Thread: can i export my car to usa??

Rides

can i export my car to usa??

hi, i might be moving to the u.s early next year and want to know if i can get my silvia shipped over there? as i will still be drifting it over here till then plus gettin a 2 way diff, cage and a engine refrash i dont really wanna have to leave it behind or sell it!

i did hear (poss ballshit?) that the car has to be returned to 110% standard????

i dont wanna drift lhd

Rides
    if that was the case then just keep it as a purely track car and trailer it to events then you dont have to worry about changing things.

Rides
    I work for a shipping company and of course you can send your car over there, we send Aston Martin's over there all the time. I've never heard anything about cars having to be standard or anything like that though.

Rides
    It's your property, you can send it in whatever state you like. Whether or not the local authority/DMV (or whoever) will allow it to be registered is something I'd have no idea about, though, sorry. But, considering you can mod a car in pretty much the same way over there as you can over here, I can't see it being a massive issue.

Rides
    Cars are a special case, my brief research which may or may not be correct:

When I looked into taking my car to canada it had to be over a certain age or be a model that was sold in the US/canada.

A car intended for racing had to be a race car from the factory.

A "wreck" isn't classed as a car.

Think cars in america need to have an OBD socket for the emissions/smog test.

Rides
    YES you can export your car
    registration will be the problem

if you are going to ship any car with CA18DET or SR20DET to California you will not be able to register it. (not without a lot of money, x0000 usd in order to make it CARB legal)

http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/
    http://www.bar.ca.gov/

if you find something about this I'll be interested to, my S13 is still in Europe, and I'm still searching to find if it is any way i could drive it on the US roads.

there is something like if you have an apartment bought or rented or you work in California, you have to register your car in this state, other wise you can drive the car registered somewhere else. You are allowed to drive it for 2 weeks with euro registration plates in this time frame you have to register it.

i was thinking to sell the car to my father, ship it here, and drive it with European registration numbers car being on my father name, or register it in Mexic on someone name... but i do not know if this will work, I'll have to put more research into this matter. i do not know if any insurance company from Europe will insure my car for USA, so i can have all European legal papers.

laws in other states may be different, Cali seams very strict about "pollution"

please post what you find about this.

LE: it is possible that Canada has some agreement with Europe so any car registered in some European countries can be registered also in Canada, but I'm not sure about that
    Last edited by ByReaL; 20-08-2008 at 23:30.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post

A car intended for racing had to be a race car from the factory.
    Must be a way around that or the japs wouldnt be able to take their drift cars across for some of the various competitions.

the other option is just ship your engine and diff etc across on a palet. Parts a so cheap that you could build a monster car for the money you make selling your current one here.

Rides
    It depends on where you ship it to/move to. Socal has very strict smog laws and anything except an original and standard engine in a car will not be allowed to be registered. Other states are more forgiving but I think the general consensus would be to build up another one out there.

Rides
    What you won't have a problem with will be buying a car over there, and converting it to RHD Alternatively... importing a Jap car

As long as it isn't a 'whole' car you can ship it over in event of problems, so you may need to partially ship it to get around legalities/red tape.

Bear in mind it may be cheaper to buy and build a car, rather than ship.

Matthew

Rides
    You cannot legally import, or drive, a non-US S-Chassis car. There is no method of legalization since the engines are not EPA tested.

LHD is not that big of a deal. The controls are exactly the same, and the car feels exactly the same, the viewpoint is the only thing different.

Strip your car, mark it as parts, and send it over. You'll have to rebuild it on this end.

Rides
    Pretty much what I expected as I remember reading about a classic mini that they had to do this to, just to get it over there.

Matthew

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ByReaL View Post
    laws in other states may be different, Cali seams very strict about "pollution"
    You can get US plates on a JDM car in Arizona. I have seen it done with a Skyline.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkz View Post
    Must be a way around that or the japs wouldnt be able to take their drift cars across for some of the various competitions.

the other option is just ship your engine and diff etc across on a palet. Parts a so cheap that you could build a monster car for the money you make selling your current one here.
    You can import a car temporarily but it has to be gone from the country after a period of time. Chatted to american's a couple of times at ferry terminals driving their Vettes around Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo_Freak View Post
    You cannot legally import, or drive, a non-US S-Chassis car. There is no method of legalization since the engines are not EPA tested.
    There are a few R34s and S15s in the states aren't there? Didn't the law change about 8 years ago?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    You can import a car temporarily but it has to be gone from the country after a period of time. Chatted to american's a couple of times at ferry terminals driving their Vettes around Europe.

There are a few R34s and S15s in the states aren't there? Didn't the law change about 8 years ago?
    A friend of mine just sold his BCNR33 and got an S15 in Georgia, so I would think so.

Banned
    Rides
    converting a lhd drive s shassis to rhd would be a pain as the bulkhead is different on each model.yank cars dont tend to have rust from what i have seen.id be tempted to just get one out there and not spend any more on the one you have at the moment,i guess your suposed to be saving money to go over there aswell?
    as people have said i think you will come unstuck on all the anti smog rules.