Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Pimp My Soarer

Rides

Project Pimp My Soarer

About time I started one of these things, this may be a bit of a slow burner but I wanted to document the ongoing pimping of my lovely Soarer. I don't want to go mad on it, and to be honest I dont think I need to, less is more in the case of luxury style, but i'll just keep this thread updated and I am more than open to styling suggestions but please dont fill the thread with pictures of other tasty soarers, nice as they are, this thread is for my car.

Ok, here she is, sitting on my drive at the mo, totally bone stock.

As soon as I can afford it I will be putting the largest, widest wheels I can get my hands on under the arches, but until then, I will have to make do with some more, er, budget styling mods.

Thought I would put my signfitting skills to good use and make a small blanking panel to block up the 1 1/2 DIN hole in my dash. One bit of scrap foam board and some carbon fibre effect print later:

I thought it looked so good, I decided to cover up the nasty wood trim as well, along with a few more plastic panels:

It actually looks more subtle than the wood did, really blends in with the rest of the interior. I'm well pleased, and best of all, it was all free!

Rides
    Very Nice good work mate

Rides
    Much better than the wood mate, nice one!

Quick question, what does the random red JDM button do next to the gear selector do?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GT4 Baz View Post
    Much better than the wood mate, nice one!

Quick question, what does the random red JDM button do next to the gear selector do?
    It fires the ejector seat to get rid of all those nasty old crack whores he will be pimping out obviously

Looks much better with the crappy wood trim covered up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GT4 Baz View Post
    Disables the interlock on the auto box, so you can take it out of park with the engine not running (while also firing crack whores from the ejector seat..)

Rides
    nice work Dan

Oh damn i miss my Soarer

Rides
    Look miles better than the fake wood but I would have put the "weave" at an angle,it looks a bit weird all horizontal imho

Rides
    Glad everyone seems to like it, apologies about the frankly rubbish photography though.

I have rewired my red button so it does actually eject ho's from the back seats, being able to pull it out of park when not running is much less fun.

I have some more plans regarding fake carbon, it may look absolute bollards or it could be an inspired bit of cheap modification, but I will be sure to show the results either way, even if it is just to let people point and laugh before I remove it again.

Rides
    i think i see a crease in the film dan

Rides
    Bugger off Mark.

Long time no speak, everything ok with you? Pm me or something.

Rides
    looking good dan, bit off topic but how old are you ? im only asking cos i just wondered whats the insurance like on one of them, what engine is yours aswell ? and whats it like on juice ?

ive been looking at them and chaser's recentley

Rides
    I'm 26, 2 yrs NCB and its a shade under £700 which sits alright with my wallet. I'm hoping for big price drops as my NCB grows.

As far as juice goes, it is only the 3rd most thirsty car I have owned* which doesn't sound so bad.

*1st and 2nd go to a single turbo rx7 and a modified twin turbo rx7. Don't do it kids.

20mpg I reckon, although it is rich at the mo.

Rides
    Right, got started on my experimental effort at making some more cheap styling parts last night, i'm quite pleased so far.

Basically, I have always really liked the Feed style side skirts that are just a step of carbon fibre sticking out perpendicular to the side of the car, I think it gives a really subtle bit of extra depth to the sides of the car.
    The major problem with liking Feed products is that their price tags are usually ludicrously high, so I thought I would have a go at knocking up something Feed-inspired myself, using a different technique to normal bodywork mods. (i'm not one for following the trend)

Take one piece of 10mm foamex (signmaking substrate)

Bear with me, it gets better.
    Cut some shapes to fit around the gubbins under the sill:

Stick it on temporarily with some VHB tape:

It sits at a nice angle, I thought I would have to bugger about making it protrude level but it seems fine as it is.

Mark a more pleasing shape out:

At this point I tried to get my 'temporary' fix off the car and had to pretty much hang on it to get it off! So I might attach the finished item with VHB tape and not bother drilling and tapping the sills, which is bound to avoid nasty rust problems at some point in the future.

Bit of rough chopping:

Quite pleased so far.
    The light faded quick last night so I had to stop there, next I will shape the edge with file and sandpaper into a nice rounded edge, then thep lan is to wrap the skirt in carbon fibre print as I did with my dash, and that should be it, job done! I'd hope to match it with a similar protrusion under the front splitter, and I may have to spunk out actual money on rear canard thingies to carry the look to the back.

So, what do people think?

Rides
    spotted a lexus vip car the other day and they look amazing, alot of road presence but not shouting out at you saying "look at me!"
    :P

have a sexy pic

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RTLKyuubi View Post
    have a sexy pic
    Uber pimp

Dunc.

Rides
    It is a sexy pic but people, please dont fill the thread with pimp pics of other cars! There is another much more suitable thread going on right now for those sort of pics:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=365766

No comments on the zero budget skirts then?

Rides
    Will reserve judgement on the 'shelves' untill finished...

Rides
    'shelves' like it. dont think i'll be able to keep framed photos of the family on them though...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTaylor200 View Post
    Will reserve judgement on the 'shelves' untill finished...

indeed ... right now I dont get why you want a bit of bright white plastic that sticks sideways out of a totally standard car

I also need to see the finished product, because I cant picture what its going to look like finished .... Have you a picture of what you are trying to achieve ? .. ie the real product ?

edit: I know you are planing on carbon fibring them ... but I just cant picture it with out a little more help, hence the request for a picture of what you are hoping to achieve
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-08-2008 at 11:44.

Rides
    Good work there. Especially on the carbon console. Re the skirts, I think the thing is, it's hard to appreciate other styling mods when you're still running standard rims. If that makes any sense? As it stands, without wanting to sound mega harsh, you're probably the only one who thinks they look good because you've put all the work into them.

They show promise though and I'm sure they'll look 10 x better when finished.
    Last edited by Mr G; 12-08-2008 at 11:46.