Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 Cabriolet SLOW!!!

Rides
    It's horses for courses.

To me an E46 M3 is much quicker than a 600bhp S14a because I can't fit four people in my S14a so have to do the trip twice or not take the people I want to, that's a true FAIL in my books.

I have a 6 year old who has run out of leg room already in the S14a LOL. FAIL

Once you get to a certain point of power, you soon realise that factors like the way a car hnadles and drives and the total ownership experience are important factors in addition to outright straight line speed.
    Last edited by Scottie; 10-06-2008 at 15:53.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I am not a taxi so that doesnt bother me
    But imho its not worth spending the cash on an m3 if you already have a fast sx, if your looking for performance. If your after a similar quick car with good handling and space then yeah.
    But then i would just buy and M5, well if it wasnt for the huge parts/warrenty costs..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    It's horses for courses.

To me an E46 M3 is much quicker than a 600bhp S14a because I can't fit four people in my S14a so have to do the trip twice or not take the people I want to, that's a true FAIL in my books.

Once you get to a certain point of power, you soon realise that factors like the way a car hnadles and drives and the total ownership experience are important factors in addition to outright straight line speed.
    Its good to have a car like that.

I think of the Golf R32 the same - I know its not as powerful - but the handling is good and it great on the road - which is what matters. The car is shared between me, my gf and her mom as an everyday car for going to work shopping etc. I always say why didn't we get it an not an R34 GTR or something like that! Then my GF points out - her mom not really gonna drive some 400bhp skyline to work, its not going to be as comfortable, servicing, automatic(for her mom) etc etc......
    Last edited by _shaun_; 03-12-2008 at 17:04.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I am not a taxi so that doesnt bother me
    But imho its not worth spending the cash on an m3 if you already have a fast sx, if your looking for performance. If your after a similar quick car with good handling and space then yeah.
    But then i would just buy and M5, well if it wasnt for the huge parts/warrenty costs..
    I'd keep the SX as it's great for the money and for trackdays and country road blasts.

The M3 would win on merit as a daily car, as RWD, great performance and useability are high on the agenda. Just because you already have one quick car does't mean your other one shouldn't be

Funnily enough, I started looking at E39 M5's, but the amount of engine failures, parts issues, and eye watering costs are what directed me to M3's LOL.

To the taxi point I'd return with - perhaps when you have friends you'd understand
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Yeah but you could get your friends into a fiat multipla, i mean you shouldnt need to do 150mph with 4 folk in the car. That said you would prob end up with no mates if you bought a multipla so...
    I was put off the M5 for exactly the same reason, i really wanted an E39 M5 but the cost of a new engine being almost as much as a new car is err...
    What about one of those merc things that shift, AMG whatsits..

Rides
    Hmm If I had to choose between an M3 and a 200sx I'd choose an Alpina

Awesome cars, although I do miss that nuttiness of the 200sx going around corners fast - i.e. not TC, vast amounts of torque etc.

Rich

edit: whoops, that was an old thread!

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post

Awesome cars, although I do miss that nuttiness of the 200sx going around corners fast - i.e. not TC, vast amounts of torque etc.

Rich

edit: whoops, that was an old thread!
    Yup and you are still wrong, the M3 is much better, the Alpina still feels far too similar to the plain 3 series its based on
    Now just a man!

Rides
    That makes about as much sense as Coronation Street

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Yup and you are still wrong, the M3 is much better, the Alpina still feels far too similar to the plain 3 series its based on
    Have you test driven a B3S or even seen one in Coupe form?

It has custom Alpina suspension which, yes, lets you drive for miles in sublime comfort.. yet in the twisties will show most cars a clean set of heals. It has a custom subtle Alpina bodykit - gentlemen don't need bulges and fins on every panel
    It has ~315+bhp (when tested on RR) and more torque than an M3 out of the box (I think) thanks to the the Mahle internalled 3.4 engine and in manual will do 62 in 5 seconds and 167mph (unlimited from stock).

Besides, everyone has an M3, how many people have an Alpina B3S? 26 tops (one got written off the other day )

Besides, I pay £185/year TAX and £400 FC insurance

I rest my case.

Rich

Rides
    I recon, in the right hands, the Non Turbo'd M3 will wipe the floor with even a stage 3 14 on the track

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by StuyMac View Post
    I recon, in the right hands, the Non Turbo'd M3 will wipe the floor with even a stage 3 14 on the track
    I dont not if the 14 had also had the suspension and brakes sorted and was also 'in the right hands'
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Anyone got any "unofficial" lap times for any of the UK circuits in a stg 3 car?

A friend of mine has been racing a mechanically std E36 M3 this season and won all but 1 race he entered (beaten by a £50k E30 M3) - Id like to compaire some times if they are available....

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Have you test driven a B3S or even seen one in Coupe form?

It has custom Alpina suspension which, yes, lets you drive for miles in sublime comfort.. yet in the twisties will show most cars a clean set of heals. It has a custom subtle Alpina bodykit - gentlemen don't need bulges and fins on every panel
    It has ~315+bhp (when tested on RR) and more torque than an M3 out of the box (I think) thanks to the the Mahle internalled 3.4 engine and in manual will do 62 in 5 seconds and 167mph (unlimited from stock).

Besides, everyone has an M3, how many people have an Alpina B3S? 26 tops (one got written off the other day )

Besides, I pay £185/year TAX and £400 FC insurance

I rest my case.

Rich
    You make all the points for looking at a car like an investment and none like being a car enthusiast.

We have had this conversation before on another thread and as I said, yes I have.

Exclusivity is for boring people who don't own a car for the right reason, i.e.: the driving experience, if you want exclusivity go find a rare stamp or do collect something where its purpose is to be rare, not to, for example be a driving experience...

Your car, driven for the purpose of driving, will be less fun in any circumstance to my m3, keep kidding yourself if you want, consider yourself to be a gentleman and enjoy your tax relief because if you consider those to be the highlights of a car owning experience then its a polar opposite to most peoples...
    Now just a man!

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I dont not if the 14 had also had the suspension and brakes sorted and was also 'in the right hands'
    I do
    Now just a man!

Rides
    As an initial point of reference Ive just looked at one of the Team Apex S13's times at brands and it was a second slower than the M3...

Im also talking about an E36 (Non Evo) that was RR'd at Dyno Demon at 261bhp at the flywheel at the start of the season...

I love the S Bodys, but I think the M3 is a more drivable car on a track
    Last edited by StuyMac; 03-12-2008 at 14:19.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I do
    Right, weekender next year, you, me and the hill
    Mark is right.

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Okay

I am also happy to use our tame racing driver, the GmasterT
    Now just a man!

Rides
    As an initial point of reference Ive just looked at one of the Team Apex S13's times at brands and it was a second slower than the M3...
    Yer but they cant drive for shit

you cant make any comparisons unless its the same track on the same day with the same driver

Someone write to Top Gear
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

you cant make any comparisons unless its the same track on the same day with the same driver
    Until that happens this thread will just go on, and on, and on.....

I can supply the M3 and the driver - anyone want to loan a stg 3 car for the day

Rides
    Until that happens this thread will just go on, and on, and on.....

I can supply the M3 and the driver - anyone want to loan a stg 3 car for the day
    I just find it bizzare that all the really good drivers drive BMW M3s and not the car they are up against.