Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coilovers what peeps are using and how they fair

Rides

coilovers what peeps are using and how they fair

Need to fit new coilovers ive busted 5 in 2 years so would like to know what peeps are using and how they fair,Am looking for a fast road set up suitable for track days as well thanks Will need them asap as car has little or no front suspension lol

Rides
    The new driftworks sets seem to get good reviews. I am on a set of Apex Gen 1s that i have just setup correctly. They are on 8/6 springs and while it handles the springs are a bit too hard for Uk roads.

Rides
    HSD (Driftworks) 8/6 Mid-level one (called HR over here), good for the money. Not the best, but for the price your paying its excellent. Damper settings result in linear effect (as proven on shock dynos) vs a gradient curve on the more expensive stuff. But you'd hardly notice it unless your doing competitive time-attacks!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TrIcK^ View Post
    The new driftworks sets seem to get good reviews. I am on a set of Apex Gen 1s that i have just setup correctly. They are on 8/6 springs and while it handles the springs are a bit too hard for Uk roads.
    I'm running Gen 1s with 5/4 springs and the springs are a bit too hard for british roads

In fairness its acceptable even with uprated ARBs but I'd like to go softer on the springs and harder on the damping to get a less boingy ride. If I can't source softer springs I'm going to try KYB AGXs and standard springs with the ARBs and see what that is like.

The Gen 2s are supposed to be better designed as the Gen 1s tend to rattle a bit at the back which is quite annoying after a while.

Rides
    im using apex gen 2s and loove them!

Rides
    No rattle

Rides
    i'm running gen1 apex's with 8/6's they're hard as fook... my well endowed missus tends to complain if i go for a stint of b road madness

Rides
    Im running apex 8/6's and dont find them that hard with the right dampning set up, although with a few clicks u can revert em to beastily

Still quit stiff compared to standards tho and much better improvement, best one ive done so far id say

Rides
    Oh stupid question as i havent a clue.... whats the difference between the gen1 apex coilovers and gen2

Rides
    Im running apex gen 2 on 8/6 and they are good fun but when the dampners are set a little hard you do feel the B roads quite well lol, fantastic for smooth surfaces and well maintained roads

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown source View Post
    Im running apex gen 2 on 8/6 and they are good fun but when the dampners are set a little hard you do feel the B roads quite well lol, fantastic for smooth surfaces and well maintained roads

Well mine sound like the gen 2s then

You got any pics as urs would be the same??

Rides
    gen 2's have rubber topmounts at the rear iirc as opposed to mental hardcoreness of the gen 1's... incidentally how to you adjust damping on these?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzario View Post
    gen 2's have rubber topmounts at the rear iirc as opposed to mental hardcoreness of the gen 1's... incidentally how to you adjust damping on these?

Cheers for that bud I have the gen 1s then

Rides
    I personally found (on an s14a however), that the gen 1 8/6's were fantastic. Got the odd twang every now and then, but in general they were very good. They softened (bed in) after a few weeks and were no longer as harsh as when I first fit them.

They really were confidence building I found. Not really sure why everyone thought they were bad, but bear in mind that it was my first coil-over'd car.

Matthew

Rides
    i'm running gen1 apex's with 8/6's they're hard as fook... my well endowed missus tends to complain if i go for a stint of b road madness
    Mine does too. any little bump and i hear "uenff" or "gahhh" as her boobs bounce about

So i tend to avoid them if possible

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TrIcK^ View Post
    Mine does too. any little bump and i hear "uenff" or "gahhh" as her boobs bounce about

So i tend to avoid them if possible
    you avoid them

Rides
    bit confuzzled by your question, on my gen2s there are click adjustable dampners on the top so its quickly adjustable for road, fast road and track, without that little knob my ass would be painful

Rides
    without that little knob my ass would be painful
    Lol, Sorry.....
    S13 No2 :: Refresh in progress

Rides
    fantastic for smooth surfaces and well maintained roads
    Pretty crap in England then

Rides
    bit confuzzled by your question, on my gen2s there are click adjustable dampners on the top so its quickly adjustable for road, fast road and track, without that little knob my ass would be painful
    Mine don't click