Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HomePlug Networking

Rides

HomePlug Networking

Anyone used/using it?

I'm thinking of using it to get from the router to my bedroom for the xbox 360. No chance of running a proper network cable unfortunately and whats the point spending £60 on an xbox wireless network adapter when HomePlug things are £45ish

Is it just as fast and reliable as an ethernet connection? (yeah I know a lot are max 85mbps but I mean in terms of ping responses)

Does it ever trip those protector thingies in the fuse box or cause any other problems?

Apparently some don't work with the xbox media extender? (not really bothered about this as the tv/xbox is next to my pc though)
    http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/XBOX_360.html

I assume you can plug a hub or switch in at one end and a router (BT Homehub) at the other? (so I can have my laptop, desktop and xbox networked by cable instead of wireless)
    Last edited by Ghazoobe; 12-01-2009 at 09:56.
    bovvered?

Rides
    I've recently taken the plunge with a pair of Zyxel PLA401 200Mbps Homeplugs. To say I'm impressed is a massive understatement. Just plug them in and they work!! Over FTP I've never managed to get more than 42Mbps tho but that's a massive improvement over Wireless. It's rock solid too. I needed them as I want to stream HD media from my PC upstairs to my my KAIBOER K100.

I got them for Amazon for £50 delivered but they've gone up since. I think they're around that price on Scan though.

My advice is go for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLA-401-Powe.../dp/B0012NRYY4
    Last edited by Mr G; 12-01-2009 at 10:01.

Rides
    I use them .... work absolutey fine !

Rides
    kewl

have either of you tried it with a hub/switch at one end as well? all the diagrams/descriptions on the websites where they are for sale seem to suggest you need a homeplug adapter for each device, but I'm thinking this is just because they want to sell more or assume you don't have everything close together?
    bovvered?

Rides
    Good question - no is the answer. Can't see it not working though. Bit shit if that's the case. Will try later when I get home.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Good question - no is the answer. Can't see it not working though. Bit shit if that's the case. Will try later when I get home.
    cheers

I know the simplest solution would be to buy one of the homeplug adapters which has 3 ports on it, but they are like £10+ more and I have a switch lying around unused anyway so could save myself £10+ by using that with a homeplug adapter which only has 1 port
    bovvered?

Rides
    yeah I go from a broadband router into a wireless router, that is plugged into a homehub, the other home hub is upstairs and plugged into another wireless router.

All in all, they all talk to each other, just fine ... .although thanks to my house builder wireless capability is limited to the same room the wireless hubs are in !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    yeah I go from a broadband router into a wireless router, that is plugged into a homehub, the other home hub is upstairs and plugged into another wireless router.

All in all, they all talk to each other, just fine ... .although thanks to my house builder wireless capability is limited to the same room the wireless hubs are in !
    kewl

guess I'll be ordering some homeplug adapters when I get paid (roll on the end of the month )
    bovvered?

Rides
    Doh, in fact I do know that answer cos that was something I tried when I first got them and I was messing about with them. Yeah they work through a hub.

I had one plugged into a wall socket with the CAT5 cable going into a spare port in my Netgear DG834 and the other plug was connected to my xbox elsewhere in the house. Now, I have a seperate WiFi AP (connected to the DG834 via CAT5) which my PC connects to and I was able to FTP to the xbox.

so yeah it works.

Rides
    I use the zyxels above, one end plugs into my Gigbit switch, then a gig link to my router and there are no problems at all

Rides
    My parents have a set of Zyxel 85M ones as wireless was terrible in their house, they work a treat.

Rides
    cheers guys

my wireless has just been proving why I need the homeplug networking instead, sitting here browsing sxoc and its disconnected from the router 3 times in 5 mins
    bovvered?

Rides
    BT use them wholesale for their BT Vision service (can you tell what I do ).

They use the Comtrend models not the Zyxel kit and when they're up and running they're fine. If they go wrong your generally screwed however.

By the way, I can't speak for the Zyxel kit but take a look at their power consumption. Comtrend models are astronomical. Certainly something I wouldn't use ever.

Again, if the Zyxel kit works in the same fashion as the Comtrend kit then you can have hundreds in the house. They have their own indepedant IP addressing so you could have around 255 around the house if needed. However, you'd probably be using about 10gigwatts of power a second if you did!

Oh and you can plug either end into a hub/switch/router etc. However, I have had the occasional problem if you run more than one homeplug/powerline adaptor off one hub/switch/router.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross B View Post
    BT use them wholesale for their BT Vision service (can you tell what I do ).

They use the Comtrend models not the Zyxel kit and when they're up and running they're fine. If they go wrong your generally screwed however.

By the way, I can't speak for the Zyxel kit but take a look at their power consumption. Comtrend models are astronomical. Certainly something I wouldn't use ever.

Again, if the Zyxel kit works in the same fashion as the Comtrend kit then you can have hundreds in the house. They have their own indepedant IP addressing so you could have around 255 around the house if needed. However, you'd probably be using about 10gigwatts of power a second if you did!

Oh and you can plug either end into a hub/switch/router etc. However, I have had the occasional problem if you run more than one homeplug/powerline adaptor off one hub/switch/router.
    BT were useless and never offered us BT Vision with our broadband

I've found these ones which seem to be best for the money...
    http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...&prodID=B88306
    bovvered?

Rides
    I have the netgear 85mbps ones with the 4 ports on each end.. They work ace. I got fookiin sick of wireless... Gonna be flogging all the wireless kit when i move...

Rides
    I have used them they work fine

Rides
    This could be perfect for me. I'm having issues with my PS3 over a wireless connection. Anyone know if it'd work OK with a Flakit3? (I've got a Virgin cable broadband connection)

Rides
    Ghazoobe.

Just ring BT up that's what I did when I wanted these they sent the vision box out with it. I am on OPtion 3.

No new contract or anything.

They are rather good.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by parbados View Post
    Ghazoobe.

Just ring BT up that's what I did when I wanted these they sent the vision box out with it. I am on OPtion 3.

No new contract or anything.

They are rather good.
    no idea what Option I'm on as dad chose it

does it cost anything extra to have the vision box? or only to watch the films through it?
    bovvered?

Rides
    I use them-work fine.