Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Research - S17 Silvia Concept

Rides

Project Research - S17 Silvia Concept

Hi all,

I am a final year Automotive Design student at Coventry University School of Art and Design, one of the worlds leading institutions in the Automotive Design industry.

I am currently researching the first of two projects that will count towards my final degree, and am in need of some user profiles, which is where you guys come in.

Quick Introduction to my project:

After reading a lot about Nissans new FR Concept, rumoured to be reviving the legendary “Silvia” brand, I was left somewhat unenthused. I have always been a huge fan of previous Silvia models and the related variants (180/200/240sx etc) and in my opinion the concept doesn’t do the name justice, combining bland looks with the possibility of an uninteresting small capacity V6 engine. With the recent release of the GTR and forthcoming 370Z, the new model is in serious danger of being overshadowed and resulting in complete disaster.

I am therefore undertaking the task of designing a follow on concept (aimed for release around 2020) with the possible title of S17 Silvia. I have my own brief pretty much sorted, but don’t want to give too much away just yet, as I need completely personal and unbiased responses from you.

If you could take the time to answer the following questions, and make any other comments on the subject, I would be extremely grateful. I will also try and keep this updated as my project progresses.

Many thanks for your time.

Robert Godwin

NB. I have included a few official and unofficial images of the 2010 Nissan FR concept at the end of this thread, for those who aren’t familiar with it.

------------------------------------------------

Please could you include your age, sex, location and occupation along with your comments.

1) What models of Silvia or SX Variants have you owned, and for how long?

2) What first attracted you to previous models in the Silvia range?

3) In your opinion, what aspects of the car(s) make it stand out from its competitors?

4) Do you see a place for a new Silvia model in the Nissan range?

5) What are your opinions of the rumoured S16 Silvia concept?

6) What would you look for in a new Silvia model? (Looks/power source/drivetrain etc)

7) Any other comments/opinions?

------------------------------------------------

Click to enlarge

Rides
    Well hello there! I think that a new Silvia would have to not look like a megane, or a 350z!

I really like the concept art, it needs to be light, rear wheel drive and preserve the silvia heritage

Please could you include your age, sex, location and occupation along with your comments.

1) S14a since 2006
    2) Looks, price, performance
    3) Looks, price and performance
    4) These cars are niche market cars, there is definatly a place for an economical, lightweight lively grand tourer in the range
    5) Not heard much about the S16 concept
    6) Looks, rear wheel drive, agile, reasonable pricing
    7) The silvia has been the best all rounder car that i've ever owned, not quite the skyline but more interesting than your average daily driver

25, male, aberdeen, IT manager

Rides
    Why 2020 as the target? (Are you taking into account the possibility that the S16 may be released and there will be need to be a replacement sometime after that?)

Age 30, Software Developer, Plymouth

1) S14a (1.5 Years), S13 (8 Months)

2) Price. Loved the S14a, and gave the S13 a shot as well.

3) Not many RWD jap car's out there with this level of price/performance AND relatively speaking, cheap tunability.

4) Hmm... Only as a baby model, more the 'tourer' as the 350/370 already have the performance crown as such.

5) Looks bland. Pretty much like the other models lol. Front needs a gril of some kind, it's too smooth, and needs decent headlight shapes. (Not wild, just aggressive looking, more like the S14a).

6) RWD without a doubt, decent diff, and balanced handling. It HAS to be a turbo, so easy tuning is there, and ensure it's a god spec engine that won't break with extra boost. Too many firms skimping to save a penny nowadays. Interior has to be slick as it's a tourer. Looks would need to be aggresive but sleek. I like the S15 er.. shoulders on the rear quarters, but prefer the aggressive look of the S14a. It can't ride too high IMHO, it needs NOT to look like a cheese wedge but more neutral on the chassis.

7) Perhaps get back to more of the sporty tourer of the S13 as well. Perhaps it's been made 'too' touring for it's own good. One thing it can't be is heavy, or look heavy.
    Last edited by Scougar; 31-01-2009 at 20:18.

Rides
    yes godders!!!

hows things mate?! you going to the meet tonight?

Rides
    Thanks for your input Deep Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    Why 2020 as the target? (Are you taking into account the possibility that the S16 may be released and there will be need to be a replacement sometime after that?)
    Thats exactly it, if an s16 model is released next year, there probably wont be a demand for a new model for another 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    yes godders!!!

hows things mate?! you going to the meet tonight?
    Evening bro, Im good thanks, stacked up with work at the moment though!

Havnt been down to ricoh for aaaages, may have to pop along tonight though, Is mr smales going?

Oh and answer my project questions bizzatch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Godders View Post
    in my opinion the concept doesn’t do the name justice, combining bland looks with the possibility of an uninteresting small capacity V6 engine. With the recent release of the GTR and forthcoming 370Z, the new model is in serious danger of being overshadowed and resulting in complete disaster.

Hi,

Would be interesting to know what you think the 200sx/Silvia name represents

Was you expecting a 350bhp monster The 200sx has never been an 'in your face' sports car hence its pisspoor resale values It has to fit into the model line up and that will be below the 370Z just like the S13 fitted in below the 300ZX

Its aim is to rival the likes of the Scirroco, lower end TT's and the 1 series coupe just like the S14's job was to go against the Prelude, Celica, Calibra and Cougar mid range coupes in the 20k bracket. Lets face it 200's only really come alive once you modify them otherwise all our cars would still be standard

I think you are expecting too much
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    i will be chauffering mr gavinda to the meet, to stop him sanding his rear bumper into non-existance more then anything lol.

1st time for me since ive been back to uni too so thought i'd make the effort.

dunno if you have ever been in a 200sx or anything, but your welcome to have a blat in mine/poke about and that if it helps you atall with the project?

