Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Wasaabi aka Eleanor May

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

Ta DAAA!!!

OK, I've pretty much jigged up the front now. I need to take out the upper jig and give it an assement for how stiff it is, but i'm confident. If it's ok, then it'll go to one side until I drag out the lower arrangement.

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 16-08-2008 at 15:51.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    And it's out (with a bit of a tug). Didn't have to drop the strut either. I guess I did the right thing using a 10.5mm drill bit instead of a 10mm. Little bit of play

Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    nice use of triangulation lol. to the extream ha ha.

im starting to get the idea you have now. so basically you will have the positions of all the suspension mounting points in the same place as where the car origionally intended.

so whats the plan from then?? do you have a roll cage that you can triangulate to these suspension points or are you going to make something completely different??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    nice use of triangulation lol. to the extream ha ha.
    I really don't want the thing to move Most things I can handle being not quite where they were intended to be, and it's not unusual for a chassis to warp by 10mm over it's length due to welding, but the suspension points HAVE to be bang on.

so basically you will have the positions of all the suspension mounting points in the same place as where the car origionally intended
    Correct

so whats the plan from then?? do you have a roll cage that you can triangulate to these suspension points or are you going to make something completely different??
    Something completely different really. All the S14 geometry, shocks, brakes, hubs etc etc, but with a transvers engine in the back. Three seats, with the driver centrally positioned and further forward, with A=Pilliars where the turrets are.

Yes, I'll be "recycling" parts of my roll cage, but it's more than a roll cage with bits bolted on.

It won't look like an S14. In fact I'm not really sure what it's going to look like. I'm in the 2nd round of design on paper, and there will be a third once all the major components are laid out and jigged.
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 16-08-2008 at 16:48.

Rides
    wow. when are you looking to have something that resembles a car again, even if its not shelled or engined??

Rides
    so your building an meclaren f1 sx

Rides
    wow. when are you looking to have something that resembles a car again, even if its not shelled or engined??
    I have a week off in September - that's my target: to have something that can be rolled in and out of the garage by the end of that week

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    so your building an meclaren f1 sx
    In a way - yes

Rides
    very very very cool stuff i want to do something like this one day once im married have a house sorted and so on........ will it every happen..... i got myself a copy of build yourself a sports car for £250

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by damo_s13 View Post
    very very very cool stuff i want to do something like this one day once im married have a house sorted and so on........ will it every happen..... i got myself a copy of build yourself a sports car for £250
    Dude - trust me - do it before you're married....

Fortunately my wife loves the fact that I'm completely barking...

Rides
    yeah i have a small problem with that im getting married in 14months have a house to buy and a timeattack car to get reliable

Rides
    yeah i have a small problem with that im getting married in 14months have a house to buy and a timeattack car to get reliable
    Ahhhh... Busy man then!

very very very cool stuff
    Well, I dunno about that. I want to be clear here - I haven't got a clue what I'm doing... Well, not quite true, but it may be a sack of spanners to drive!

i got myself a copy of build yourself a sports car for £250
    Good luck doing it for £250

Rides
    Got the rest of the jig / low crossmembers out

Pant's camera was on crap setting!!

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 17-08-2008 at 11:46.

Rides
    Try again with the pics....

Cross member at brackets out in one

Tiny wheels!

Well, the Omega has been called a shed before. And now, thanks to lack of space, IT IS!

Rides
    Jig reassembled! And initial measurements suggests all is still square. Nice!

Rides

Steel Ordered!

Just placed my order for my steel: 48 metres of 25mm x 25mm x 1.5mm ERW square tube.

£100 delivered!

Better clear some space - it arrives tomorrow!!!!

Rides
    looking good so far will be good to see how she develops. You must have some sketches you've made to give us an idea of your final shape and maybe some of your tubing designs or are you not willing to share them just yet.

Rides
    There are some pics kicking around, but these were done on the premise that I was going to use the original S14 drive train, which I'm now not. Time and other factors have dictatied that I get the s14 shell off the drive, and get the jigged parts out.

The "design" is a rough "yes it will all fit", but needs to be re-done on paper before welding starts. I opted to get the jigs in place to allow more acurate measureing of the key components relative to each otehr, before "filing in the gaps" as it were.

What's it going to look like? Your guess is as good as mine. It's not quite as "build it on the fly" as it might sound, but it's very much an interative process, refining the designs that are further down the line of realisation, as problems are addressed, designs are changed and facts are confirmed earlier on.

With the A-pillars being where the turrets are (for stiffness and allowing the drive to be relatively far forward to account for the mid engine and two passengers), and the need to use a fairly standard windscreen from something readily available, it will (as far as current plans go!) likely look like a Gillardo / Esprit kind of shape, with a shortish "snout")

Rides
    you can recoup some of the project costs once finished by selling the jigs to the Tate Modern as a modern steel sculpture. call it summat like 'Steel tree rising' and some chinless-wonder from the city will pay £20k for it

Big respect mate ya doing a grand job

Rides
    LOL! Thanks! It's like a big pylon!

The next step is to make up some pieces a bit like toblerone. These will bolt onto the jig where the turrents were, and will off set the turrets by 100mm (the greatest distance I can wind my front shocks in by, from their current state) along the line of the shock

Remember all that faffing about with clever spreadsheets to understand the effect of keeping the front suspension as is, but shortenning the strut by dropping the top mount - well that's it - actually happening now!!!