Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Wasaabi aka Eleanor May

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

Cool Project Wasaabi aka Eleanor May

EDIT: UPDATE!Check out my brief summary of the project, in pictures, here! http://jesus-ninja.dyndns.org/wasaabi/?f=summary

Well, I thought about adding to this one: http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread...hlight=bodging

But on reflection this bodgery deserves it's own thread!

Not really sure where to start, but as many of you may know I've been working on designing a spaceframe based on the S14. I've also made the "interesting" choice to go mid engined with a Saab 2.3 turbo lump transversely mounted in the rear with the Aero gearbox.

Nicely, the entire engine sits forward of the driveshafts, so great for weight distribution and getting it all in side the axles. What it does mean though is that the stock S14 subframe is out of the window. The good news is that the engine does fit inside the multi point suspension points, so I've been jigging things up. I'm getting close to the "stick the major components together and see what we need to go back to the drawing board with" stage (iterative development at it's best!!).

Achievements to date:
    Removing the Saab engine and entire wiring loom and steering column. I intend to use the column and entire electrics + dash from the Saab.
    Removing the engine from the S14 Sad day, yet one also full of excitement as I've bitten the bullet and have to crack on lest I spend too long without a nutter-mobile.
    Building the platform on which to build the chassis.

Pic to follow in next posts...
    Last edited by jesus-ninja; 29-08-2012 at 22:14.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Out comes the Saab engine and off goes the shell. Note the comedy ride height with no lump in the engine bay...

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 14-11-2008 at 23:40.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Nissan engine comes out too - sad day

Although I have plans for the lump! My Omega desperately needs a new engine

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 14-11-2008 at 23:44.

Rides
    And now the real fun begins. I've built (as per the Haynes "build your own car" book) a nice big flat platform to work on. I've even painted it white and gridded it up into 100mm squares to make life easier.

I now have both the rear subframe and the front cross member firmly attached in the right place. The S14 schematics I got from the states were very useful in getting the relative heights of everything correct.

You can see the jigs for the rear subframe.

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 14-11-2008 at 23:48.

Rides
    Good luck , always nice to see new things an mad folk at play

Rides
    edit...i understand now
    Last edited by japdrifter; 28-07-2008 at 00:13.

Rides
    would a bed stead type frame of 4"x2" steal box section not have been better for a build jig as it would aid in the build more as you could weld in suports as you went where you needed them [metal is my job]

Rides
    *subscribes*

Awesome stuff

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    would a bed stead type frame of 4"x2" steal box section not have been better for a build jig as it would aid in the build more as you could weld in suports as you went where you needed them [metal is my job]
    umm, not sure what you mean - do you mean for the big platforrm? Thing is, I have to move the thing! The subframe, due to it's shape, will not lift off the two jigs in one piece, so the jigs will be bolted to the platform, then the whole lot unbolted, the jigs removed from the subframe, and then the jigs rebolted to the platform, everything remeasured, and off we go
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 28-07-2008 at 09:21.

Rides
    I've just noticed where the "Saab and the trailer" pic is. Hmm so close to me

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChin View Post
    I've just noticed where the "Saab and the trailer" pic is. Hmm so close to me
    Pop round for a cuppa! I'm normally kicking around in the evenings and weekends.

Rides
    you build a rectangle frame [must be leavel]to the dimensions of the car your building then jig off that, its solid and will not flex or twist and its easy to tack on temp suports when you need them

Rides
    you build a rectangle frame [must be leavel]to the dimensions of the car your building then jig off that, its solid and will not flex or twist and its easy to tack on temp suports when you need them
    Yeah - you're probably right. But if it's good enough for thousands of chapman's coffin dodgems, then it's good enough for me The bed is built on three lengths of 2x4 by 6 lengths of 2x4 covered in 12mm ply. Basically, the ply is supported by 600mm squares of 2x4. Checked and levelled.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    Yeah - you're probably right. But if it's good enough for thousands of chapman's coffin dodgems, then it's good enough for me The bed is built on three lengths of 2x4 by 6 lengths of 2x4 covered in 12mm ply. Basically, the ply is supported by 600mm squares of 2x4. Checked and levelled.
    are you building one of those 1"x1" westfield wanna be's or a space frame race car

Rides
    are you building one of those 1"x1" westfield wanna be's or a space frame race car
    A bit of both, to be honest. A lot of 1x1, with some 3/4x3/4 for the secondaries, but incorprating a roll cage and so some 1 3/4 round tube. It's tin top (well, grp) and using the S14 suspension. Oh, and it's mid engined, with a centrally positioned driver.

A lot of priciples have been taken from the locost / westy design, of course, but then alot of it is differnt.

Rides
    Ooooh I can't wait to see this one being built!!

Dave

Rides
    This is going to be a very interesting thread

Rides
    A bit of both, to be honest. A lot of 1x1, with some 3/4x3/4 for the secondaries, but incorprating a roll cage and so some 1 3/4 round tube. It's tin top (well, grp) and using the S14 suspension. Oh, and it's mid engined, with a centrally positioned driver.

A lot of priciples have been taken from the locost / westy design, of course, but then alot of it is differnt.
    go on use 1" pipe for weight saving and a tube bender to remove quite a bit of welding, you just need a router tool to form the T joints

Rides
    go on use 1" pipe for weight saving and a tube bender to remove quite a bit of welding, you just need a router tool to form the T joints
    But I like welding in straight lines

Besides, I simply don't have the space for a pipe bender as well. Seriously though, as a first build it myself to my own design project, I think I'm best off keeping some of it pretty simple, and sqaure tube is such a doddle to work with, get sqaure, mount things to etc etc.

Next one....

Rides
    But I like welding in straight lines

Besides, I simply don't have the space for a pipe bender as well. Seriously though, as a first build it myself to my own design project, I think I'm best off keeping some of it pretty simple, and sqaure tube is such a doddle to work with, get sqaure, mount things to etc etc.

Next one....
    one thing i would advise after many years working with metal get a good mig set