Thread: Guide to importing a car from Japan

Rides

Guide to importing a car from Japan

I recently imported a 1994 180SX from auction in Japan. When I began the process, I couldn't find anywhere with a comprehensive overall guide, explaining the whole process from start to end. Now I've got the car on the road, I thought I'd write one, to give an idea what is involved, and hopefully help anyone doing it to avoid unecessary delays and frustration.

Parties involved:
    ---------------
    * Auction house: Produces report sheets and grades vehicles.
    * Exporter in Japan: Publishes report sheets on web. Provides customers with estimated guide prices, and assists with explanation of auction report sheets.
    Accepts bids from customers, inspects vehicles at auction, and if in satisfactory condition, bids up to the customer's maximum bid. where successful, purchases car and arranges for it to be shipped to the UK.
    * Customs agent: Pays customs charges and bills customer. Arranges clearance from port. Advises customer on when and where to collect their car
    * Shipping company: Transports car from port in Japan to port in UK. Collects shipping cost from customer (as bankers draft) when they collect their car from the UK port.
    * HMRC (Customs): Charges just under 30% of shipped cost of the car as import tax and VAT. Issues form 386 to customer to show that tax has been paid.
    * Garage: Tests car and produces MOT pass certificate
    * DVLA: Provides registration application form V55. On receipt of all required documents showing car has been legally imported from Japan, taxes paid, and MOT'd, issues registration certificate. Charges £50 plus the cost of first year road tax (£180) for this.

Timeline:
    ---------
    01-Oct Send deposit
    05-Oct Deposit received, start browsing
    11-Oct Place first bid at mid-point of estimated range. Does not reach reserve.
    15-Oct Place two more bids, one at top of estimated range.
    16-Oct One car was rusty, so the agent did not bid. The other car was won, at £100 above my bid.
    16-Oct Send balance of payment
    11-Nov Car leaves Japan on ship, bound for Southampton
    26-Dec Ship arrives in Southampton. Port is closed for Christmas.
    27-Dec Ring around and arrange insurance.
    28-Dec I arrive in Southampton by train, and leave in my new car.
    Buy new battery. Wire up rear foglight
    Order form V55 from DVLA website (needed to apply to register car)
    23-Jan Car passes MOT with no issues.
    25-Jan Send V55 & registration documents to DVLA
    30-Jan Receive rejection from DVLA. Require Japanese de-reg form, Customs 386 tax receipt, and proof of speedo conversion to MPH
    31-Jan Ask exporter and customs agent about missing documents
    06-Feb Receive de-registration form from customs agent, who had filed it by mistake
    11-Feb Receive customs form 386 from HMRC
    Buy speedo converter from eBay
    12-Feb Send documents to DVLA again, together with receipt for speedo converter
    18-Feb Receive Registration Certificate from DVLA. Obtain numberplates from Halfords. Take car out for a drive with girlfriend.
    28-Feb Receive V5 from DVLA.

Total time taken: 4 months, 18 days.

I lost 18 days due to the document issue, which I could have saved had I known at the start which documents I required for registration.
    I spent 26 days getting the car ready for MOT, because I wanted to do it myself, was doing it in my spare time, and am no expert. If you arranged in advance to take the car straight from the port to a garage to prepare and MOT it, you could probably avoid most of this delay.

Thus the 'best case' time is about three months, with the major time-consuming activities being:
    2 weeks - sending deposit and choosing car
    4 weeks - car getting to port and waiting for ship
    6 weeks - shipping
    1 week - registration with DVLA
    =========
    13 weeks

Costs:
    ------
    £60 international bank transfer fees (£30 each for deposit and balance)
    £3,000 car (includes exporter commission)
    £400 shipping
    £1,000 import tax
    £75 Customs agent fee
    £50 Mot
    £20 speedo converter
    £230 Registration and road tax
    £25 number plates
    ==================================
    £4,860 Total On The Road car cost

Note that this does not include Insurance, new battery, new tyres, foglight switch, tools to wire up the above, the metal steering bush and fitting, train to Southampton and petrol back, postage to DVLA, the endless modifications that I will undoubtedly embark upon as an SXOC member, or the unlimited speeding fines that I will probably rack up as a result.

Notes:
    ------
    1) It's worth googling your chosen exporter and customs agent before committing any funds, to become aware of any other customers who have had previous good or bad experiences. Choosing large, established companies obviously reduces your risk.
    2) The auction reports consist of an overall grade, interior and exterior grades, a diagram showing the location of any bodywork imperfections, and miscellaneous notes describing the overall condition of the car and any modifications. You will also receive two low resolution photographs. All of the above is in a nearly incomprehensible form of abbreviated trade Japanese. Fortunately there are guides online to help you, and your exporter should be able to assist; however, if you know a little Japanese, this will be an advantage.
    3) You can request form V55 from the DVLA website as soon as you have bought your car. The sooner you get it, the more chance you have of avoiding delays. You should receive the Japanese de-registration form from your exporter once the car is shipped. You should receive the customs form 386 within 1-4 weeks of the car clearing customs (around the landing date).
    4) Cars over 10 years old can be registered after passing an MOT. You should only need to fit a rear foglight for this, although you will need to fix any roadworthyness issues, obviously, and the DVLA may require you to show you have converted your speedometer to miles per hour before you can register it.
    5) The whole process is a bit time-consuming, but is not really difficult, and you can do it without taking time off work. My shipping line would hold the car on arrival for up to five days without charging, so you would always be able to wait and go down on a weekend. You can do the registration by post, albeit at the cost of a few days' extra wait. If you know what you're doing, it should be fairly straightforward.

