Thread: Debugging stutter / bogging / hesitation Nissan 200sx CA18DET from Portugal

Rides

Question Debugging stutter / bogging / hesitation Nissan 200sx CA18DET from Portugal

Hello nice people @ SXOC

I've been trying to debug stutter / bogging / hesitation issues in my recently bought Nissan 200sx s13 - CA18DET. The car is all stock (I think) except for a performance conical K&N air filter.

When I bought the car, just 1 month ago, it had a strange BoV, and while reving it stall / misfire @ 3k rpm.

In the meanwhile I removed the BoV, and the car got a bit better, now it revs to 7k, with some hesitation along the way. It's running rich, and the behaviour proves it, because when I punch the gas pedal in 2nd or 3rd it hesitates *hard*, but if I lift the pedal a bit it continues to rev.

Since then, I've cleaned my k&n air filter, changed the spark plugs (got the NGK Iridium ones), changed to gas filter (got a new one for the 300zx), and even tried changing the MAF.

Where should I go next ? ->

Lambda sensor
    Earth wiring
    Vacuum
    Turbo boost leaks

.... ?

Any help would be apreciated, since no real good mechanics that know these cars here in Porto, Portugal.

Thanks & keep it up

Peppe

Rides
    sounds like what mine is doing, think its a boost leak but i haven't been able to find it yet.

Rides
    start with the simple things that wont cost you any money...

Run down all the hoses and tubes..look for loose jubilee-clamps and cracks.
    Try undoing the lambda, if it makes a difference its fooked.

Then start buying a new fuel-pump Worth the money and a proven common fault.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by park_monkey View Post
    sounds like what mine is doing, think its a boost leak but i haven't been able to find it yet.
    Any idea on how to check boost leaks ? (yes, I am a total newb)

Rides
    forgot to mention : I also bypassed the hot start solenoid valve

Rides
    solved!

I installed a walbro and the hesitation is gone, really can't figure out why since it seemed like he was running rich, so ... WHY?

Thanks everyone who tried to help

cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by peppe View Post
    It's running rich, and the behaviour proves it, because when I punch the gas pedal in 2nd or 3rd it hesitates *hard*, but if I lift the pedal a bit it continues to rev.
    Quote Originally Posted by peppe View Post
    solved!
    I installed a walbro and the hesitation is gone, really can't figure out why since it seemed like he was running rich, so ... WHY?
    I'm pretty shure it was running lean then

I'm glad you sorted it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    I'm pretty shure it was running lean then

I'm glad you sorted it
    Never tought of it that way...

glad I work in IT

Rides
    I had a similar problem with my s13. under full throttle i had a massive misfire round 2500 revs and 4500 revs which almost felt like fuel cut but the car is completely stock. I found that i had a massive blow in the mani/turbo gasket. I replaced that and the misfire has gone but the car develops power in a really strange way and hesitates and the revs jump a bit between 2 to 3000 revs. this sounds like what you have experienced. does anyone think i should check anything else before splashing out on a fuel pump?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gflopp View Post
    and the revs jump a bit between 2 to 3000 revs
    Is that while driving or while revving in neutral?

Quote Originally Posted by gflopp View Post
    does anyone think i should check anything else before splashing out on a fuel pump?
    As mentioned in the previous posts, check for bost leaks and ditch the hot start solenoid.

Rides
    I've already ditched the hot start. It happens both when reving in neutral and when driving. when driving it is more felt and when just reving its more seen by the rev counter.
    The engine is also a little shakey when indling if that makes sense. and generally the engine just seems a little lazy in reving up too.
    when it was in the garage last month they did try and check for boost leaks and found nothing. also checked the wing intercooler

Rides
    In the past I've seen that kind of problems solved with injectot cleaner. But it was not on S13 and it seems to me that in your case the problem is worse than it was there.
    How many miles has the engine?
    Have you done a compression or a leakdown test?
    These tests can rule out pure mechanical problems.
    You could borrow a fuelpump from a fellow S13er. Keep in mind that you will need to replace the o-ring of the cover.
    partnumber

Rides
    My engine has done 99k but one 85 year old owner from new so I doubt it's been ragged. I have bought a walbro fuel pump and will fit it when I get a chance. What ring seal do I need?
    And what's a leak down test?

Rides
    The o-ring for the fuel pump cover has the Nissan partnumber 17342-01A00.
    I replaced mine with an industrial item in Viton (which is better than nitrile rubber) 120mm diameter, 4mm thick.

Link to the explanation of the leak-down tester:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester