and then picked up a new 51 plate S14a.

Literally as i picked it up and sorting out insurance etc.

The car came pretty standard but with R32 GTST alloys, some funky oval exhaust, cone filter and some other odds and sods.

The car hadn't really had any maintenance body work side and of course, a few rust patches. The car was in and repaired within the same week, some crazy bird shit welds on the bits that was attempted to be repaired.

The next thing was to prevent it from coming back, so the stone chip came out... and more was found..

Now, one big problem with this car was the bushes were pretty knackered. Near on worst I've ever seen. I and currently in the process of poly bushing everything...

As the sub frame was completely shot i decided it was going to do it properly. My parents didn't know what to get me for Christmas so i hinted for some Drift works sub frame bushes and bought myself from new arms

By this point it was Christmas, and i do have a pretty awesome girlfriend who bought me a cat back back exhaust, finally got rid of the horrendous oval thing..

As i've always wanted a 14a i wanted to make sure i done everything properly, so i bought a new sub frame that is getting sent away to be powder coated. I don't want to have solid bushes but i didn't fancy paying £130 for the front and rear diff bushes from Jap speed so i opted for Energy suspension, it worked out at about £42 delivered.

So that's pretty much the rear of the car sorted out. I really tried to resist the drift works Christmas sale but i had to give in. I use to have these HSD on my bmw and i couldn't fault them.
    For short term i rerouted the arch loom but i think I'm just going to cut a hole in the fire wall and go through the bay with a big grommet.

Last edited by ollievigar; 18-01-2016 at 22:42.

Rides
    Frosty beeeeeeds!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Welcome, seen some of these pictures before on Facebook
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Welcome to sxoc Ollie looks like you have made a good start on it, whats's your future plans?

If you get a chance introduce yourself here http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...personel-check

And keep an eye on the Dorset and Hants section for meets/events (even tho i will probs invite you on fb!)

Pointz (Rich)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Welcome to sxoc Ollie looks like you have made a good start on it, whats's your future plans?

If you get a chance introduce yourself here http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...personel-check

And keep an eye on the Dorset and Hants section for meets/events (even tho i will probs invite you on fb!)

Pointz (Rich)
    Cheers guys,

My plans at the moment is to sort the suspension out. The rear subframe, bushes and arms are fitted next week as well as my diff welded while its out followed by a 4 wheel alignment. I want to get the bigger brake upgrade next and then move onto engine upgrades. I will be looking into some nice new wide wheels as well. The car will be drifted eventually.
    I've already done a drift night at my local track as i wanted to get a before and after comparison. It gonna take a lot of work before ill be happy with it.

Rides
    Last night I was a victim of an assault and crinmal damage. The guy attacked me and my car with a fence post with nails having out. After having the police take photos of my car I gave it a wash and tried to get most the damage out as he has no assets and I'm sure I won't see a penny from him...

I'm not really into this show polishing malarkey but I found it quite rewarding after a few panels..

Last edited by ollievigar; 23-01-2016 at 17:48.

Rides
    Wtf really where did this happen? Some real a'holes around atm Cameron had some prick snap his wipers off recently aswell.

Rides
    Update

Past few days i have been at my mates unit fitting my new powder coated sub frame, bushes, arms and even repaired a sill, even a bit of weld fell in the diff... The cars booked in on Tuesday for a full alignment and I'm excited to see how it handles and turns out.
    Anyway... pictures!

Rides
    Sooo alots happend since i've updated this so ill try and put it in the order i done everything.

First off, i finally got round to fitting my Rocker arm stoppers. It's only worth while to see the Tomei logo when you open your filler cap

I relocated my battery into my boot. I decided that i didnt like the open top battery trays and tie downs people use so i bought a battery box instead. I used a BMW e36 battery cable and and a distribution box i bought online. The box mounted nicely in an unused bolt hole in the shock tower and is out the way.

I wanted some pillar pods but couldn't find any that would be a direct fit. I've never done this before but i attempted to build a set myself. I'm surprised how it actually turned out. i bought a universal double pillar pod that i hacked down to get to a rough size for the pillar. I glued it down, added a few layers on fiberglass and sculpted it with body filler.

I've had this intercooler for a few months now and finally got round to fitting it. I bought a universal intercooler pipe kit but for some ridiculous reason i ordered 3" instead of 2.5" so had to exchange it. You may notice my clamps being upside down. Only done this for a few days to check for air leaks, I've tidied it up since then.

I bought some naughty wheels off my mate but because i was going from 16" to 18" i had to make more of a permanent way to stop the arch loom being scrubbed out. I done this by moving the loom from the inner arch to the side so there is no possible way for the wheel to touch it.

XXR 530
    8.75j fronts
    9.75j Rear
    ET20

Front wheels have elastic band tyres on and i have 4 degree camber so fitment is off but that will be getting sorted.
    Also picked up some new wheel bolts from Super Forma

Rides
    ...jump on the bonnet to push the front panel out..

it was none other than,,,,ME who gave you that pearl of wisdom.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    ...jump on the bonnet to push the front panel out..

it was none other than,,,,ME who gave you that pearl of wisdom.
    Absolute legend haha, it was a good day

Rides
    Great to see this. Was my brother in law's car (twice) till 2010. I'm guessing it wasn't still auto when you got it. Great to see it's getting some decent work/mods done.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ollievigar View Post

I relocated my battery into my boot. I decided that i didnt like the open top battery trays and tie downs people use so i bought a battery box instead. I used a BMW e36 battery cable and and a distribution box i bought online. The box mounted nicely in an unused bolt hole in the shock tower and is out the way.
    What distribution box did you go for mate? You got a link?

