Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: performance problem stage3

Rides
    Jez (his username on here) at Horsham Developments.

If the injectors are not new, then check they are all the same (I heard once of a guy running 3 injectors of one flow rate and one of a much lower flow rate that was "almost the same colour"), that they are not sticking and get them are cleaned.

Cleaning injectors will not always increase the flow rate but it should always mean that they are all producing the same flow rate and thus be better balanced.

If they are new, you can probably put them at the bottom of the list of things to check.

The standard non-adjustable FPR is fine as long as it is in good condition and, as you are running 444s, you won't need to run higher pressure than standard. I'd save the money for something else.

Rides
    Hello,
    I have identified the problem. It was the connection between the camshaft and camshaft sensor.I drove the whole time with variable ignition timing!
    So I changed the camshafts and now the car goes really good!
    But now I have another question! I`ve installed an air/fuel gauge. If i give full speed the gauge goes under 10 A/F! I think that is not so good.
    Has anyone an idea what can I do?

regards, hannes

Rides
    sounds like you're about sorted...my one tip would be that a bigger intercooler would help your power...as would a good induction kit.

Cheers

Luke

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by HannesCB View Post
    hello,
    im from germany, so excuse my bad english.
    I was on Friday on a dynamometer.
    My Sx has a complete stage 3 setup. the result of the dyno was very disappointing. At 1,4bar it makes 261hp , at 1,5bar 235hp and on 1bar only 180hp. The performance curves looked like shit and starting from 4000rpm go only up and down. The guy from the dyno says, that the engine dont get enough fuel. I have checked the ignition timing and its on 15°.
    I have not yet a air fuel gauge, but I am already looking for some.
    It would be really fine, if someone could help me. Thank you
    That's way to much boost IMO. If your turbo is similar to a T28r it's max rated boost is 1.2bar. You are spinning its tit's off and generating loads of heat. Is a volvo IC going to cool the air sufficiently at that boost? I would have my doubts. Also do you have a MHG? I would not risk going over 1.2bar without one to be safe or 1.4bar without forged pistons.

You are probably maxing out the 444's and that's why you are running lean. I would turn the boost down to 1 bar to be safe or 1.2 max if you have no way of reading you injector duty cycle.

You really are pushing everything to there limit's IMO and probably won't have a happy ending.

Just my opinion anyways

Rides
    I`ve installed an air/fuel gauge. If i give full speed the gauge goes under 10 A/F! I think that is not so good.
    Has anyone an idea what can I do?
    Is it connected to a wideband lambda or the stock sensor?

I agree with twincam turn the boost down to 15 PSI, max 17 PSI but no more, the Volvo IC will be at it's limits and not cooling the air properly past then.

Rides
    thanks for the fast replys.
    I think the gt28r (gt2560r) has a maximum boost pressure of 1.5 bar?! At the moment i drive with 1,25 - 1.3 bar!
    Whats a MHG? Im from germany, please do not use so many abbreviations

I have Supertech forged pistons and apex conrods, so i think the engine can take the power!

@R3k1355: I have an Innovate Wideband LC1 and a GC3 gauge and the sensor is in the end of the downpipe.

Do i understand correctly, you think if i change the volvo IC against a bigger intercooler, the engine not run to fat anymore?

@Twincam... the power problem ive identified, its no problem anymore!

My only problem is, that i think the engine get to much fuel at full power! I read on Innovate Motorsports that a good value shouldnt be under 11A/F!?

Rides
    thanks for the fast replys.
    I think the gt28r (gt2560r) has a maximum boost pressure of 1.5 bar?! At the moment i drive with 1,25 - 1.3 bar!
    Whats a MHG? Im from germany, please do not use so many abbreviations

I have Supertech forged pistons and apex conrods, so i think the engine can take the power!

@R3k1355: I have an Innovate Wideband LC1 and a GC3 gauge and the sensor is in the end of the downpipe.

Do i understand correctly, you think if i change the volvo IC against a bigger intercooler, the engine not run to fat anymore?

@Twincam... the power problem ive identified, its no problem anymore!

My only problem is, that i think the engine get to much fuel at full power! I read on Innovate Motorsports that a good value shouldnt be under 11A/F!?

MHG= Metal Head Gasket

and the T28R is maxed out at aprox 1.2 bar, he can make more, but you'r taking is life away :P

Rides
    I got my information from:
    http://avid-speed.com/de/turbo/garrett_gt28r.htm
    There i buy my turbocharger!
    So I drive the whole time with almost 1.5 bar and think that everything is okay and I kill all the time my turbo What a shit

Rides
    Hello,
    ive change a lot of parts in the last time. So ive installed a new big fmic, a k&n air filter kit and a mongoose catback.

The engine pulls up to 4000-4500rpm without problems. Between 4500-7000rpm, the engine dropouts and it simply lacks the power. Air / fuel at full power is about 10,5. I think that at higher speeds the fuel is missing. Spark plugs are new NGK platinum.

With the Volvo Fmic, the Fujitsubo Exhaust and the standart air filter pulled the engine clean over the entire speed range. But the engine hasnt full power.

regards
    HannesCB

Rides
    if your air/fuel ratio is about 10:1, thats mean that you have too much fuel, not loss of fuel. that rich mixture mean loss of power. if not anything else, this rich mixture itself is problem.
    you should check boost leaks, if possible try to use another (proven) Z32AFM and really dont go over 17psi of boost pressure, as for this is your chip designed.

Rides
    Currently I ride with 17psi! What is a good ratio at full power? If there is enough fuel, how can it be that the engine hasnt enough air?

Rides
    I dont think that engine have not enough of air, but it have too much of fuel-from some reason. 10:1 is usual most rich mixture that most of widebands can read, so it can mean that your real mixture is even more rich. so reason is that engine have too much fuel, this for sure cause noticeable loss of power.

obvious reasons for too much fuel are wrong AFM, incorrect fuel pressure or boost leak.

obvious mixture at full boost should be between 11:1 and 12:1, but for sure not directly 10:1....if your wideband lambda shows direct 10:1, it can mean that mixture is even more rich...do you have black soot around exhaust end?

Rides
    okay thank you! the fuel pressure should be okay, there are all parts original. But i would check AFM and i would look for boost leaks.
    Thanks!

Rides
    I've just done a test drive. If I drive full speed at second gear the engine dropouts over 4500rpm, if I then shift in the third gear the engine makes no problems between 4500-7000rpm!

I driving now with 15psi. I tested with lower boost (6psi) and the engine makes no problems over the entire speed range.

Rides
    post all AFR data that you recieve during test..

Rides
    We made some new tests again. At 11psi the car makes no problems and at 13psi starts the problem with the dropouts. Ive checked another z32 afm and other ignition coils without results. We have seen for the spark plugs but they look also very good.
    Furthermore we have recorded the AFR values.They I would like to upload today or tomorrow.
    But you cant recognize any irregularities there.

http://backyard-tuning-cottbus.de/zk.jpg
    Last edited by HannesCB; 05-06-2009 at 18:37.

Rides
    So to sum it up you have

444 injectors (yellow)
    Z32 AFM
    Walbro
    Horsham Stage 3 chip

and you are running too rich. (which might be the reason for the low power)

Raddy is right about the 10:1 maximum readout of widebands. You could be running 9:1, 8:1 ... you simply don't know

Are you sure you have the Z32 AFM? Not Skyline or something?

Rides
    ive seen today on the logworks file the afr goes not under 11. So i think its okay!

Rides
    Here is the recording from Logworks. Begins at 7min.

http://backyard-tuning-cottbus.de/log.rar

Rides

At 1,38 the dropouts begin.