Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage LSD: Project Ressurection

Rides

Garage LSD: Project Ressurection

In a world where cars battle in sideways motion, 2 men set out to make a machine that would destroy all competition. They call themselves Garage LSD! This is the tale of one car and one garage's struggle through rust and bankruptcy to bring the viewing public an inspiration to their monotonous linear lives.

Some of you have most likely seen this slide-ways machine before during its original incarnation but after taking a closer look underneath her recently whilst robbing fuel tank straps for garage LSD's recently completed road car we found that the rust had found a new home in enough places to warrant a restoration. As my new employment status is in training i cant afford to run the car this year so i'm taking the year out as an oppurtunity to do away with the rust and bring an s13 shell back to its deserved glory.

Last year:
    JAE

Doing what its meant for

One for the lads

Rides
    I have a few plans as to how im going to tackle the rust problem and it will give me the oppurtunity to make some improvements whilst im at it. I began yesterday afternoon by stripping the car down to a bare shell.

The internal wiring loom just needs disconnected from the diff before i take it all out as I intend to replace as little of it as is necessary. The running gear will be removed as soon as puggers car is away for its mot so i can roll mine through to the workshop.

There was two kick panels on the car that i never thought to look underneath the whole time i've had it but they revealed some nice holes. Also the front cross member is one of the first things on the list to go.

Rides
    rather you than me, all am saying!

Rides
    where was my mention

good luck min ill help as much as i can just gimme a shout

Rides
    Good luck guys! looking forward to updates on this one

Rides
    Well this weekend ended up as a bit of a failure, was hoping to have got it through and got cracking on the underside but getting puggers car ready for its mot took more than the half hour or so we were expecting and its still not quite ready As a bit of stress release I let him play with his favourite tool as i couldn't bare to see that cross member looking back at me every time I see the car. Also decided how its replacement is gonna fit so as to leave as much of the original strengthening gussets and removed the last of the wiring loom from the inside of the car.

Last edited by Dunkz; 30-03-2008 at 18:22.

Rides
    Those foot plates, where did you get them from?

Rides
    the rust isnt too bad mate, you know s13's it could be worse
    you making your own front cross member, or buying a nissan replacement ?

Rides
    silvia 200sx : the foot plates are just a bit of chequer plate bent at one end

ol 200 : the rust doesnt appear too bad as i haven't shown it all and some of it was fixed last year for its mot, but as soon as i get a chance to get stuck in the rust problem will become apparent. Also the replacement cross member is sat at the bottom of the last pic, bit of box section.

Rides
    ahhh, i see

That will have more strength than the original.

Is there alot of tin worm ?

Rides
    Where did you get the plate from?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by silvia_200sx View Post
    Where did you get the plate from?

They were in the car hen he bought it..

Its just aluminum Chequar plate mate, iirc about 3mm thick.

You should get at a large hardware store or local metal dealer

Mind buy the bendy stuff (ie 5083-0) if not it'll break up on you altho i think 3 mm trade plate only comes in bendy

Rides
    Thats the info i was after. Thanks.

Rides
    update already!!!
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    update already!!!
    Hopefully got a wee something up my sleeve so i can't really progress much till then. Plus i've had a huge back log of cars needing fixed. Which has now been cleared.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkz View Post
    Hopefully got a wee something up my sleeve so i can't really progress much till then. Plus i've had a huge back log of cars needing fixed. Which has now been cleared.
    Were gonna need to get some work done to it asap... 10 weeks and counting until im rendered busy lol

need to get the punto sold...

Rides
    Finally got a bit more work done yesterday afternoon.

Pulled the rear hatch off.

for one of my sponsors.

Fuel tank out.

Then we got started on making up something for the rear end. Pic of pugger hard at it doing his fabrication bit. Anyone work out what it is?

After pugger had finished welding that up we dropped the subframe off. Looking more like a monster truck now.

I also had a poke around at the filler on the driver side rear wing. is pretty thick to say the least, was a nightmare trying to get the rear bumper off as the last bolt at the bottom on the right thats covered by the plastic vent box isnt accesible without taking it off. the wing is bent in enough that the box wont come over the bolts so had to get in about it with a hacksaw blade till it would come out. The pictures show some of the filler i've chipped off and an example of the thickness using a hacksaw blade.

Rides
    well done lads i knowwhat it is

you gonna be working on the car today ?

Rides
    ok, been a bit quiet lately due to incredible amounts of homework and various other work needing carried out but i rallied the troops on saturday to give me a hand getting her up. I'll let the pictures do the talking here but danny nipped up during the week to weld the new front cross member in.

Rides
    and some more

someones been at it before

this stuff if triple skinned here, thank god for 1mm cutting discs.

Generally its nowhere near as bad as i thought, there was quite a bit of welding done last year for the mot but that looks like it could do with being cut out and re-done as its started to look a bit suspect. when i'm finished with this i have no intention of ever having to worry about rust again so im trying to get it perfect the first time.
    Last edited by Dunkz; 16-06-2008 at 08:51.