Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Wasaabi aka Eleanor May

Rides
    Bloody awesome project mate,

Can't wait to see it (you gonna have a reversing camera in this one too? )

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    one thing i would advise after many years working with metal get a good mig set
    Bought an SIP 105, which came out very well in a number of reviews specifically looking at MIG welders for automotive work. It's still very much a home piece of kit, rather than industrial, but my welding has improved over night! Having used a little stick welder for ages, MIG with argoshield is like a dream come true

I'm getting loads of practice in with it all the same, welding up dummy parts and jigs
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ***** View Post
    Bloody awesome project mate,

Can't wait to see it (you gonna have a reversing camera in this one too? )
    yup - i may even stretch to buying the screens too!
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    as in all welding its penetration that counts

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    as in all welding its penetration that counts
    I will be doing quite a few practice runs on the 1x1 i intend to use, and then cut them open to look at the penetration

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    I will be doing quite a few practice runs on the 1x1 i intend to use, and then cut them open to look at the penetration
    you must keep this thread updated

Rides
    OK, a bit more progress. I've jigged a cross member on the platform, but I also need to get the relative points of the tension arm pickups and the tops of the turrets.

So, on the car in the drive, I've welded braces across the tension arm brackets and the cross member, such that they will come out as one piece. That can then be put onto the jig on the platform, and the the other key points can be jigged.

But what about the turrets? Well, I have jigged those in the car, and will tack some brackets to them which are bolted down to the aforementioned front crossmember and brackets. The turret jigs can then be bolted onto the rest of it on the platform, and then fixed in place, before cutting away the brakcets fastening them to the cross member.

I think that makes sense...

Had a bit of a mare welding outside. As sods law would have it, the wind picked up everytime I was welding, so I ditched the mig and went for the stick - hence the slightly blobby turret jig!

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 14-11-2008 at 22:53.

Rides
    You sir, are mental

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    You sir, are mental
    I've been called worse things...

Rides
    Very excited - I picked up the 3mm sheet I had folded for the suspension pick ups today! The fact that the Omega fuel tank emptied it's guts out on the way and I had to come back on an AA wagon seems immaterial now!

A bit frustrated though, as when some chaps were loading the old S14 engine, I had to move the platform with the jigs on out of the garage, and the neighbour ran over it
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 15-08-2008 at 10:06.

Rides
    Great to see projects like this

Rides
    fook me thats some extream work going on there,

after the whole thing is done what are you acctually trying to acheave, a tubular chassis with a fibreglass bodyshell.

i take it all the jigging etc is so that you can have all the suspsension and subframe positions set and then join them together without the origional shell in place????

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    i take it all the jigging etc is so that you can have all the suspsension and subframe positions set and then join them together without the origional shell in place????
    Correct. I can jig the rear from a subframe. The front is a little more complex, as I have to get the crossmember, tension arm and turret points correct, and they are four seperate parts! So the jib for the front is being built in situ, so that when I take it all out, I can bolt it all back together.

Then from THAT I need to jig the points on the platform.

The front and rear I can align relatively using this... http://jesus-ninja.dyndns.org/Public...0Schematic.pdf

I'll also use the schematic to get double check all the diagonal dimensions.

Rides
    shit me there are a lot of dimensions to take into account. very handy schematic that one,

looks like you have really done your homework, good luck on this one and i really hope it all works how you want it to

Rides
    Bloomin' awesome,

Looks like it's really coming together

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ***** View Post
    Bloomin' awesome,

Looks like it's really coming together
    Well, it is and it isn't. I'm STILL jigging up the inside of the S14 engine bay.

Every now and again I have this really sick feeling in my gut and a voice saying "why didn't you just tune your S14 like everyone else. What if you build it and it's crap....?"

But then I go back and measure things again, and i feel better

I've taken a week off in September to try to get to the point that I have a rolling chassis.

Rides
    Hiya nick...
    looks like youre on your way to a monster!!
    If theres anything i can help with, just shout..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Hiya nick...
    looks like youre on your way to a monster!!
    If theres anything i can help with, just shout..
    If you have a fat wedge of cash lying around that you don't need......

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    I've taken a week off in September to try to get to the point that I have a rolling chassis.
    good luck, september really is not that far away now. very interested to see what you get rolling

Rides
    I couldn't sleep last night for things going round in my head, and I decided that my approach to jogging the turrets was over engineered and too prone to error.

I had been making it in pieces to allow removal and reassembly, but then realised that the two turret parts do not need to be independent, as I can just dro pthe struts down to allow the turret jigs to be taken off in one (the studs angle inward, so it would be impossible with them poking through). That means that the whole turret job can be made a single piece which bolts to the crossmember/arb assembley in three places.

Much simpler/easier/acurate, although it means I've wasted some time/steel. Still, rather get it right. And the welding practice is always good.

The aim is to have got everything off the shell before september
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 16-08-2008 at 15:52.