Thread: The Garage Saurus S14 -Most successful 200sx?

Rides

The Garage Saurus S14 -Most successful 200sx?

Thought we should have a thread dedicated to this car. I love it, especially in its slightly older form, simply performance.

Please post up any pics, links or info you have, thanks.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature.../photo_02.html

http://kultivate.wordpress.com/2008/...ets-an-update/

Nissan Silvia S14 - Tyranno Saurus Rex
    Scratch that image of S14 Silvia drift cars from your mind. The small, lightweight Nissan FR sports car might be by far the most popular drift car in the world, but its potential spans far beyond smoking tires while traveling sideways. Hayashi-san at Garage Saurus is someone who likes to do things differently. His shop is one of the most established tuning garages in Japan and has, over the years, built some of the fastest and most extreme machinery in the country. Being primarily interested in drag racing has led Hayashi-san to push the boundaries of engine tuning beyond the limits of what may theoretically be feasible. This experience has led him to build extremely tough and competent street cars for his customers. But some years ago he decided to jump on the circuit-attack bandwagon and have a bash at doing something a little different. The result is the Silvia in these pages, the fastest S14 in Japan.
    555PSGarage Saurus is definitely not into the showy side of aftermarket tuning. Their approach is somewhat different from others in this game. They set goals, research how best to achieve them and simply get down to the job at hand. You won't find Hayashi-san boasting in tuning magazines how his next car will blow the competition away. Far from it in fact. He and his team will just show up at an event and attempt their best. Pretty much what they did at the 2004 Tsukuba Lap Battle with the mighty BNR32 Skyline GT-R and what they did in 2005 at the same event with this S14. Winning the "FR" (front engine, rear-drive) class at the Rev Speed magazine organized event is no mean feat, but to post a time close to 57 seconds flat while doing it is another matter. A time like that is in GT-R and Lancer Evo territory. It's simply outstanding for an S14 to achieve these kinds of times and is a true testament to their quality of work and of course to the skills of the driver in question. The latter is none other than Nobuteru Taniguchi, one of the most skilled wheelman in Japan and probably the best at extracting the fastest times out of highly tuned machinery like this. So what's the secret behind the Saurus Silvia? They have the main ingredients for a fast circuit car: bucket loads of power and a reasonably light curb weight. The engine has been fitted with a fully balanced and fully forged Tomei 2.2 L kit. This adds a lighter bottom end and close to 200 cc of additional capacity to play with. The forged internals are capable of sustaining high boost pressures supplied by the Trust TD07 turbine, while the head allows the air and fuel mixture to enter at just the right speed and quantity to produce the massive 555 PS this little 4-cylinder puts out. Boost pressure is controlled by a Trust racing external wastegate connected to the same stainless steel exhaust manifold as the turbine. An HKS EVC-Pro is preprogrammed to assure the best possible boost curve. Keeping an eye on the A/F ratio is a Neko meter, while ignition and fueling maps are handled by the HKS F-Con V Pro ECU. On the intake side, Saurus has gone the unconventional route. In place of the single throttle usually used on such hi-powered SR20 applications, they have opted for the Tomei 4-throttle setup ( 48 mm) and a custom-designed and built intake plenum. This allowed for precise tuning, allowing for a more consistent A/F ratio to all 4 cylinders and smoother and fuller power and torque curves, just what you need in circuit racing. 1000cc injectors are fed by the two Nismo fuel pumps inside the ATL 30L tank.
    An HKS sequential transmission allows Nob to use the engine's capabilities to the fullest with immediate up changes and lightning-fast downshifts. The OS Giken clutch and LSD are the final touches to a bullet-proof driveline. GAB suspension and adjustable Cusco arms have allowed for a fine tuning of the car's handling and behavior around Tsukuba while the BNR34 Skyline GT-R Brembo brakes have proved up to the job of shedding speed at an adequate rate. Advan RS 17" wheels are shod in Advan A048 semi-slick tires ("S" soft compound) for an extremely grippy setup. Being a dedicated circuit racer the Saurus S14 has been tuned to generate lots of down force at speed thanks to the huge carbon GT wing and the front canards, which help bring in more speed into the tricky last corner at Tsukuba. To create a more aerodynamic shape the S14 has been fitted with the smoother S15 front end, which is comprised of lights, hood and fenders. The interior, with only one seat, is functional to say the least. The instrumentation is made up of a Stack 8100 dash unit providing all the engine's vital parameters through the LCD display. The LCD readout of the Neko A/F meter is positioned where the ashtray used to be, while the HKS Circuit Attack timer is fitted in clear view on top of the center vents.

If posting the fastest FR-class time at Tsukuba wasn't enough, Hayashi-san has proven just how good his S14 is by drag racing it where it posted a 10.1-second second pass. Even in the 0- to 1000-meter sprint it managed a respectable 18.5-second run while it can reach 307 km/h flat out, probably only restricted by the gear ratios in the HKS transmission. With results like this it's no wonder this S14's development has ended. There's nothing left for the Silvia to do. Saurus took up the challenge to build a fast circuit car and they achieved their goals-and then some!

