Thread: Want to buy an S13, What to look out for?

Rides

Want to buy an S13, What to look out for?

I've been looking for an S13 for a while now seen a few but would like some advice on what to look out for. Like I saw one at the weekend and it was like a smoke machine I'm sure that can't be good, so I walked away. I've got about £2000 to spend but would like to keep some back for mods etc.

Rides
    1) RUST - and that may seem pretty generic but they really are starting to rust everywhere now, chassis rails and front cross member especially

2) Engine knocks/rattles/smoke - any of this, regardless of whether the owner tells you it's nothing to worry about, get a second opinion or RUN

3) Service history/general condition - S13's that are uncared for will literally turn into money pits VERY quickly. If they've been well looked after and maintained the chances are you'll be ok. Be VERY wary of the DIY mechanic and their previous bodges - the amount of times we've seen "big end bearings changed 500 miles ago therefore ok" only for someone to start a thread saying "what's this knocking noise, can't be big ends they've been changed?" is quite literally shocking.

Overall - good luck in finding a good one.

Rides
    Welcome

£2k is enough for a pretty decent example, things to look out for are funny noises, smoke and rust... don't get impatient and buy one because you need one now, take your time and find a good one

Rides
    I've seen one just now that i'm quite interested in but I'm a bit worried about the mileage. It's done 132k altough it has alot of servece history, its completely standard and the current owner has owned the car for the last 8 years. What do you think?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE200HILTON View Post
    I've seen one just now that i'm quite interested in but I'm a bit worried about the mileage. It's done 132k altough it has alot of servece history, its completely standard and the current owner has owned the car for the last 8 years. What do you think?
    personally I think mileage doesnt matter as long as relevant parts have been replaced when necessary and the cars been properly maintained.

although personally if I was to buy an s13 I'd get one suffering from as much rust as possible so that it was only a couple of hundred quid and then weld it up
    bovvered?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazoobe View Post
    personally I think mileage doesnt matter as long as relevant parts have been replaced when necessary and the cars been properly maintained.

although personally if I was to buy an s13 I'd get one suffering from as much rust as possible so that it was only a couple of hundred quid and then weld it up
    if thats what you want mate, they're was one in the forsale section last week with a norris forged engine and body rust, think he went down to about 1000 for the whole car, i nearly bought it just for the engine,

sorry for the hijak,

welcome to the club,

An s13 is like a very expensive whore, looks a little cheap, but dressed up nice is stunning, will give you the best ride of your life but cost you the earth to it

Rides
    I love my S13 and wouldn't change it for the world. But a word of warning, if your struggling financially don't buy an S13. Mine is off the road until Sept/Oct to have lots of work done and it's a rust-free example. Damn mod bug.

Kiz, you need to change your signature to your new sexy wheels!

Rides
    i run mine as my daily drive, it does cost to run and maintain and as previously said correct previous bodges but for the smile it puts on my face and to not look like any other cars out there its worth every penny

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChin View Post
    Kiz, you need to change your signature to your new sexy wheels!
    yeah true. im getting a decent photoshoot organised soon so i can have some nice high res shots done, then there will be a new sig,

Rides
    i spent £2.5k on mine and its a mint example a few of my mates havent seen a 13 in the same condition, it already had some mods on it like fmic, stage1 chip, fuel pump, intake, exhaust and thats about it. so with £2k you should pick up a decent motor. the best advice i can give you is.

1. DO NOT rush into it take your time looking for the perfect one

2. DO NOT limit youself to a milage. (i spent 5 hours traveling to mine and 4 and a half driving back)

3.Rust like everyone will say

Rides
    decide now you want from the car and what sort of power you would like to have. I bought mine standard, and then went to stage two (270bhp) to stage three 320bhp and now a custom setup. Then there is the handling mods, uprated shocks and springs for everyday road use and front and rear anti roll bars that go well with the setup. Rear subframe polybushes or locking collars to tighten up the rear end and then when it handle's well and you add more power you need to upgrade the braking system to 4 pot capilers and bigger discs. Where does it end......

What im getting at that if i had my choice again, i would wait until one popped up with the spec i wanted and go for that as would have saved my a fortune.

As said above RUST. Many have being broken because they have rusted so bad. TBH i would would stay away from cars that have being welded up, you cant stop rust, it just spreads and spreads and what i cant understand why people cant see that car that has it's chasis ect welded up will fold in an accident IMO, not the type of car i would like to own.

Take you time, if it sounds to good to be true, IT IS. If there is something your not sure of walk away. I would personally buy one from another member on this board as may have a better chance of being looked after properly.

Best of look.