Thread: HIDs for S14a

Rides

HIDs for S14a

Hi

Got my S14a yesterday and the first modification I want to do is HID lights. Which ones to people recommend and how much should I be looking to pay?

I know there are loads of cheapy kits on ebay but I'm not sure what to make of them. Can anyone recommend a decent supplier at a reasonable price?

Do people also change the side light bulb for a more white one? I'm thinking it might look a bit strange with a HID main light and yellow side light.

Thanks

Rides
    Horsham Developments on here have kits

Changed my sidelight bulb to a slightly different shade to match, though its a bit of a grey area on legality

Rides
    I would definitely buy off a trader on here as ballasts can sometimes be faulty straight out of the box and they'll sort you out - one of the benefits of using club approved traders.

If you use 5000K bulbs they'll be nice and white and will show up your sidelights as very yellow. LED "501" replacements from ultraleds match them much better but give much lower light output as the viewing angle in narrower on LEDS. I had to swap back to normal bulbs for the MOT as they get sniffy about them, but you then put them straight back in afterwards.

They're a great mod and you'll appreciate the extra light now autumn has arrived.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Flik View Post
    Horsham Developments on here have kits

Changed my sidelight bulb to a slightly different shade to match, though its a bit of a grey area on legality
    Grey area? You mean changing the side light bulb? Why is that? What number i.e 43000k did you go for?

A quick serach on the net and I came across these? Anyone bought HIDs off ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-200SX-S...d=p3286.c0.m14

Rides
    Hmmm, wonder why I bother posting sometimes when replies aren't read.

4300K or 5000K for the HIDs. 6000K gets blue and the MOT requirements require you to have "an appropriate colour" or some such wording, which basically means not too blue. 43000K would be in the ultraviolet.

Did you read the bit about going to a trader, from both of the replies you've had?

Rides
    Apologies, but in my defence when I had started to write my reply I had only read Flik's post and your one wasn't on there

Now to convince the Mrs that I need to spend more money to replace lights that already work!

Rides
    By the way, loving the side profile of Fliks car in the signiture. How much is it lowered by?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Definately use one of the traders mate I have one of the horsham dev kits and it's quality, i've got the 6000k kit as recomended btw Still need to change my sidelights for leds but am so skint right now
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Have you had any issues with MOT on the 6000k kit?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'll tell you next week Can't see it being a problem tho
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    nice one, thanks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo_uk View Post
    By the way, loving the side profile of Fliks car in the signiture. How much is it lowered by?
    A lot, on tein flex coilovers, never really measured it yet though

Rides
    Get them from Jez

All the MOT guy did was re-adjust the right side so it was aiming correctly

I have 6000K and upgraded the "high beem" and side light bulbs

Also wired it so they come on with the side lights - to get around the on/off when you flash

Rides
    Mine passed an MOT no probs (6000k bulbs)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by _shaun_ View Post
    Get them from Jez

Also wired it so they come on with the side lights - to get around the on/off when you flash
    Ahhhh, I never thought of that . Did you do this because it can lead to problems with the HIDs if they come on when you flash or just as a preference?

Rides
    Ahhhh, I never thought of that . Did you do this because it can lead to problems with the HIDs if they come on when you flash or just as a preference?
    When you flash on the S14a the main beam cuts off and the high beam come on - as you may already know.

This way when you flash or put the high beam on the main beam is always on

It's not supposed to be good for the HIDs if they are on/off (flashing) - it supposedly shortens there life I am not sure but no harm in avioding it

Thsi way saves having to get relay kits etc. Once you don't mind not being able to just have your sidelights on alone. I don't as I will just put the HIDS on anyway

Rides
    LOL, thanks I didn't know that you know as I've only had it one day.

TBH I dont think I ever drive anywhere with just side lights on so I would do the same

I don't even have front fog lights (removed for FMIC) so I can't even do the really cool thing of driving with the just side lights and fog lights on clear day/night. lol

Rides
    LOL, thanks I didn't know that you know as I've only had it one day.

TBH I dont think I ever drive anywhere with just side lights on so I would do the same

I don't even have front fog lights (removed for FMIC) so I can't even do the really cool thing of driving with the just side lights and fog lights on clear day/night. lol

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    It's official Hids are no problem for the mot Well if they are set correctly that is