Thread: Paint results from hammerite tin and brush?

Rides

Paint results from hammerite tin and brush?

hello,

My s13 is looking quite sorry for its self with the lacquer peeling off and fading areas of red. I cant see myself putting like 2 grands worth of paint on a £700 car so im thinking of getting some tins of hammerite...

Ive seen CH1EF's s13 from the forum painted green with a couple of tins of hammerite which didnt look that... bad.... though you could tell lol. but im wondering if i put some effort in choose a colour that wont stand out so much and take my time i can make it look alright...

Has anyone used a brush with good results before? do you have some pictures? do you have any tips on applying the paint the best way?

Thanks in advance!
    Alex

Rides
    I've sprayed a couple of cars with Hammerite smooth and TBH, they came out pretty well!
    Use the Smoothrite and mask everything properly, and you'll get reasonable results. The main drawback is the drying time, from memory it needs to "cure" for a couple of weeks before you can recoat it, or it'll wrinkle as it reacts with itself.

Rides
    erm... spray lol i was gonna use hammerite garage door paint and a brush... cause i dotn have access to the spraying equipment and i dont know how many rattle cans id need for the whole car.

Rides
    if your gonna brush its its 100% gonna look st*t, had a mate who painted his gt4 with a roller before and looks ok if you wernt close, if you just want it tidy why dont you paint it a matt colour like loads of people have already done, hasnt got to be black...

Rides
    A brush will look ****ing dogshit.

Foam roller it on, plenty of coats then wet n dry it back to smooth. Wont be easy, but you can get a good finish.

You could even go onto mopping/cutting compound and polish it up if you got gloss paint.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    I brush painted my first car (a 1982 VW polo that was the maroon colour that turned a lovely shade of brown over time) with Black hammerite smooth and its looked cack. But on a car like that I wasn't bothered. Eventually i rubbed it back and put one coat of spray tin H/rite smooth over the top which smoothed it out nicely (took bout of the large spray 4.5 tins for one coat over the whole car)

Wouldn't recommend doing it to a car you care about. But good luck with it if you go down that route.

Rides
    couple of cans of matt spray from halfrauds, 30quid job done!!

Rides
    work out what you want to spend on materials! (rough idea of cost below)

you need to flat the car with say400-500 wet&dry paper or fine grade scotch-brite pads which are better for a DIY job (£1 each you'd need 3-4) anywhere where there is rust sand it to bare metal, make sure the whole car has a matt appearance, leave no shineyness on the car
    spray the bare metal areas with "upol" etch primer (£6.50 a tin, 1 of)
    over that use a high build primer (£6.50 a tin, 2 off)
    mask the car up (£3 + newspapers)
    wipe it over with panal wipe (£10) so the surface has no small amounts of grease
    wipe it over again with a clean dry cloth

get your cans of spray paint from a car paint shop/supplier like jawel paints (autotrader) its around £7.50 a tin, i painted both sills in a non skimp fashion with 1 tin so i'd budget for 8 tins maybe 10, its decent paint & not too thin like halfrauds or paint from motor factors like carplan/holts

but be a careful when spraying, spray in thin coats one panel at a time

leave to harden fully over 2 weeks then flat the car very lightly with 1500-2000 grit wet & dry paper then use a cutting compound or t-cut to bring the paint to a nice glossy shine

i've done it! it turns out really well, when i do the sills on my silvia s12 i'll pop up some pics, i have spray equipment but the conveniance of quality rattle cars from a car paint supplier like jawel paints or brown brothers is mess free, (no spray gun cleaning etc)

Rides
    or dont listen to any ones advise and just do it lol, id quite like to see how it turns out, not to do it myself just out of interest really

Rides
    Hey!
    I would say don't use a brush! unless you want it to be that finish.
    I also didn't use hammer rite I used worse quality garage door paint, free fence post spray gun and no prep and no primer and a single coat. But I can spray properly so knew what corners not to cut. With time and a similar method it could look good.

My advice would be, Accept the quality your likely to achive. If you want a top finish just materials will cost you towards £150 and thats without the compressor, gun etc. or accept its a car that will get damaged and isn't worth the time and effort and go to the other extreme so its obvious it is definatly not ment to be a good finish!!

oh and heres a pic for anyone who is interested in what my finished looked like for £7.50

Rides
    £7.50? ROFL. Cool.

Rides
    That green car looks cool!! what was the green called ?? makes me want pea soup

Rides
    If it were me, I would spray it, not brush it.

Rides
    Same. The lighter coats will be easier to sand back as well if needed. Garage paint will crack and chip pretty easy I would have thought, but still... looks good in the photo lol.

Rides
    if it's an s13 then any old finish will be ok

now for something nice like a 14A you want to get it done properly.

Rides
    lol git