Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Wasaabi aka Eleanor May

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Right - loads of pictures, but I can't be arsed to write about each one, but will answer any questions!

Briefly though, the highlights are getting the suspension brackets welded on, front and rear, and lifting the chassis off the board and getting it into the sushine, and then turning it over to eld the rest of it. The lowlights are realising that the steering rack needs to be located in a place where there is an intersection - good for strength, but not for accessing the bolts...

Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    And some more....

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 21-09-2008 at 20:20.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    And the last lot for the day

Rides
    Very good work

Maybe its just the angle of the pics but to me it looks like your going to have front wheel clearance issuse with the two most outer sections on each front arch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    Very good work

Maybe its just the angle of the pics but to me it looks like your going to have front wheel clearance issuse with the two most outer sections on each front arch
    well, I've yet to try and fit any front wheels yet, and I am prepared for the case where it needs to be reworked, but having measured up against the shell, I'm confident it'll be ok. the rearward ones are more of a worry, as the wheel potentially needs to pass under it. the front one runs from the outside of the top mount down to where the s14 chassis rail would be, so there's less concern there.

Time will tell though!
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 21-09-2008 at 16:21.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    It's really comming together mate Looks great
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    It's really comming together mate Looks great
    Thanks Chris

Polo's comments kinda made me thought, and then you know it would have eaten away at me....

...so I got home from church "just got to go into the garage for 20 minute, babe...." didn't stop to wait for an answer

Am I as happy as a pig in his own excrement right now...? What do you think?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Fair play, you know it makes sense, that would have of been bugging you all night else You need to make this a rolling chassi asap
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Fair play, you know it makes sense, that would have of been bugging you all night else You need to make this a rolling chassi asap
    Too right! Just got to finish the full welding of the bottom bits, and sort out the "issue" with the rack. Reckon I'm gonna tube it (you can see where I'm offering up some 2" tube (off cut from the roll hoop) and then the cutter). I'll then make some cunning pieces of 20mm square tupe that have a curve cut in one side, and put one on each side of the 2" tube.

Rides
    Just found out that the missus will be out tonight. Time to get some wheels on this!!!

Rides
    good luck mate as said you are mad but we all love you for it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by weiner_patrol View Post
    good luck mate as said you are mad but we all love you for it
    Your car in your sig appears to have a halo

Not so sure about your avatar though...

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 28-09-2008 at 21:22.

Rides
    lol that was a quick 5-10 minute paint job i did on a base car. If you mean the strip on the top of the picture I need it for reference later on when i go back to it which is why i kept it there (I am lazy).

Should I just change my sig to something like "Yours appears to be too small" or something along that line...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by weiner_patrol View Post
    lol that was a quick 5-10 minute paint job i did on a base car. If you mean the strip on the top of the picture I need it for reference later on when i go back to it which is why i kept it there (I am lazy).

Should I just change my sig to something like "Yours appears to be too small" or something along that line...
    LOL
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 28-09-2008 at 21:22.

Rides

Something like that?

Rides
    Right! Too many eastern people setting their goolies on fire for my liking...

Enough!

Did more welding tonight - if I'm honest, it's getting a bit boring there's so much! Just when you think your on top of it, you look at it from another angle and unveil more

Still, not too much more now. Should finish it tomorrow evening. Then I can get onto the serious issue of making my chassis a rolling chassis, the first step of which is to fit the steering rack mounting. I've made so much for that car, that I feel like I out to make this, but it's not the simplest thing in the world, and as I have one there already....

Once it's on four wheels, there's the challenge of the rear shocker / strut units. Unlike the front McPhersons, these don't form part of the geometry, and so the alignment of them is not as critical. My current thinking is to look at using a push rod and bell crank to allow them to be used horizontally - lowering their CofG and putting their weight further forward. It would also preserve what lines of the car are there are such, and will require less "extra" chassis to be put in.

Rides
    Awesome work again! Will be good to see it coming together.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Legendary work JN. Is that up there the finished article or are there still bits of jig attached that will be taken opff once its all bolted together??
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Legendary work JN. Is that up there the finished article or are there still bits of jig attached that will be taken opff once its all bolted together??
    Nope - all the jigs are off. Gonna try and get wheels on it tonight! Just got to sort the steering rack out. I've changed my mind about cutting holes in the frame for access to the bolts for the rack clamps.

Instead I'm going to weld a piece of angle onto each end of the rack mounting to present a horizontal flat piece to the chassis. This will mate up to another piece of angle wirrored in the chassis itself. The chassis pieces will have nuts welded underneath, allowing the rack mounting to be bolted through from above. The rack mount itself will have slots rather than holes.

This way I can tune the steering rack position: shims will elevate it, and the slots allow longitudinal movement / adjustment. Additionally, it fits with one of my over riding objectives that as little as possible (nothing?) should require access under the car. The more that can be done without jacks the better

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo1 View Post
    Awesome work again! Will be good to see it coming together.
    Thank you I really appreciate the encouragement, as it's not all "glory days", there's lots of boring and sometimes disappointing bits too