Thread: Ultra lightweight genuine motorsport spec bootlids and bonnets

Rides

Ultra lightweight genuine motorsport spec bootlids and bonnets

I want a proper carbon bonnet and bootlid for my S14. Ive spoken to one of our UK suppliers so say they can sort them but theres £8-900 for each mould (one for bonnet, one for bootlid) and then £5-600 per piece. Prices plus vat.

You would get a full on proper light weight piece of kit though. They say 5-6 kilo for the bonnet. And thats a bloody strong bonnet, you can stand on them. Ive just weighed a Seibon carbon layed fibreglass backed bonnet and it comes in at over 11 kilo.

They wouldnt come with hinge mounts, youd use four pins instead.

Im not interested in making money, I just want proper gear on my car but need people to help me spread the costs of the moulds. Anyome interested?

Rides
    let me pay in installments and your on

Rides
    might aswell get the wings done while your at it.......

Rides
    Easier said than done, its extra money and I think fewer people will want wings than bonnet and boot. If we get interest in bonnet and boot then Ill look into wings as well.

Rides
    I would be interested in the bonnet but I would like to get a vented one. The weight is not really my problem but the heat is actually...

Rides
    I can look into vented but it would be vented ot be effective based on our own in house testing and it would be designed primarily round the needs of our car. We will be initially running a T78 so the vents will be designed to draw air in and over the turbo assembly and the vents will obviously be in a specific position for that.

We would also look at a horizontal vent sat above and behind the rad to draw air through and out of the rad assembly, this will be a good generic vent position for all S14as.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post

We would also look at a horizontal vent sat above and behind the rad to draw air through and out of the rad assembly, this will be a good generic vent position for all S14as.
    100% agree with that.

It might be also a good idea to look at a vent just above the intake in order to get fresh air !

A good idea would be to make a proposal of the vent you would like to have for your specific application and to see if people are interested in it

Do you have a rough idea of the price ? Would it be something sub 400£ ?

Rides
    £8-900 for each mould (one for bonnet, one for bootlid) and then £5-600 per piece. Prices plus vat.
    Theyre going to be a lot more than sub £400!

Rides
    I’d be interested in a lightweight bonnet at the right price, as for venting it would probably be better to supply un-vented items due to the complex nature of the aerodynamics involved.
    Most vented after market bonnets on the market(despite looking good) simply don’t work in the way logic suggests they should.
    It’s very easy to obtain exactly the opposite air flow through the vents due to the inter action of high/low pressure areas, other factors like the fitment /design of any undertray also effect results.
    In short any vents that are required to work in a specific way should be fitted retrospectively to a design that takes into account their intended function and the variables involved. (as much as is practicable with the resources available to the normal Joe).

Rides
    We have a pressure differential meter that we can use to help determine areas of high and low pressure and develop the bonnet properly rather than just guessing

Rides
    We have a pressure differential meter that we can use to help determine areas of high and low pressure and develop the bonnet properly rather than just guessing
    I'll watch this space then

Rides

where abouts would you aquire one of these? I assume a basic variety could be had for pennies.

Rides
    Its Yaks, I dont know where he got it from. Its a pretty old instrument but makes no odds, it works

Rides
    i could be interested in these

Rides
    Its Yaks, I dont know where he got it from. Its a pretty old instrument but makes no odds, it works
    Its not old... its just American!

Rides
    Sorry, looks like an antique! Nothing wrong with old instruments mind.

Rides
    sounds good would be intrested in a bonnet! what sort of timescale would we be looking at? has throwing a fair bit at our motor and would like to get a rough idea so we can plan accordingly...

would we have any heat problems with out top mount turbo warping/melting etc?

many thanks...