Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black bits in paint

Rides
    If you can dig it out with your nail, how does it feel? Metal grindings will feel like little splinters, tar (even very old tar) will still feel softish once its off (pretty obvious I guess, but worth mentioning!). If its old tar, it may well need a soaking for a few mins to soften it enough for the solvent to remove it. I'd say a clay bar and then a mop will shift it, but as Mr OCD says, it is a pretty aggressive way to clean the paint.

Rides
    I used a clay bar today, and it got rid of 80% of the crap, but there are still some bits left i can't get out with it, i'm guessing they have attacked the body work, i did try taking some pictures but i couldn't focus on them.

Do you think i should try and different clay bar, harder one ?

Rides
    Yeah it sounds like its definatly tar. As Mr OCD has said, use some Sonus grey clay. That stuff will remove 99.9% of tar no problem. Use PLENTY of lube and finish off with a medium to fine polish.

Rides
    Yeah i noticed it slighty scrached the body work, i was going to give it a dam good polish after, but with teh clay bar i've got, its taking ages to actualy pick it up out of the paint.

clarkey.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by superclarkey View Post
    Yeah i noticed it slighty scrached the body work, i was going to give it a dam good polish after, but with teh clay bar i've got, its taking ages to actualy pick it up out of the paint.

clarkey.
    Thats because its a very mild bar....

Rides
    Were is the best place to get the clay bar that you recommend.

I'm guessing the process is, clay bar, polish then wax.

THe car has to go in for a little paint work, so i may wait to do the clay baring until i get it back.

clarkey.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by superclarkey View Post
    Were is the best place to get the clay bar that you recommend.

I'm guessing the process is, clay bar, polish then wax.

THe car has to go in for a little paint work, so i may wait to do the clay baring until i get it back.

clarkey.
    www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Spot on

Rides
    i would have used g10 - it works well without being nearly as aggressive as g3. lots of water + g10.

but then i know my car has been re-sprayed with a good layer of paint..

you may have even found something like panel wipe + a good rub would have taken a lot of it off - i found that when i got overspray from 3m bagsealer on my car.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Thanx for the link and info guys

As you can see from my sig, the paint is not that shit anyways lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr OCD View Post
    Beat me to it

Tim @ cleanyourcar is a top bloke and will sort you.

Rides
    I really shouldn't look at that site, i will waste alot of moneys lol

Rides
    I would point out that Farecel (G3 I think) and a machine polish completlely removed the brake fallout that I got when my brake pad fell off. It was severe. On the back I used a clay bar and that removed the majority and felt super smooth afterwards as well. I would point out that sometimes if it is fallout or 'stuck' on the paintwork it may actually remove some of the paint, so just be careful.

Machine polishing should be the LAST option realistically as you can't go back from that. If you do end up polishing make sure you wax asap to seal the paint, else it will fade. (Tips from GarySX).

Good luck.

Matthew

Rides
    could these black dots be dried in oil when my s13 had an oil leak it left loads of black dots that were stubborn to shift

Rides
    being a nissan... could well be an oil leak lol

Rides
    Bloody hell Clarkey, you back in an S13?

If you can't get rid of the spots, bring it round to mine sometime - I have a plethora of clays, solvents, polishes and waxes... Something'll shift 'em

Rides
    good man, i will personaly deliver your wasted spark kit at the same time lol

Rides
    Hahaha, after how long?

You can fit it while I'm polishing

Rides
    ha, you failed to collect them lol

Rides
    I bought a Sealy polisher yesterday with a cutting mop and a polishing mop, also got some G3 cutting and G10 polishing paste.

I set to work on the car and after giving the panels a clay bar i gave them a good G3, i quickly noticed how quick it acutaly eats through the top layer, so i used lots and lots of water and kept the mop moving on the slowest speed, when i finished i dryed the car off and noticed it left marks, like holograms, so i went at it with the G10 polish and just kept going just upto the point the marks lifted, the finish is crazy its like perfect glass on white, i'm guessing i'm doing something wrong to mark the paint with the G3, but it does remove all the crap from the layer of the paint that the clay bar couldn't.

here is a quick picture of the black bits in the paint i was talking about.

Got any tips on how to use the mop, like time spent on polishing ? how much pressure can i apply saftly with the polishing mop and what speed ?

Thanx.

Rides
    They look like grinding fall-out to me. Mopping it wont remove them, it'll just get rid of the rust staining until it gets wet again. If it is fall-out, a clay bar should get most (but maybe not all) of it out, but It can be very difficult to remove, if thats what it is.