Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rides

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi,
    I'm looking for someone to help me fit some parts to my car as im not very good at the fitting part of driving.
    i have all the parts already I just need someone to fit them for me.
    the parts that I need fitting are:
    coilovers
    ARB
    sub-frame locking collars
    Apex alignment kit

The garage is far to expensive so i cant afford to take it there. I'm hoping that whoever is able to fit the parts for me will also be able to show me how to do it myself for next time.
    Ideally I would like this done on a sunday and will need all of the work to be done in one day if this is possible as i dont have a second car to get to work in.
    Please contact me to arrange an actual date for this, and to discuss any other details at that time. also, i live in portsmouth and my garage isnt completely level. However, if this is a problem I am able to bring the car to a better location (eg. someone elses garage if it is flat etc).
    Please let me know if you can help.
    All help is appreciated, thanks
    jack

Rides
    coilovers are a piece of piss dude, other bits shouldnt bee too hard. im sure a few of us coud team up and come and do it, im game

Rides
    alright sounds good thanks.:-) now i just have to find some other people to help so we can arrange everything.. I also have meal tokens for everyone who can help ;-)
    Last edited by jacs14a; 07-10-2008 at 18:46. Reason: mistype

Rides
    afternoon bump

Rides
    I would come and lend you a hand but I'm away at the moment, do you have any tools, socket set, torque wrench, jack, axel stands... wd40?

Rides
    hi i have everything except axle stands n torque wrench but im sure i can figure it out pls let me know whenever u free then we start it from there many thanks

Rides
    Ok well I wont be back till the 24th! But if you still haven't got it sorted by then, I might be able to pop over by then, could even get my exhaust system sorted if I have it delivered by then.

I would get the coilovers done first probably, expect 1-3 hours of work for this depending on how fast it can get done, you'll also need some spring compressors to take the existing shocks/springs off. Probably leave the subframe collars alone for now. Thing is once you have the other 3 bits done, you'll also need to take your car for an alignment check/tracking.

Worth waiting and getting all of this done properly, if its your daily driver.

Rides
    ok thanks ameano i will let you know if i haven't got it sorted and do u know any good place to do the alignment?
    do u know how long it would take to fit all the above items?(if we got 3/4 ppl)

Rides
    coilovers - 1-2 hours
    ARB - 1-2 hours
    sub-frame locking collars - 1 hour
    Apex alignment kit - ???

Guess the alignment kit and ARBs will be done at the same time, depends on the experience of the persons involved. You want to make sure all of this is done properly, after all it is your suspension! id leave the locking collars till last

As for alignment checks you should be able to do it any reputable garage, might be worth getting the whole thing done, ie alignment (for correct camber etc), tracking (for correct steering position) (as far as im aware).

search the forums though, there is a tonne of info on a lot of these including a guide on how to fix apex coilovers

Rides
    have you fitted all the items above before?

Rides
    nope

Have replaced the rear suspension with standard ones after the shocks started leaking, thanks to another board member. So have learnt a bit, I've spoken to quite a few people about the above bits and done my own research... the only one I personally won't touch yet is the alignment kit as have no clue, subframe locking collars also need to be done very carefully as if you snap the subframe bolts, well then you're pretty screwed! hence why haven't done mine yet - perhaps we can get them done on the same day or something.

If you can find someone experienced and need another helping hand then I should be able to come up your way.

Any idea how to fit a front pipe?

Rides
    i did tried to find someone experienced in my area and here but no one reply at all apart from you and lou think i have to go to the soton meet to get someone experienced to team up aswell
    thanks for all your advice and reply
    as down pipe i haven't got a clue cos i still using the stock one sorry

Rides
    no worries dude, yes goto a meet, thats how I met other people and got mine sorted

Rides
    Hey, well im taking your last bit of advise and heading to a meet on sunday... (if i can get off work)... hopefully ill be able to find someone who can help me there and should be able to finally get it sorted...
    thanks for all your help.

Rides
    Coilovers are simple as pie, alignment kit is easy enough, never done locking collars but I'll bet they're a damn sight quicker than replacing the bushes like I usually do!

ARB's are cake too, it's all suspension related so all in and around the same place.

The most important thing to remember is to soak everything in WD40 the night before and the day you do it and get yourself a 2ft breaker bar. Them bolts on the alignment arms are a fecker if they're rusted

Worse thing is, no matter how you try to measure them, you WILL knock out the suspension big time. You'll have to get it ALL aligned properly before you can drive it any distance. It'll be dangerous to drive without it being done. Probably cost you a few quid to get it all checked.

Rides
    Right,

Jac as discussed today, we'll set a date to get a few of us together to do most of the bits in one go try and get the alloys beforehand if you can then you can get alignment done in one go.

Either down here or up there is fine mate.

Rides
    i can help too if needed ... got no clue on what needs doing but am a fast learner ...

Rides
    I'm always willing to lend a hand and a couple of spanners (provided I'm not working)

Rides
    I'll be back home on Thursday, might be able to pop over sometime as I could lend a hand and would like to see how some of the other stuff is done, just post on here when the date will be!

Rides
    i can also only make it after the 1st of November as my car has a knackered engine at the moment ...