Thread: Autobahn 88 intercoolers?

Rides

Autobahn 88 intercoolers?

ok so heres the story,im looking to get a intercooler and was thinking of getting the apex type 1,,but one of the local lads,are selling autobahn uintercoolers,,

just wondering does antone have any feed back on them and are they a good buy?

Rides
    My mate runs one and he doesnt have any probs with it.
    It could just do with being finished better from the factory i think....

Rides
    I've got one of them, they were on a GB a few years ago from Apex. Has been faultless for me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
    I've got one of them, they were on a GB a few years ago from Apex. Has been faultless for me.
    Same for me

The only negative is the pipework is ally so doesn't look as shiney and is very soft metal. Otherwise it's fine and the core is as well made as most others I've seen

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
    Me 3, mines been fine, Need to make sure the pipes don't rub anything. I had a significant gain going from an apex type 2 to the the autobahn one

Rides
    I had one as part of the GB from Apex.. I wouldn't bother, get a proper type 1 kit

1) The jubilees are cheap... I replaced all mine with B&Q ones which were soo much better! The Apex type 1's come with mikalor copies
    2) The pipes are made from paper thin metal and aren't shiney
    3) On my kit one of the lower pipes was no where near a perfect fit...
    4) Trying to remove the vaccum pipe underneath one of the pipes I managed to snap it off on the weld - very flimsy IMO.

The actual intercooler on the Autobahn kit is good though

Rich

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
    I had one as part of the GB from Apex.. I wouldn't bother, get a proper type 1 kit

1) The jubilees are cheap... I replaced all mine with B&Q ones which were soo much better! The Apex type 1's come with mikalor copies
    2) The pipes are made from paper thin metal and aren't shiney
    3) On my kit one of the lower pipes was no where near a perfect fit...
    4) Trying to remove the vaccum pipe underneath one of the pipes I managed to snap it off on the weld - very flimsy IMO.

The actual intercooler on the Autobahn kit is good though

Rich
    well im looking for somthing that will be a good buy and look well,does the apex type 1 come with shiny pipes,,i like my bit of bling also......

Rides
    DB Power do a really good intercooler kit which i have on my s14a ... I bought an autobahnn one and some of the pipework was wrong and didnt fit maybe just bad luck on my behalf tho.

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
    The jubilees are cheap... I replaced all mine with B&Q ones which were soo much better!
    B&Q clips are very good. They're actually "Terry" clips, IIRC, a very good brand.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    B&Q clips are very good. They're actually "Terry" clips, IIRC, a very good brand.
    Cheap too

I am a bit out of the Apex scene now, but their type 1 kits were shiney last time I looked

Rich

Rides
    I had one of these intercoolers on my starlet GT and i was great quality looked good,pipes were not thin,all pipes fitted spot on and all were really shiney great kit for the price.

Rides
    IMO, the real quality & cost of a fitment specific intercooler is in the pipework. It makes a real difference in the "overall" impression, I bet most of the people who have ever had issues have had them with pipework quality & fitment.

Most of the cheaper brands are all the same bar and plate design and mostly of the same design. Probably from he same bloody manufacturer too. I got one from 2fast2cool on ebay for my RX7 and the actual cooler was perfect. Works like a charm. The pipes were thin metal, easily scratched and tarnished, and the clips were about as useful as knicker elastic for sealing.

[pic whore mode ]

I swapped the clips from the thinner ones (on the bottom in the pic below) to the thicker ones (top) and it stopped all my problems immediatly.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8...g?t=1228308451
    Last edited by mattkeeber; 03-12-2008 at 11:55. Reason: repeating myself twice in 1 sentence & pic change

Rides
    Man i need to copy your setup

I'd be very surprised if a lot of the AB88 ones were that different to the ones that a fair few traders supply.

EDIT: AIRHORNS!!!

Rides
    Auto S14a... that kits looks nothing like the quality I had for my S14s...

I'll try to remember to dig out pictures when I get home - there was a thread about how bad th epiping fitted together somewhere which included a load of pictures.

Rich

Rides
    seems autobahn 888 and zena racing are quite good quality generally !

Rides
    Along the same lines.....

Is this cooler related to the autobahn units...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-200SX-S...ayphotohosting
    I understand they are all import specials but will this do the job?

I have a 15% off voucher from ebay so for like £160 delivered can I afford to leave it there?!!

All the best

Owen

Rides
    I do have to say that the pipes do tarnish easy but i'm going to remove mine and spray match them to my rocker cover

Rides
    i have a Autobahn 88 intercooler on my evo, cant fault it, good quality in my oppinion