Specs: Saurus Garage S14 Silvia
    max power: 555 PS top speed: 307 km/h (191mph)
    Tsukuba Best Time: 57.010 Sec.
    Fuji Speedway Best Time: 1 Min. 51.161 Sec.
    0-400m Best Time: 10.101 Sec.
    0-1000m 18.4 Sec.
    Engine
    Tomei 2.2 L engine kit, crank, conrod & pistons (87 mm x 92 mm, 2138 cc)
    Saurus N2 ported & polished head (large Tomei valves, Tomei rockers, Tomei springs)
    Tomei 288 IN/EX cams
    Trust TD07-25G-R-WG turbine
    Trust Racing external wastegate
    Trust exhaust manifold
    Saurus full titanium exhaust system
    Trust triple row intercooler
    Tomei 48 mm 4 throttle kit
    Saurus custom intake plenum
    SARD 1000 cc injectors x4
    Trust 16-row oil cooler
    HKS Twin Power CDI
    HKS F-Con V Pro
    ATL 30L racing fuel tank
    Nismo in tank fuel pumps x2
    Driveline
    HKS/Hollinger 5-Speed transmission
    OS Giken R3A-SPL clutch system
    OS Giken Super Lock LSD
    Exterior
    S15 front end conversion
    Saurus front bumper
    Titanium side canards
    Saurus carbon bonnet
    Saurus side step
    Saurus rear bumper spoiler
    FRP rear trunk lid
    Carbon GT-wing
    Aero mirrors
    FRP doors
    Interior
    Fully spot welded and reinforced shell
    Saurus custom fabricated Chrome Moly roll cage
    Fully stripped out
    Custom door panels
    Bride bucket seat
    Willans racing harness
    Nardi racing steering wheel
    Nismo boss
    BNR34 GT-R shift knob
    SARD/STACK 8100 data-logger dash unit
    Neko A/F meter
    HKS EVC-Pro boost controller
    HKS Circuit Attack timer
    ALT fuel tank meter
    Wheels & Tires
    Advan RS 17"x9" (front), 17"x10" (rear)
    Advan A048 245/40/17 (front), 255/40/17 (rear)
    Suspension
    GAB adjustable suspension
    9 kg/mm front springs, 7 kg/mm rear springs
    Cusco adjustable pillow arms
    Nismo stiffer bushes
    Cusco stabilizers
    BNR34 full Brembo Brake kit (front & rear)
    Project pads

Rides
    Didn't even know it existed, but DEFINITELY the kind of car that interests me more than a drift chariot!
    '99 S14A Garage Find (off the road since 2007) - WIP

Rides
    Oh yeah, its cool, mighty cool, and a little bit quick too.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

Translation is a little funny, but you get the idea.

Rides
    Great car!
    Just think if they tuned the toyota soarer, you could have one of those Saurus soarers!

Rides
    Very nice Im reading lots of bits and pieces about tuned SR's at the moment. I know endless have got something on the go at the moment, as mentioned on the GTR owners club theyre playing with an 800bhp SR22 engine at the moment.....

Rides
    Yes, its a top car thats for sure.

I cannot find the pics of when it first came out, with the Advan RG's and less aero stuff, it looked so good.

Rides
    Vid:

Must be old-ish, as has a normal H pattern gearbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpFPk...=182530&page=2

Rides
    10.1 quarter mile from 550bhp

Thats seriously impressive

Rides
    A truly stonking example

I almost brought a StageA tuned by Garage Saurus last year (over 400bhp) but i couldnt get him down enough on price at the time, absolutely gutted

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Squares View Post
    Vid:

Fookin impressive. More vids please

Rides
    Woooohw, what an awesome car, race-spec defining for sure. Like that roll cage And a 10.1 pass is just beyond words...

I'd like to see that thing being built, must of been a big..big..BIIIG amount of work when I read they stitch welded the whole chassis
    Last edited by Vova; 12-06-2008 at 18:50.

Rides
    Here are the pics I couldn't find. Had them tucked away on my home pc.

SEXUAL!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Squares View Post
    Vid:

I have done hundreds of laps in forza on that course, but it looks absolutely terrifying going that fast in real life

I'm 13 all the way but that is damn impressive

Rides
    Nice car this is what i like to see track spec 200's more please

less of the drifty bollocks

Rides
    looking at the clock on youtube that looks like a 57-58 second lap anyway, so I wonder if the spec is incorrect and meant to say straight-cut rather than sequential box?

Looks very fast regardless, and definitely what I am aiming *towards* with my car; I think around 400bhp is going to be my limit, but I'll go more silly on the suspension

...off to see the chaps at 'caged' in a bit so see what we can come up with for a sensible budget that's actually going to help the chassis perform better

*Oh, and sorry for digging this up from the past, but as said in the post above it's much nicer to see a car like this instead of the millionth drift slag "wow your tatty cracked bumper, shit paint and zipties are so inspiring"

Jonty
    Last edited by tomo1; 22-12-2008 at 08:42.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LewyS14a View Post
    Nice car this is what i like to see track spec 200's more please

less of the drifty bollocks
    Nice car in your avatar.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Nice car in your avatar.

snide! lmao!

c'mon where's the pics, looks insane in the garage pics - any more of it in that guise?