Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my new brakes!!

Rides
    lucky bastard! or should i say skint bastard?

Rides
    very nice indeed... im not jelous... much!

Rides
    It would be great if someone could do a back to back test with the Grex, K-sports, AP and stockers, I really do wonder if the mother-of-god-expensive kits are realy worth their money over cheaper quality ones.

Rides
    Very nice setup. Go easy on the middle pedal

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave270R View Post
    Thats what I have

Fitting next week
    guess what?

me too

did you get yours off twisted on dw by any chance?
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    no, he got them off me

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vova View Post
    I really do wonder if the mother-of-god-expensive kits are realy worth their money over cheaper quality ones.
    Thats because your brain is very small, or at best inefficient.

Nice brakes mate and I am pretty sure they are made by Alcon too, which can only be a good thing. Hats off for spending a bit extra and getting something high quality.

Rides
    So how many different companies actually make brakes of this size?

I know plenty sell them, but I presume they're all just badged up castings bright from elsewhere?

I am going to stick my neck out and guess that Brembo make their own. As do AP. KSport I am guessing do, as they seem to like large numbers of pistons... but surely the costs of tools for these things must be huge, so there cant actually be that many different ones?

Rides
    OOOO nicce!

I am sure i saw them for sale recently!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by archenemy.co.uk View Post
    no, he got them off me

Z32 BMC and 360mm discs, should be nice

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    So how many different companies actually make brakes of this size?
    The ksport & D2 caliper kits come from the same place

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Squares View Post
    Thats because your brain is very small, or at best inefficient.

Nice brakes mate and I am pretty sure they are made by Alcon too, which can only be a good thing. Hats off for spending a bit extra and getting something high quality.
    Efficient and big enough to rebuild a car, get a Law and Economics degree and complete a Auto-technique course

..ohw, and speaking 4 different languages and 2 dialects fluently too.

ps. 'Thats' is spelled * That's * as it is "That is" ..Mr. big efficient brain

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vova View Post
    Efficient and big enough to rebuild a car, get a Law and Economics degree and complete a Auto-technique course

..ohw, and speaking 4 different languages and 2 dialects fluently too.
    to be realistic though .. if you were in any way properly smart you would be laying in a boat in Monarco with a Lambo, a few ferraries, a GT3, private helicopter, stunning show wife, a whore of a daughter and your own empire ?

Rides
    Coming out of school, setting up a company and earn millions in the first year is indeed quite realistic

Rides
    Please forgive me for getting off topic but what's with all this getting at Vova for no apparent reason all about?

Every thread I read there seems to be someone having a go. If something has been said that you don't agree with then it should be left on that specific thread not carried to every thread that Vova ever decides to post on

Rides
    well at least he has one friend on here

back on topic.........i only ask dave as i got two passenger side calipers off of twisted and someone else is floating about with two drivers side

as a very important safety feature on the car and having cooked stds very quickly i dont mind paying for decent brakes though i dont believe all this 356 and 360mm brake stuff is really necessary and im going to be running 500hp
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    So you think I may have overdone it with 6 pot brembos and 360s on my bog standard S14a auto then?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    So you think I may have overdone it with 6 pot brembos and 360s on my bog standard S14a auto then?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    to be realistic though .. if you were in any way properly smart you would be laying in a boat in Monarco with a Lambo, a few ferraries, a GT3, private helicopter, stunning show wife, a whore of a daughter and your own empire ?
    PMSL. Gold as always Jonny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    as a very important safety feature on the car and having cooked stds very quickly i dont mind paying for decent brakes though i dont believe all this 356 and 360mm brake stuff is really necessary and im going to be running 500hp
    I agree completely, and why I object so strongly to the cheap chinese stuff, it doesn't appear to be made to any kind of standard appoval etc, it just worries me. It might even be ok now or for 2 years, but what happens in 5 years, or 10 years from now? This stuff is coming out of the same place as snapped coilovers and rear arms that after 5 mins have loads of play in. Not for me thanks.

Also agree about size ben, think the "whats the biggest discs I can get" thing is the wrong way of looking at it, whats the smallest, lightest setup that will suite my needs might be a better way to approach it.

I have 343mm AP 6pot strap drives up front, with R33 Gtr rears, and in a full weight car running 400bhp and slicks, fade doesn't even nearly come into it. That is proper continued track time too, braking from 140mph + at Spa etc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Very true. Our S-bodies are not that heavy when compared to GTRs, Astons and the like. There has to be an optimum disc diameter/pad surface area, rather than just going for the biggest you can get. Tyre traction must also come into play at some point as the limiting factor...
    Bigger discs = more unsprung weight, and you may need big wheels to get them under, which means more weight.

Another thing that I have noticed when looking at aftermarket calipers are the types of seals fitted to the pistons. Lots of aftermarket brakes don't have outer dust seals, which on a road car means they have to be regularly maintained to stop them seizing.