Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painted carbon fibre

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Option 2: Get whatever takes your fancy and spray it with a tinted lacquer same colour as the car. From a distance it looks painted, up close you can see the carbon weave through the paint.
    ade mentioned this on wednesday, tempted to get this done to the teg instead of complete spray -know any examples or places where they get it done

Rides
    Unfortuantely no You need somewhere that's done it a fair bit i guess - it's the sort of thing that if done wrong can look patchy and sh!te The place i suspect Ade mentioned I personally wouldn't use after seeing how they fared on someone else's car with just normal paintwork.

Rides
    Martins...

They just masked it off and sprayed!

Did anyone see the evo at Japfest with the speckled spray over the bonnet?? Looked sweet!

Rides
    painted carbon is a good look if you do it lightly like the F40. if you look close you can see the carbon through the paint. ive hurd of that tinted lacquer trick. same as tinting lights.

if your going to paint a new carbon item wouldnt it make sence to get it in FRP as it weighs the same but costs less.

Rides
    A proper carbon panel should weight less than FRP. A Carbon panel made for show however could be the same weight as FRP I suppose.

Show-offs have a lot to answer for. Carbon is good stuff, if used right can save loads of weight. Now it's become 'cool' the idea of making it to tight tolerances to save maximum weight is out the window.

Carbon is used because it's very strong, so you need less for the same stength, thus making it light. A carbon part should be a chunk lighter than a FRP one.

Rides
    Yeah, carbon for carbon's sake really isn't cool

But I cant help myself

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo-tastic View Post
    Yeah, carbon for carbon's sake really isn't cool

But I cant help myself
    This from the man who was trying to persuade me that what i needed to hold the stereo surround on in my 80's cheese wedge were carbon washers, and IIRC was concocting some sort of plan involving carbon garage doors?
    Last edited by Si; 14-09-2008 at 06:54.

Rides
    Yeah, the garage doors plan was put on hold when work found another use for the material I wanted to use But that wasn't the traditional weave, so it would've been just plain black Which is ok

The carbon toilet seat & lid I'm currently working on though, well thats just pointless really

Rides
    just bought the carbon front grill from SRB for my 14a , although it is very nice it's not very glossy , i konw it's and epoxy clear coat that give the carbon it shine. But would i beable to spray a clear coat over it to hep it out (the matt look is not that cool)

many thanks ROB

Rides
    There isnt a problem painting carbon fibre, in my view its alot easyer to paint carbon than it is fibre glass. It cant be that bad as all the f1 teams do it!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by base-1 View Post
    Painted carbon is cool, bare carbon is
    exactly my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Option 2: Get whatever takes your fancy and spray it with a tinted lacquer same colour as the car. From a distance it looks painted, up close you can see the carbon weave through the paint.
    I was going to post that my self

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
    painted carbon is a good look if you do it lightly like the F40. if you look close you can see the carbon through the paint. ive hurd of that tinted lacquer trick. same as tinting lights.
    ok, thats ripping the piss, that is exactly what i was going to say, almost word for word

Painted carbon is very very cool, i would love to beable to afford carbon bonnet, front wings, doors, boot lid and every thing else then i would paint it all standard damson but like the f40 so you can see the weave through the paint

but then i also want to strip the car out and strip all sound deading off and fit a roll cage and light weight seats, but i know if i start i'll develop car anorexia which isn't good for my bank balance cause carbon is very light and very expensive, although at lease my wallet will weigh less