Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of your Console!

Rides
    Cool, sorted! I really didn't want to sacrifice any heater vents, so that looks like the perfect position for gauges. I had a new stereo the other week, but the BF installed it so I didn't know that you could move it down that easily. Thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lostkat View Post
    BBB did you have much bother moving the stereo down at all? That looks very neat and tidy
    Not really. Had to cut the surround off the Sony mounting plate as it was too large and there are a lot of wires back there so it is like wrestling spaghetti, but otherwise all good. The gauges are not obscured, but the volume control is slightly impeded by the gearstick - not an issue really.

Rides
    i prefer the jdm look (just slap it on the dash)

Rides
    And I thought I had spent a long time and effort on mine. Every one of these on here are really good! So much more work that just shoving it in to a space!!!

Rides
    Did anyone else open this thread expecting to see a load of pictures of Playstations and Xboxes?

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chihiro View Post
    Every one of these on here are really good! So much more work that just shoving it in to a space!!!
    maybe with the exception of mine huh lol

Rides
    Hi Guys,

Just thought i would give you a heads up.. basically, i have done nothing since those pics cus i have been a lazy bastid, too busy pissing it up on the wknd, and then hungover and then pissing up again

However I am putting drinking aside and doing some more on it this wknd So will get some more shots up.

I could have made a mould of the whole thing and used the ashtray hole for this and ciggerette lighter space for that.. but to be honest i just need space for my EVC and my boost gauge, and that DIN slot is going spare

Thanks for your input guys.. there are some mad ones on here 'ProjectS14a' to name a few!

Quick question, i see a lot of you have got little screens in the double din hole.. what are the benefits of this? do you use it for SatNav? or just a toy?? and what size fits well? Hugh Janus yours fits very well!
    Last edited by CrazySx; 06-04-2008 at 15:47.

Rides
    crazySX... see my thread on what I made. Ive just bought a double din head unit on ebay, details at the end of the thread, should arrive today and i'll try fit it over the weekend.
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=343480

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    i see a lot of you have got little screens in the double din hole.. what are the benefits of this? do you use it for SatNav? or just a toy?? and what size fits well?
    mine is purely just a headunit that can also play DVD's (Film/Music) mainly for when i pick up my son we had a 2hr journey it kept him amused, but now only live 2 miles away so thats pretty much redundant, as for size I'm pretty sure they are all the same, there is a small gap at the bottom of mine which annoys the hell out of me

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrodave View Post
    crazySX... see my thread on what I made. Ive just bought a double din head unit on ebay, details at the end of the thread, should arrive today and i'll try fit it over the weekend.
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=343480
    Hey Mate, That is a flocking superb thread you got going there Good work Dave

On a serious note, i am bit worried about the finish on mine, will take alot of flatting back and layers of paint. i may give it a thin skim of filler or maybe stopper.. i will see...

Mine however is only a din panel, so not as prominant as your panel.

That DVD/CD player looks awesome for the money.. you will defo have to let us know how it performs. i am doubtful that the sound quality will be better than my Alpine 9855r though. It would also mean i would have to remount my boost gauge and EVC all over again

Rides
    OK Guys,

Yesterday was a long day for me, lots of hard work, tweeking, and messing about. Two things i learned were.

1. Always use a measure tape and a pencil
    2. Take your centre console out of the car, it makes life SO MUCH easier!!!

I hope you guys are ready for some pictures... i may have gone a bit overkill but every picture has a story

Here goes... So yesterday I get down to my mates garage at about 11am ready to do some work. I cut a 52mm hole in the panel with a hole saw and then a hole to accomodate the EVC.

Then checked the gauge fits (I used Vac gauge for this which i had lying around, came in to use after about 10 years of ownership )

Then i checked the EVC hole but it was too small After some fettling with some 80 grit

Now that the gear fits the holes, time to sort out the finish on the actual panel, did this using a flat plane type tool, it was borrowed from a mate. Don't know the name for it, but it is awesome. Takes a long strip of sand paper, but the sand paper is perforated so doesn't clog up

The Edges were a bit rough and I knew the whole panel was a bit over sized.. so some knuckle scrape later...

Now that I had a nice squared up piece i thought i would offer it up in the car. It was at this point that i realised that i should pulled the centre console panel out of the car.

Rides
    As can be seen from the previous pic, the panel fits, but in the same way as the stereo, a little countersunk, the gauge wouldn't fit as there was a bit of the plastic panel in the way At first i was lost for what to do. Then i thought that if I could get my new panel to extrude a little to come up flush with the original centre console then we would be in business. So i tried to lay some fibre glass in top leaving a lip. It didnt work so a big lump of p40 in the bin and on to plan B. I realised there was enough meat on my panel to cut a lip out on the edges. So after some careful hacksawing...

With the edges removed the new panel fitted nice and flush with the face of the panel, so next step.. to make some mounting points, using the oroginal screw holes

So with the mounting points sorted, lets see how it fits...

Now I knew it fits pretty well, i was in a dilemma about the finish. I wanted it to be original as poss. I was planning to go over it with filler, then fine grade paper, then primer, then some 1200, then more primer, then rub down again (until the finish is nice) then paint with satin matt black. But then my mate suggested he had some leather laying around that i could use. I was a bit dubious at first because of the shape and the size of the din panel. I was worried that the leather might be intrusive and make the panel too big again. But in the end, it was the quicker option, so i took it. oh and the finish on the leather was real nice too!

Rides
    I thought i'd better drill out the mounting holes at this point..

Then trial fit the gauge and EVC again, the EVC was a bit more of a snug fit this time round

Now that I was happy with the fit, i had to make some sort of retainer for the EVC so it doesn't fall through the hole
    Some alloy strip bent into shape and a couple of screws later...

Ok so its time to check the stereo still fits in its hole. It was a very very tight fit. I don't think with all the wires attached and in the car, it would have went in the hole!!
    So its nearly Midnight now, and everything fits and is secure. So time to see how it looks in the car

Excuse the poor pic quality, they are all taken on a nokia n95, and it is 1230am
    Last edited by CrazySx; 06-04-2008 at 15:30.

Rides
    Thought i would put the ashtray back in this morning and take some more snaps

Overall, It took alot longer than it should hav, because of mis measurement and weather

Minimal blood drawn, knuckle sanded..

Not to mention stinky fibreglass bridging compound!

But in the end i am very pleased with the result, a nice factory finish

I hope i didn't bore you guys and maybe you found all this interesting. To think of the end result, you wouldnt think it would take THIS much work.

I now appreciate what people like 'Petrol' Pete go through and stopping to take pics, with filthy hands isn't ideal either. The things we do for the love of SXOC hey

I think i will upgrade the boost gauge soon tho, an electronic ebay one me thinks!
    Last edited by CrazySx; 06-04-2008 at 15:45.

Rides
    That looks pretty damn good !

Good skills, well done

Rides
    has anyone ever done a 3 pod gauge layout on top of the dash like the scooby sti coupes or the new focus ST?

Rides
    Put Mine in the dash

Rides
    like that ^

Rides
    Very tidy install CrazySX. Looks almost stock!

Cartas, yours is very nice too, if slightly impractical

Rides
    Some really good stuff here

Might aswell throw mine up

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=272370