Thread: rad cowlings

Rides

rad cowlings

I notice a few people have removed the rad cowlings, usually as they have the rad mounted further back for I/C etc. Just wanted to get some feedback if possible on how it effects heat issues when running / sitting in traffic etc. Im tempted to remove mine and relocate rad back to fit a front mount behind it with easier pipe routing.

Rides
    without the cowling the viscous fan doesn't do its viscousy bit that its supposed to, when out driving spiritedly i'd overheat really quickly until i put the cowling back on then there was no overheating issues at all.

Rides
    My rad is blocked by a huge intercooler. I have no cowling. Only overheated when it popped a HG. It actually used to run too cold, but that's another story

Rides
    The cowling does help the cooling quite alot, but plenty of people have it off and stick a leccy fan in it's place with no issues.

Rides
    i sawed my cowling in half and tie stripped it back on when I fitted my fmic, I am positive it makes a difference

Rides
    Mine sits at 82 degrees regardless. No cowling whatsoever & the entire rad is blocked by my intercooler. Makes no difference on my car at all.

Rides
    Ye olde search bouton, is ye friende

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=323739

Rides
    Mine is overcooling at the moment with the cowling on. I'm not sure whether it's the KA24 viscous fan I'm using or something else, but the cowling is coming off when I fit an FMIC. Hopefully it'll hold a decent temp, it's way too low at the moment. I guess I should get an oil temp/pressure gauge to watch the engine more closely. Maybe when the car is a little less standard

Incidentally, the KA24 fan clutch is a good 15mm shorter than the CA18 one, so should give me enough room to put the cowling back on should I need it after pushing the rad back a bit to get the IC in. The fan is barely in the cowling as it is at the moment.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zunnan View Post
    Mine is overcooling at the moment with the cowling on. I'm not sure whether it's the KA24 viscous fan I'm using or something else, but the cowling is coming off when I fit an FMIC. Hopefully it'll hold a decent temp, it's way too low at the moment. I guess I should get an oil temp/pressure gauge to watch the engine more closely. Maybe when the car is a little less standard

Incidentally, the KA24 fan clutch is a good 15mm shorter than the CA18 one, so should give me enough room to put the cowling back on should I need it after pushing the rad back a bit to get the IC in. The fan is barely in the cowling as it is at the moment.
    If its taking ages to warm up then replace the thermostat.

If its simply never getting up to temp then check the temp sensor isn't reading low.

If the system is also pressurising then it could be a head gasket leak.

Rides
    I don't run the cowling and I've never overheated

Rides
    I'm pretty sure it's just the fan, it was running normally before the old one seized. It gets up to temperature when you put your foot down, but not long after you settle down or get stuck in traffic the temp starts to drop off. The thermostat was changed as soon as I got the car along with other simple service bits like plugs, oil filter and oil change etc. Well you never know what the previous owner did to it, so better safe than sorry

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zunnan View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's just the fan, it was running normally before the old one seized. It gets up to temperature when you put your foot down, but not long after you settle down or get stuck in traffic the temp starts to drop off. The thermostat was changed as soon as I got the car along with other simple service bits like plugs, oil filter and oil change etc. Well you never know what the previous owner did to it, so better safe than sorry
    If your temp drops off when in traffic - I would have said thermostat deffo

Rides
    For the sake of a few quid I'll probably change it again. This ones only 6 months old, but you never know. It's due another service so I'll get to it once I get the 200 back from the body shop.