Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My new car - American V8ness

Rides
    to me 5k seems like an absolute steal for a car that age, if it's in as a good a condition as it looks!

Rides
    yep £5k

Rides
    £5k is an outrageous bargain!!

I was expecting it to have cost at least twice that. I'm now even more jealous.

Rides
    that is sooo awesome

Rides
    *goes off to persuade nearest and dearest than a DC2 isn't the way to go... *

Rides
    £5k ! ! ! Awesome ! that is a massive surprise, I had no idea they were that price, I was thinking more like £12k when I saw it It looks like its in great condition.

Rides
    Thought I'd provide an update...

On Friday just gone I decided to do some work on the old girl. Sometimes the car has suffered from a cough and splutter either after sitting in traffic for ages or at high rpm with the juice pedal planted.

It felt like fueling so I check the carb's float levels and they're fine. Whilst I'm there I checked the ignition and the rotor arm and cap were worn. Also the temp gauge wasn't really coming up much, so I assumed it didn't have a thermostat installed.

So Saturday, I did plugs, new cap and rotor arm and changed the thermostat. It did have a thermostat in there but a 160 not a 180 like it should have.

Good news was that in ran a bit stronger but the issue was there at the top end. I can now only assume it's down to the float levels dropping on a boot or the secondary jetting is too lean. So might be the fuel pump not supplying the fuel when its on demand. I've ordered a new one, was only £40 and if I'm going to remove it I may as well just replace it with a good one.

That was saturday and all seemed good.

However Sunday went down hill a little. I decided it was a good time to remove the starter with the view of cleaning up the drive mechanism and maybe get it to shunt further so hopefully it will crank the engine when its hot.

Well its really bloody worn out and nothing can be done to save it. A few adjustments didn't see any result and in fact made it worse as its so tired. Funny thing is, it's the wrong starter motor. And then thats because its got the wrong gearbox on it. Oh and if you think a starter on a 200sx is hard, just try to get the 3rd and final bolt in place when refitting this bugger of a motor. I had to take the bonnet and passenger side mahoosive hinge off to be able to get the right angle to fiddle the bolt tighter.

Oh and don't ask your dad to help. The silly bastid came over and asked how I was getting on. I explained the bolt was being a bitch so he offered to help, but I told him the only way I can see round this is to remove the bonnet. Nope he doesn't listen, and guess what... Somehow the bolt ends up falling in to the bellhousing which was nice. Luckily I got it out, with a magnet but I did cry at the thought of removing the box.

Today the starter found its way to a rebuilder who said its really badly worn, and I have a new one on order to replace this one.

I'm just hoping it resolves the issue and matches the box properly, tonight I'll get under to try to ID it.

Rides
    I always thought owning a car like that was going to be a proper wallet killer.

Amazing at how little the car and parts seem to be costing

Rides
    Does it do MPG or is it GPM

Love old school yank tanks, silly engine sizes and V8 noise FTW

Rides
    Just looking at that car makes me sex wee. I couldn't own one though. I'd ruin it by making the engine use electronics for timing and fuel.

Rides
    Wrong gearbox? Wrong Starter Motor? for the model? year? Is it a problem e.g. do you get meshing of the drives?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin T View Post
    Just looking at that car makes me sex wee. I couldn't own one though. I'd ruin it by making the engine use electronics for timing and fuel.
    Some people have converted yanks to fuel injection, but I don't really see the cost benefit. Mapped timing might be beneficial and maybe a lean cruise but fuel economy doesn't worry me. I don't drive to work in it.

Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben View Post
    Wrong gearbox? Wrong Starter Motor? for the model? year? Is it a problem e.g. do you get meshing of the drives?
    Well the starter wouldn't engage properly when hot. So I wipped it off and it was different to the starter motor shown in the service manual. I then thought about things and realised that a pull drive starter wouldn't fit inside the bell housing. I then realised the box was changed and have spent some time ID'ing it. Good thing is it's a C6 box which is a much better stronger box.

It's either from a '75 Ford Truck or a '75 police car.

Well a motor has been ordered and the starter motor shop will have it in tomorrow and hopefully I get a chance to fit it in the next week.

Rides
    Why would you want one of the yanky gasguzzlers?

Rides
    my cousin just sold a white one of these looks nice

Rides
    Just watched the Vid Is there a better sound that a dirty vintage V8

Rides
    Thats amazing!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Some people have converted yanks to fuel injection, but I don't really see the cost benefit. Mapped timing might be beneficial and maybe a lean cruise but fuel economy doesn't worry me. I don't drive to work in it.
    Very true but I just have so many bad memories of distributors and carbs it's tainted my view of them
    IMO a car like that should be left with carbs and mechanical ignition anyway hence me saying i'd ruin it

Rides
    very nice car 30PSI
    you cant beat the sound of a V8
    i've grown up with them, here's a pic of my dads 440ci 1970 plymouth duster's V8, tunnel ram, twin double holleys, msd ignition and noz are just a few mods he's done
    he's had it since i was about 8 or 9, i'm now 34

Rides
    That looks cool Greavsie, whats it go like?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin T View Post
    Very true but I just have so many bad memories of distributors and carbs it's tainted my view of them
    IMO a car like that should be left with carbs and mechanical ignition anyway hence me saying i'd ruin it
    The only thing I hate from those days is points/condensor, thank god for electronic ignition I say, but dizzy's and carbs are ok. Well as long as its not Ford VV carbs that is