Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: My new car - American V8ness

Rides
    Wow. A fair bit more work than initially thought, but its looking a whole lot better for it

The engine bay looks lovely and clean too, only thing letting it down is the servo mainly, and possibly the hinges.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Cheers Pabs. Yeah the servo and one of the hood hinges is a bit minging. I'll probably address those in time.

I assembled the other rocker shaft yesterday and got one of them fitted. Didn't get much done because of other committments. I need more free time...

There's a list of things that still need doing. From memory:

Add PCV to inlet and link this to brake servo
    Get an assortment of return springs and fiddle with with the carbs
    Connect headers up to existing system
    Make an oil pump priming tool
    Sort out MSD wiring and setup the distributor and test it will start the engine.
    Re-route both engine earth and starter motor power so they're away from headers. Am hoping I don't need to make up new cables.
    Fit timing cover, water pump etc and other front engine bits.
    Fab up kickdown bracket. Fab up on a lathe a large pin on carb lever for a Lokar cable to connect to. It's tight for space on the gearbox to get to the lever. Hopefully I don't need to drop the box.
    Start it up and have a beer...

Rides
    Got a fair bit done yesterday... Exhaust is all connected to the headers, timing cover and water pump on. I made up the MSD leads. The header tank is brass which I polished when I was bored waiting. I'm not sure if it clashes with the chrome, but I might paint it black... Not much to do now, I have to fit the radiator and power steering pump, charge the battery then it's good to start up.

The carb linkage is all working now

Rides
    Well the car has been up and running for 2 weeks. I'm taking it easy for the first 100 miles and then I'll drop the oil and inspect the valve train.

Anyway yesterday I'm driving to a car show and the engine suddenly lost power, popped and banged out the exhaust and died. I came to a halt on the A127 under the M25. Nice dangerous place.

I expected the worse. Because of the dramatic way it died and the banging out the exhaust I new it was ignition related. The engine had compression so it wasn't the cam but I convinced myself it was the distributor shaft sheered.

Later on testing revealed the rotor position was fine and I was getting a spark from the coil. It wasn't coming out of the cap though. Checked the rotor and cap, nothing seemed wrong. Bent the centre tab up and still not starting.

Conveniently my Dad has an MSD distributor too in his Corvette. I tried his rotor arm and it started up! His is 4 years old. Mine has done 50 miles and they are identical in dimensions. I can't see what's wrong and why it failed so quickly. I'm baffled.

Rides
    That's a bummer but it sounds like it's an easy fix.

Rides
    glad its nothing too serious, i remember on my datsun i put a new contact breaker and dizzy etc in and a tiny little rivet in the new breaker had fell out and was arking causing a big misfire until it died 2 mins from home.

Rides
    Found out what's happened. The rotor has allowed spark to jump out of the bottom of it for some reason. This then ended up being the easiest route for the spark so the engine conked out.

Rides
    So the car has now done about 700 miles.

There's been another mates wedding...

After the wedding was out of the way I've been fettling and working the engine harder. I've had no idea what the RPM was so I've fitted a retro Sunpro tach. I've been also re-jetting the carbs to optimise them a bit and have got rid of a mid range flat spot that I had. Also been adjusting the timing curves with the MSD distributor.

There has been a downside to the extra performance. One of the front brakes completely crapped itself over the weekend and the linings come clean off the shoes. Fortunately I managed to buy new shoes on Saturday and get them changed.

Disc brake conversion is now needed quite urgently...

Rides
    Very cool car please clean your inbox message, I need to pm you.

Rides
    Thanks mate. PM box cleared...