West Country REO

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtooth View Post
    Great to see this. Was my brother in law's car (twice) till 2010. I'm guessing it wasn't still auto when you got it. Great to see it's getting some decent work/mods done.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
    No previous owner had converted it to manual when i got it. It's such a small world lol. Is there anyway you can get any pictures of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    What distribution box did you go for mate? You got a link?
    This is it. I chose to go for a 3 way terminal style so that i can source power in the engine bay easily if i need to in the future

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/power-...00a-3-way.html

Rides
    Sent you a PM with a link to some pics. You taking it up to Japday?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtooth View Post
    Sent you a PM with a link to some pics. You taking it up to Japday?
    Thats amazing, photos are great. It's changed quite a big since then lol Nice to see the car with 1 colour arches lol.

I wont be at Japday as im working but i will be doing some events this year i hope lol

Rides
    First time i've ever used a car bar,

Rides
    That looks cool as f%*k.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlea73 View Post
    That looks cool as f%*k.
    Cheers mate

Rides
    Nightmare.

The last week has been the biggest pain in the ass so far with this car.

I recently got a japspeed turbo elbow and downpipe and got my mate to weld a flexi in the middle. He used a special jig so nothing could move when he cut it and everything lines up... More about this later...
    After not actually having a good enough look i thought i could get away with just unbolting the standard elbow from the car and fitting the new combo but i was wrong, turns out ide have to remove the manifold and do it all at once. I only bought a new genuine elbow gasket. Not the end of the world as replacing the manifold gasket wont be too hard to do at a later date if it don't seal.

Don't sound too bad right? Well... this is where it goes horribly wrong..

When removing the exhaust i noticed the actual manifold jiggle between the turbo. Somehow it wasnt blowing bad enough to notice even though it worked that loose. Great. need to replace that gasket too.
    I got brand new braided oil and water lines for the turbo for Christmas. what a great time to fit them! Everything went well untill i undone the oil feed. APPARENTLY when removing the oilfeed banjo it likes to take the threads from the block with it!

I used the banjo from the kit which was slightly longer and it tightened up. i thought i got away with it. while it was in my friend told me to double check the size of the banjo holes because Ball Bearing turbos have smaller banjo bolt holes... glad he told me because sure enough..

Now the threads are completely gone. Great. what to do. Everyone says helicoil.. i've never done that before.. a few others say chemical metal... ill give it ago says i..

Great, it worked. Added a few layers and i was laughing at the fact i've done by first bodge and it's working. Now, that exhaust. well this happend.

Some how it moved on the jig. We don't know how but it did. Was about 45 degrees out
    Had to cut and reweld the bugger.

So after about 2 days i took the car for a drive. sounded shit now i've disturbed the manifold and turbo gasket. But i had another megga problem. Turbo wise i'm completely standard yet for some reason i'm hitting 1.5 bar boost. i was so confused on how this was even possible as i normally hit 1 bar if that. Then i had an oil leak on the turbo. Manifold off yet again to fix the leak. For some reason i fitted a larger copper washer then the other. Easy enough to fix.

Fixed that and then continued to find this boost problem. I checked all hoses etc and couldnt find any problems. I ended up ripping the whole of the standard boost setup out. Even the charcoal canister got thrown across the drive. I bought myself a manual boost controller and closed it off. With that i could only hit 0.7 bar actuator pressure right? Nope. 1.5 bar again. How in gods name!? Must be the gizzmo! I went round to matts to try one of his spare gauges and sure enough i was hitting 0.5bar. Thank god for that. After leavings Matts i went round my girlfriends house which is literally around the corner. As i entered her road i started seeing all the smoke coming behind me.. i knew exactly what happened and pretty much rolled to her house. As soon as my front bumper touched her drive my oil light came on.. I quickly turned the car off.
    Chemical metal didnt hold. I now had what i though to be a big smoking paper weight stuck at my misses house and a huge puddle of oil on her drive... tricky conversation to her parents..

I ended up getting towed home and cleaned up the oil as best i could. I can't be dealing with this anymore. I'm doing what i should of done a week ago!
    Straight on the phone to "The Thread Wizard" booked in tuseday morning for a helicoil on the block. Phoned up Nissan all new black to mani and turbo to mani gaskets and Conceptua for new exhaust studs and lock tabs.

Monday came and i got all my parts so i got down to cleaning all the mess up. I removed the exhaust studs to fit my new ones and sure enough last one...

We tried welding nuts to it, drilling it and nothing. Everything we tried wouldn't touch it. Gave up and gave it to the thread wizard to sort out. It took him around 20 minutes to do the block. Jobs a gooden. it took him about an hour to drill out the stud. Turns out someone had fitted manifold block studs into the actual manifold.

I've replaced all gaskets studs and bolts. The car is working fine luckily with no serious damage. I will now be getting ready for Bournemouth wheels fest as i will be on the SXOC Stand