21, South, Student

1) S14a, less than a year

2) Cheap, very tunable, RWD, plentyful parts supply.... it wasnt the car itself in all honesty... more the other bits that go with it. i decided on an s14a as its the best looking/most modern model i could afford

3) Other cars i were looking at were 4door skylines and rx7's. scared of repair bills on both. SR20 is easily fixed 9/10

4) Yes, but not that i would own one.

5) Not worth reading into, sounded real bland

6) Has to be turbo and FR and be a true coupe shape.

7) I chose an S14a more for what is was and what it was capeable of, looks came 2nd as this can allways be tailored to your tastes.... but then i was always going to modify it, and it was the best base i could find

Rides

S14a 200SX for 3 years

Affordable turbo power

3) In your opinion, what aspects of the car(s) make it stand out from its competitors?

Great value for money, cheap to tune

I do as en entry level RWD, but it would have to be quite tame compared to the 370Z

I havent paid too much attention

6) What would you look for in a new Silvia model? (Looks/power source/drivetrain etc)

Lightweight, simple smooth aesthetics. RWD essential. Basically a Hyundai Genesis:

7) Any other comments/opinions?

I originally wanted to do Automotive Design at Coventry, but I stupidly decided against it. Is it a good course? Do you have anything lined up career wise?
    Last edited by Quail; 28-01-2009 at 14:10.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hi,

Was you expecting a 350bhp monster The 200sx has never been an 'in your face' sports car hence its pisspoor resale values It has to fit into the model line up and that will be below the 370Z just like the S13 fitted in below the 300ZX

Its aim is to rival the likes of the Scirroco, lower end TT's and the 1 series coupe just like the S14's job was to go against the Prelude, Celica, Calibra and Cougar mid range coupes in the 20k bracket. Lets face it 200's only really come alive once you modify them otherwise all our cars would still be standard

very valid point.

thats what i was trying to convey. i chose an sx because of what its capeable of, how far you can take them for little money... rather than than how it was in stock form.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hi,

I actually 100% agree with you. They have always been a cheap, chucakble, slightly less refined sports coupe, and it will be designed as such, to fit into the nissan range below the 370z.

Power wise it will "probably" be around 250bhp standard from a turbo'd 4pot.

Rides
    Hmm.. some very good points there Mark. Especially about what the car is set to rival at the time.

What coupe's are currently on the market or likely to be on the market very soon. Where is their styling leading?

Rides

S14a for 3 years

Performance, looks, after market stuff rear drive, no driver aids (bar ABS and PAS)

rear drive

yes

as said, 350 ish, also a hint of lexus. heavy looking.

rear drive, no driver aids, agressive looks, turbo

Matt, 25, worcs, IT geek

Rides
    IMO the S13 was more of a "true" unrefined sports car than the S14, which is more of a comfortable tourer. Will your design have GT elements, or will you be focusing on more of a raw sports car?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    i will be chauffering mr gavinda to the meet, to stop him sanding his rear bumper into non-existance more then anything lol.

1st time for me since ive been back to uni too so thought i'd make the effort.

dunno if you have ever been in a 200sx or anything, but your welcome to have a blat in mine/poke about and that if it helps you atall with the project
    Haha yeah I've seen the picture's, the boys getting a bit serious!

That would be awesome though dude thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it

Rides
    With all the M3's around I would suggest that goign towards 275 to 350bhp would be a better target. Sx's have got progressively more powerful, and the S15 is already 250BHP.

Matthew

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Godders View Post
    Haha yeah I've seen the picture's, the boys getting a bit serious!

That would be awesome though dude thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it
    no probs man, if your there ill take yas out - its nice and wet

Rides
    With all the M3's around I would suggest that goign towards 275 to 350bhp would be a better target. Sx's have got progressively more powerful, and the S15 is already 250BHP.

Matthew
    M3 is more of a 370 rival tho?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quail View Post
    IMO the S13 was more of a "true" unrefined sports car than the S14, which is more of a comfortable tourer. Will your design have GT elements, or will you be focusing on more of a raw sports car?
    100% true sports coupe, pure drivers car. The grand touring package is already catered for in the Nissan range by the 350/370z and even the GTR.

Matthew
    Again though it needs to fit into the range below the 370z, which is 330bhp out of the box, so it needs to be below that. Obviously I'd love to spec a 400bhp monster lump, but it would defy the point. 275 would probably be reasonable. The project will have a heavy "tuning" vibe though...

Rides
    S14a, for 4 years now.

Well, I really wanted an MX-5 until I saw how big the boot wasn't. The SX was the first obvious alternative. (The next would probably have been an old BMW, but I did rather want a coupe.)

RWD, reasonable weight, reasonable economy - actually if you assume RWD, it has very few competitors.

Yes - as something less OTT, less focussed than the Z (as always! - S-chassis below Z-chassis).

Haven't paid it much attention. Genesis looks nice, but needs a small(ish) 4-pot turbo.

RWD, reasonable weight, decent economy. Actually, I think a sports/GT would be an excellent application for a mild hybrid, or a heavily-downsized compound-charged engine, or similar - sensible motorway economy with plenty of acceleration when you need it.

I'm really a Tesla Roadster owner at heart... just not rich enough!

I'm 30-35, male, living in Warwickshire, and a Chartered Mechanical Engineer.

Rides
    I think one thing to bear in mind here is that there are hardly any of us here that have bought this car from new - I don't want to sound sceptical, but I'm not sure of the use of this survey - surely your best bet would be to contact those who would buy the cars brand new - that's where the money you guys would get would come from, not from those who'd probably be parting with less than 6/7k for at least a 5/6 year old car, when all Nissan's profits have long since been spent?

Really sorry, not trying to sound arsy or non constructive, just make a point