Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HomePlug Networking

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    Im sure I can live without HAM radio
    These things splat over pretty much the whole HF band, can you live without all the other users of that band?

There's a bunch of ISM bands there, CB radio, ship-to-shore comms (though they'll be mostly out of range I suppose), weather station comms both voice and fax, long-range aircraft comms, RAYNET, MoD and not forgetting actual good old-fashioned radio stations.

Rides
    So is it correct that plugging these into extensions make them work crapper? Just I do not have that many sockets, so it would have to go into one of those things that has the extension block with 4 sockets on

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wokeye View Post
    So is it correct that plugging these into extensions make them work crapper? Just I do not have that many sockets, so it would have to go into one of those things that has the extension block with 4 sockets on
    It wouldn't make much of a difference.

Rides
    So is it correct that plugging these into extensions make them work crapper?
    I measured a drop of 8Mbps over FTP. They do work, just not as fast as when plugged into proper wall sockets.

Rides
    I have a couple of these running across my house, I went for the Solwise AV (200mbs) units which not only look nice, they are pretty quick too. Solwise sell 'pass through' versions too, with a socket on the back, so you don't loose important power sockets. They also have one with about 3-4 sockets on I think, which looks like an extension cable and finally one that is built into a router.

I run them from a Virgin line > Modem > Wlan Router then through Solwise AV into a second unit, then into Gigabit switch to my PS3, Netgear NAS and upstairs PC.

I've not tested performance yet, but with encryption on I was copying files waaay faster than I ever could over wlan.

I paid about £45 each for these units, so not 'that' cheap, but the reviews were very good on the net.

They get my vote

Rich

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
    I have a couple of these running across my house, I went for the Solwise AV (200mbs) units which not only look nice, they are pretty quick too. Solwise sell 'pass through' versions too, with a socket on the back, so you don't loose important power sockets. They also have one with about 3-4 sockets on I think, which looks like an extension cable and finally one that is built into a router.

I run them from a Virgin line > Modem > Wlan Router then through Solwise AV into a second unit, then into Gigabit switch to my PS3, Netgear NAS and upstairs PC.

I've not tested performance yet, but with encryption on I was copying files waaay faster than I ever could over wlan.

I paid about £45 each for these units, so not 'that' cheap, but the reviews were very good on the net.

They get my vote

Rich
    Sounds like a great solution but a bit out of my current budget

I might just get myself a wlan router on g band for now and then get some sort of homeplug system later on when I can afford it

Rides
    Hey *****, you can get the slower units for much much less money.. most are easily capable of handling anything your internet can throw at it.

I had to get faster units as I stream music / video from a network storage box to my PS3...

Rich

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    I measured a drop of 8Mbps over FTP. They do work, just not as fast as when plugged into proper wall sockets.
    Thanks for the reply mate but I am stupid What did that mean in percentage-wise of your overall speed please

Rides
    Thanks for the reply mate but I am stupid What did that mean in percentage-wise of your overall speed please
    From what I've read on the home plugs the decent units run at 85bps so a drop of 8bps will be just under 10%.

the units Richy boy has are 200mps so 8mps would be a measely 4% drop

Rides
    what you have to remember is everyone gets hung up on the speed. With a good wireless connnection the majority of people out there will only get 54mpbs and thats with a rock solid connection so the 85mpbs plugs will be as good if not better but also wont fluctuate (how do you spell that) on connection so much or even better wont drop out.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    what you have to remember is everyone gets hung up on the speed. With a good wireless connnection the majority of people out there will only get 54mpbs and thats with a rock solid connection so the 85mpbs plugs will be as good if not better but also wont fluctuate (how do you spell that) on connection so much or even better wont drop out.
    yeah makes me laugh, they all bang on about the wireless needing to be at least 54mbps but then their broadband connection is 2mbps (so in reality lucky to be 0.5mbps).
    also with a wireless connection you get slightly more lag than a wired one (takes longer to communicate with things on the internet as it takes longer for the signal to travel across your network) which is why I went for the homeplug system, also I got fed up with the wireless connection randomly disconnecting.
    bovvered?

Rides
    Just to let you know that quoted speeds mean absolutely nothing. For instance, I have a pair of Zyxel PLA401 200Mbps homeplugs. To see how fast they would go I plugged them in next to each other in a double wall socket and copied some 700MB files from one PC to the other. I never saw more than 42Mbps and that was over FTP (less overhead - works at lower level than regular SMB, NFS, etc).

Rides
    Ok cheers guys I think I understand now Will order some I think

Rides
    Has anyone else noticed how the Zyxel units have gone up in price over recent weeks? You're now looking at £139 for a PLA-401 200mbps twinpack and £66 for a single (Amazon).

I paid £50 for a twinpack delivered a couple of months back. I ended up getting myself one of the Zyxel ADSL routers with builtin homeplug (£55 off eBay) but because it doesn't have a Broadcom modem chipset I'm only able to download at 80% of my line's full potential (with Be) so I want to go back to my Netgear DG834 and another PLA-401 single but I'll be damned if I'm paying £66 for it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how the Zyxel units have gone up in price over recent weeks? You're now looking at £139 for a PLA-401 200mbps twinpack and £66 for a single (Amazon).

I paid £50 for a twinpack delivered a couple of months back. I ended up getting myself one of the Zyxel ADSL routers with builtin homeplug (£55 off eBay) but because it doesn't have a Broadcom modem chipset I'm only able to download at 80% of my line's full potential (with Be) so I want to go back to my Netgear DG834 and another PLA-401 single but I'll be damned if I'm paying £66 for it.
    Almost everything has gone up in price because of the exchange rates

As an example, I've just ordered a toner cartridge for somebody and it now costs me £150 where it cost £106 back in December . In effect, my cost price is now higher than I sold the last one to the customer for. Funnily enough, the customer was not amused

Power supplies, cases, routers, you name it, it's probably gone up. Very little has actually dropped in price over the last 3 and a bit months

Rides
    Saw these if anyone's interested...

Extra Value 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/42011...werline-adapt/

Pretty good price for 200Mbps ones

Rides
    i am looking at getting a set of these. The modem router is downstairs where the phone socket is, and I use the laptop upstairs wirelessly.

I now have a NAS to add to the setup, but it isn't wireless. It could sit downstairs and be hard wired to the router, but as it has printer sharing, I want it in the office.

if i get a dual port one, and run the pc and NAS from it, does the pc get a direct connection, or will it still go back to the router? Also the multiple port ones seem to be 85mbps not 200.

would i be better off with three units? or howabout a wireless bridge instead?

I also want to use the NAS for a bit of document hositng via ftp

Rides
    anyone?

Rides
    helloooooooooooo, anyone in?

Rides
    ok if I understand it properly, you ideally want the NAS upstairs as it can host a printer but aren't sure if you get a dual port Homeplug it will slow it down to 85Mbps?

Do you even need homeplugs? Why not just have everything apart from the router upstairs and buy a little hub to connect your PC to the NAS?

How many comps need access to the NAS?
    Last edited by Mr G; 13-10-2009 at 09:53.