Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my new brakes!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Squares View Post
    PMSL. Gold as always Jonny.

I agree completely, and why I object so strongly to the cheap chinese stuff, it doesn't appear to be made to any kind of standard appoval etc, it just worries me. It might even be ok now or for 2 years, but what happens in 5 years, or 10 years from now? This stuff is coming out of the same place as snapped coilovers and rear arms that after 5 mins have loads of play in. Not for me thanks.

Also agree about size ben, think the "whats the biggest discs I can get" thing is the wrong way of looking at it, whats the smallest, lightest setup that will suite my needs might be a better way to approach it.

I have 343mm AP 6pot strap drives up front, with R33 Gtr rears, and in a full weight car running 400bhp and slicks, fade doesn't even nearly come into it. That is proper continued track time too, braking from 140mph + at Spa etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fil View Post
    Very true. Our S-bodies are not that heavy when compared to GTRs, Astons and the like. There has to be an optimum disc diameter/pad surface area, rather than just going for the biggest you can get. Tyre traction must also come into play at some point as the limiting factor...
    Bigger discs = more unsprung weight, and you may need big wheels to get them under, which means more weight.

Another thing that I have noticed when looking at aftermarket calipers are the types of seals fitted to the pistons. Lots of aftermarket brakes don't have outer dust seals, which on a road car means they have to be regularly maintained to stop them seizing.
    people agree with me??

im running aston rear 4 pot brembo calipers and 330mm discs and for a stripped out track car i think i should be fine if fade starts to play up ill upgrade to a hotter pad thats what theyre there for.....its no good going for discs bigger than the moon and high temp pads and then complaining about pad deposits on the discs

the pads on the aston calipers arent bigger than the std s14 pads...they may even be slightly smaller but there isnt much in it.....however all my pad sits over the disc whereas with a lot of the big disc kits not all the pad sits over the disc and yet people have reported no fade issues so again i think im going to be fine

also ill be setting up some good brake ducting which will help further with temps

hopefully upgrade to alloy belled discs next year to bring the weight down
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Ben,

How thick are those rears? Sound overkill to me bud. What are R33 gtr's? 300mm x 25mm? I am running them, which are twin pot brembo's, standard pads and discs, and after 2000 miles and 3 track days, the pads are still a less than 20% worn and the bias is perfect with a 300zx m/s. Plus they bolt straight on.

Hope that helps,

cheers.

Rides
    im talking about my front brakes

theyre aston db9 rears
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Sorry.

I think you will be at the limit of them on track with that power.

Regards,

Rides
    there was a review on some gtr site of the grex kits and they pissed on everything, i made the mistake of buying cheap shitty chinese parts like coilovers... trust me i wont ever make that mistake again...

buy right buy once, buy cheap... buy twice when you replace with the right stuff in 12months time lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLicE View Post
    there was a review on some gtr site of the grex kits and they pissed on everything, i made the mistake of buying cheap shitty chinese parts like coilovers... trust me i wont ever make that mistake again...

buy right buy once, buy cheap... buy twice when you replace with the right stuff in 12months time lol
    Amen brother.