Thread: Black plastic rejuvenation

Rides

Black plastic rejuvenation

OK, so it's not an SX, but we all have early 90's japanese cars, so they are all as bad as each otehr...
    What's the best stuff to use to bring hard black plastics, and dashboard vinyl back to live? I'm after something to give it a nice 'glow' and even finish all over
    Pledge works pretty well but the finish can be a tad uneven. If it's a product i can usee under the bonnet then even better, as i need to have a bash at that too at some point!

Cheers guys

Rides
    I like the Autoglym plastic and rubber care myself, its a milky kind of compound so doesn't leave a greasy finish like back to black etc. You can also make plastics appear dull with it or shiney depending on the surface and wether you leave it on or buff it off

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterAdam View Post
    I like the Autoglym plastic and rubber care myself, its a milky kind of compound so doesn't leave a greasy finish like back to black etc. You can also make plastics appear dull with it or shiney depending on the surface and wether you leave it on or buff it off
    another vote for the autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner, smells alright too.

Rides
    Awesome, i'll get myself down Halfords
    Cheers guys

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey3legs View Post
    another vote for the autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner, smells alright too.
    Another vote here!
    I use it on all the black on the inside and outside of the car. Cant complain about it!

I 'accidently' put it on my steering wheel...makes it a tad slippery!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBB View Post
    Another vote here!
    I use it on all the black on the inside and outside of the car. Cant complain about it!

I 'accidently' put it on my steering wheel...makes it a tad slippery!
    Can't be much worse than when my other half polished her wooden Nardi wheel

Rides
    i use poorboys trim restorer.

its magical.

Rides
    How long do these products last? How many washes?

Washing the black plastic parts in hot soapy water and spraying them in black satin works wonderfully. Made my clio look fantastic before I sold it

Matthew

Rides
    Those white ones don't actually re-black the plastic/rubber. (the clue is that they are white).

Turtle Wax do one which is a thick gloopy black, and will actually restore the colour. You can then go over it with some trim care product (the white stuff) to get a matt or gloss finish to protect the plastic. I tend to use the TW stuff first, then some tyre gel afterwards (same white stuff, but in a bigger bottle and less £/litre)

Hope that helps,

Griff

EDIT : That's just for exterior! For interior, use the same black stuff, but I wouldn't use the white stuff as it can be tacky and builds up a protective layer which might not be desirable in the cabin. Halfords do an own brand interior polish/gel which leaves a nice matt finish

Rides
    for hard black exterior plastics like old bumpers you can use a hot air gun (hair dryer isnt powerful enough)!! heat the trim and the black will re-appear and last longer than topical aplications....

not sure how well this would work for the interior, as the plastic may be a little thinner, but get some old dash and maby have a go

Rides
    I've tried the sghoe polish type turtlewax stuff before and didn't get on with it - it was too patchy and messy, finish wasn't that impressive. it was too shiney as well.

Haven't had a chance to buy anything else yet either, as surprisingly, the car's broken and needs money spending on it, who'd have thunk it, eh?