Result:
    -------
    I now have a low-mileage (about 35k) grade 4 S13, with a very clean chassis and interior, and an original-fitment SR20DET motor. However, I have paid the equivalent of £4750 for a stock, fourteen year old car, and it still probably needs a few more rubber bits replacing.

If you want the best possible S13, you probably want to import one. However, with a bit of patience you could find a not-bad UK car for half that, and have money left for fixing-up and modifying. Or you could find a good S14 for the same or less money, which would also have an SR20 and probably be pretty solid.

PS: I went with Autospecs (aka JapaneseUsedCars.com) as my exporter, and Kleerfreight (aka Rob) as my Customs agent. Both were communicative, helpful and professional, and I would recomment both without hesitation.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have about importing; equally, if anyone has any corrections or further information to add, that would be cool. I've only covered one possible method of importing (from auction), there are others, but I can't really comment. The above is entirely based on my own experience importing a single car; other people may have had different experiences.

Auction Report Sheet:
    ---------------------

Rides
    nice write up so its probs cost you about £5200 otr with all associated costs and your time and effort.

now enter my world and people only wanna pay 5k to import them similar cars and get warranty and want no faults and as many mods as possible for 5k lol and yer OTR..

Rides
    hi, how did you get it MOTed before you got the number plates?? i cant find the MOT centre that would say yeah we can do it!!? (
    Last edited by skinnylatte; 22-02-2015 at 15:18.

Rides
    Holy thread bump Batman. It's a nearly 7yr old thread!

GDUK JAP PARTS
    Rides
    You just get it tested on the chassis number, the MOT station shouldn't have a problem doing that for you.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Re bumping this thread as its useful and I need something cleared up...

I'm happy with the process from buying the car and getting it on a boat in Japan and I'm happy with the process of getting the car registered in the UK.

The area in the middle, ie clearing customers, paying relevant fees etc is a little foggy.... anyone got any insight on how thats done. I'm considering bringing a car in myself as I'd like to give it a go, plus the car itself is cheap (like £1000 in japan cheap) and I don't fancy coughing up £500-750 on top for someone else to do the work.

Rides
    It'll be shipping of around $1200, transport to the docks in Japan. Then duty of 10% on the total of transport and buying price. Then VAT on top of the new total. Also about £150-200 of fees in the docks in the UK.

You also then need to get the car transported to you, or pick it up on a trailer.

Rides
    Will your car be coming to Newcastle?
    If it is then I'll put up some helpfull info later today.
    Last edited by immy21; 06-08-2015 at 13:19.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    It'll be shipping of around $1200, transport to the docks in Japan. Then duty of 10% on the total of transport and buying price. Then VAT on top of the new total. Also about £150-200 of fees in the docks in the UK.

You also then need to get the car transported to you, or pick it up on a trailer.
    Ben, you've miss read my post. I know about everything until it lands in the UK and then getting it registered. I know I have to pay VAT/Duty and I know the numbers/percentages. The query I have is how it clears customs, I've heard people using agents and but I can't find clear details on what this means. I keep hearing a company called Kleerfreight being mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    Will your car be coming to Newcastle?
    If yeah then I'm put up some helpfull info later today.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk
    Don't know if I can bring it to Newcastle, if I can, I will. Nothing has been ordered yet, just wanting to get all my ducks in a row before pulling the trigger.

Rides
    The company who does the shipping usually will hand you a bill for shipping, and the VAT / Duty + all fees.

Rides
    Even the clearing etc? Looking at some of the details from DW I thought they would get it hear, provide the paperwork and then you have to get it out of customs.

Rides
    Kleerfreight don't do Newcastle.

N.S.A deal with clearing cars at Newcastle port.
    You can use outside agencies but they have to go through N.S.A so you might as well deal with them directly.

A couple weeks before your car is due to arrive at Newcastle, N.S.A should send you a letter with C384 (tax doc) which you need to fill and return with some documents. Documents are: signed (by yourself) Original Bill of Lading, photocopy of your invoice, Photocopy of de-registration certificate (English translation), and filled in C384.

They send you a bill which is made up for VAT, Duty, Terminal Handling (£75), Customs clearance (£50).

Once all paid and sorted you phone N.S.A and book a time to collect your car.

They aren't that easy to find VIA Google if you don't know who N.S.A. are and no one tells you or mentions them until your car is about to arrive which can be particularly concerning if you don't have a clue of what your supposed to do.

N.S.A.
    Last edited by immy21; 06-08-2015 at 16:10.

Rides
    Thanks Immy What company have you used to bring your car over Immy?
    Last edited by Rubix_Cube; 07-08-2015 at 09:11.

Rides
    quick question: how did you drive the car from the port without number plates? is it possible to drive from the port to the MOT centre without plates? cant get plates without registering, can't register without MOT.
    if you can would it be possible to drive it from Southampton to the midlands without plates? thanks

Rides
    I would call the DVLA for clarification.

They should be able you to tell you exactly this.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    Thanks Immy What company have you used to bring your car over Immy?
    Sorry missed this, Japanese used cars .com

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by acoyne View Post
    quick question: how did you drive the car from the port without number plates? is it possible to drive from the port to the MOT centre without plates? cant get plates without registering, can't register without MOT.
    if you can would it be possible to drive it from Southampton to the midlands without plates? thanks
    Once insured on chassis number you can drive to a prebooked mot, the distance isn't really stated so take your chance or trailer it.
    My s15 got trailed, lil Bros teg dc2 got driven, Newcastle to Edinburgh.