Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had my bumper sprayed and aren't happy with it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    £120 is very cheap though. I would expect to pay around £300 for a bumper at our local body shop.
    Yer but to be fair they must be the only place on the island

£300 is a lot IMO

£150-200 is the norm for a standard plastic bumper in a normal colour GRP cost more as they require a lot more prepping (£250 upwards)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Did he come outside to your car with a colour chart and match the colour before he started?
    Yeah he looked under the bonnet and found the paint code. He then found the paint sample in his little colour chart and held it up to the car. It did look the same tbh. I remember him saying that the colour chart doesn't always match the car because the sample in the chart is an ink rather than a paint which makes sense i suppose.

Rides
    Fuel flap is always the way to go for a bodyshop IMO

Rides
    What may have happened is that they have a few tins full of a similar green that they wanted to get rid of, rather than buy in some paint from Nissan

Rides
    God knows. I just can't be arsed with a big confrontation when I go back there. Just want it sorting out.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothound View Post
    What may have happened is that they have a few tins full of a similar green that they wanted to get rid of, rather than buy in some paint from Nissan
    The paints are mixed.

Rides
    i had the front bumper done a while ago, same colour (emerald green) cost me £230 including getting some scrapes repaired after someone hit it and buggered off

the guy told me there was only 1 shade, i trusted him and it is spot on

a mate did my rear one for me, again said only the 1 shade and thats perfect too - i'm getting my new drivers front wing done this week, so fingers crossed it comes out ok!!

yours does look quite a way off - i'd go back i think

Rides
    did you get this sorted?? as that is a dreadful match!! and I would have it redone.
    on the truck I had a hole filled above the windscreen and the whole roof resprayed for £150 - under the proviso that the roof was 'just a rough job' the match is spot-on.. I even had a colour chart stating the undercoat and proportions of each colour used

Rides
    It's going back in for it re-doing next week. I went to see the bloke who did it he said I could have taken it anywhere and they would have got the same result as there's only one paint code to use.

I explained that that may well have been the case but other sprayers might have asked me to leave my car at the same time so they could actually make sure the paint matched the rest of the car.

I remember at the time thinking that I'd have to leave my car with them so they could match it. And when he said I could just leave the bumper it made me a little nervous.

Anyway, I'll update once I've got it back.

Rides
    I've had a bootlid, rear arches and some rear spats sprayed, there is only one shade of emerald green.

My car is now 12 years old and the bits I have had painted look factory fresh

Rides
    Got it back yesterday and am happy to say it now matches! They reckoned it was a really awkward job as they had to keep tinting the OEM colour with other colours to get the right match.

I can't believe it was so difficult I mean that's what they do day-in day-out? Probably be going elsewhere for the front bumper doing.

Rides
    thats prety harsh mate

tbh i am a painter and myself and many others dont have the full on mixing tints etc to do it

usually we will take the fuel cap and paint code and take it to the paint shop and get it mixed ......lots of time the colour on the chip is no were near the cars correct colour

there are lots of factors ,,

gun distance ... gun pressure...angle.. temp..primer,,, loads

but you were very right to take it back and get it re done