Thread: Decent 17cm/6.5 inch components

Rides

Decent 17cm/6.5 inch components

As above basically. At the moment i have a Alpine head unit (cant remember wich model), four 6.5inch JBL speakers (not sure wich ones, as they was in the car when i bought it) and i also have a Vibe CBR10 active sub in the post as we speak on my way.

I have read a few posts and it seems the thing to do is ditch the rear speakers and just get some decent components up front. So whats good at the moment for no more than £100 ideally? My brother has Alpine type R 6.5 components and they are really good but what else is there?

Thanks,
    Ben

Rides
    I would go for something like these - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rain...d44a649344653c

They are a little more but have had very good reviews and they are Rainbow's.

Rides
    Never heard of Rainbows, but then again a aint up to scratch with audio. It is 6.5 inch in the front of an 14a isnt it?

Rides
    Bump for a little more opinions.

Rides
    Depends what sound you like really.
    FOr £100 if you like "bright and detailed" speakers Rainbows and Focals are good.
    If you prefer your music a bit warmer and more laid back then DLS, CDT, or genesis are good speakers for the money.

If it were me I'd be tossing up between These Hertz's at £75, the Basic DLS's at £95 or whether is was worth the extra £20 for me to got for the next level of DLS's .

I like my music fairly laid back and nautral but with plenty of detail, and the DLS components I had before worked great in the SX (although they were amplified). If you're going to amplify get the priceier DLS's above and a guarantee you won't regret it. If you're stopping at upgraded components then try the Hertz's and save yourself a few bob.

edit to say: 16.5cm or 6.5" components are a direct bolt in! You'll just have to work out where to fit the crossovers and use some hot glue to put the tweeters onto the A-Pillars in the standard place. Worked fine for me!
    Last edited by WeirdNeville; 02-09-2008 at 12:45.

Rides
    I have the B6's, I love them long time they REALLY need to be amped though, it properly brings them to life.
    As said, they are a much mellower sound than the likes of the similarly priced Alpine, Focals and Infinity's (which I hate with a passion)
    Especially with an Alpine head unit, which tend to be very bright and upfront at the best of times.

Rides
    I dont want a harsh sound so that puts the rainbows and alpines out of the window. I want a natural soft but clear sound if this makes sense so at the moment its looking like the DLS R6A. Amping them is likley in the near future but was just wondering how much of a pain it is to wire up the fronts to an amp?

Thanks,
    Ben

Rides
    It's not a hard job, just time consuming to put an amp in. You have to put in a power lead from the battery and then find somewhere suitable to put the amp in. All depends on your choice of amp really as to how big it will be and how much power it needs.

Tbh I'd be tempted to do the whole lot in one job. You're only going to have to do a load of work twice (cable runs to the speakers etc) if you do speakers and then amp.

Rides
    Right guys thanks for your input it is very much appreciated I think i have decided to go with the DLS R6A and i think whilst i am at it i will amp them because it seems to make a big differance to the sound from what i have been told. Now the next question........Whats an ideal amp to power these components without spending an arm and a leg?

Thanks,
    Ben

Rides
    Can
    Worms.

heh heh heh.

First question.
    Are you stopping here or riding the bus all the way down town?

If you are only going to amp the front components then get a good quality 2 channel amp. I would recommend a genesis "Series 3" Stereo 60 or 100 which regularly go on ebay for about £100 second hand. YOU WILL NOT GET a better amp for the money! They will do your head unit and speakers proud. You'll be amazed.

If you also want to run an amp then try and get a 4 channel amp with decent power output. By that I mean around 80-100 watts a channel, True output. Ignore anything that boasts mosfet. I would again recommend a Genesis Profile 4. They're small amps but they represent great value for money. The reason I say 4 channel is that you only need 1 run of power to the amp and the rest of your wiring and set up is simplified. You bridge two of the channels into the sub for double the power, and use one channel a side for the front components.

I'd like to add that I have nothing to do with Genesis at all. I've never owned their products, but if I was to start again I would defo be looking at their amps. I have a DLS ultimate amp which is the eqivalent of top of the line Genesis stuff. THe reason I'm suggesting them is because they gave me my car audio epiphany though a mates stereo system, and I've always thought that the Stereo 60 and 100's are a total bargain second hand. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Have a look at talkaudio.co.uk, they really know their stuff and will be able to recommend loads of kit. If you stick around for a bit their for sale forum opens up for you too, with loads of bargains to be had.

Happy hunting!

Rides
    I've Got JL Audio XR Components in the Front with JL Audio VR Coaxial in the Rear - 16.5cm all round - beautiful sound powered by JL Audio 4 channel amp