Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: most powerful S14/s14a's in the UK?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Big G View Post
    I think a lot of things have changed to be honest actually. the tuning world has come on leaps and bounds in terms of quality and availability of parts, mapping and reliablility across the board, theres been a lot of blown engines along the way but this is in the end how we as learn and progress.

Cars have always had the ability to make big numbers, I mean internal combustion is hardly rocket science and flow efficiency and characteristics isn't out of the range of peoples intellect, the thing I've seen is bigger figures being made down low in both torque and hp unlike the old cossies where you waited right till almost the point of engine limits just to spool that emense turbo for big figures again this comes down progression in mapping technology and control amonst others (also turbo's but that's a different subject), look at the difference between the power FC ignition/fuel map and its points of adjustment against the clarity and fine point adjustment, if somewhat OTT, of the new HKS standalone or the simply the rev correction! They are awesome bits of kit

I think its been said before that reaching 500 isn't that hard and in truth its not, however, getting there and getting there to stay are two very different things.
    For instance there was a Civic Type R put on a dyno in Japan and wired with some of the biggest Nitrous jets known to man then just run up. It apparently made 1200hp before the engine let go and blew itself to pieces, reiterating again that engines can take excess power but won't last

I think as I said reliability alongside mapping by far though are the biggest learnt abilities within the tuning world these days, anyone can strap a turbo on for power but making sure that power stays is something else.

Well done on the 416 though tis v.good
    I totally agree with what you're saying with regards to availability of parts and resources, the comments above were really just a sly dig at Bladey and his 'low' wheel hp figure

Rides
    Oh yes it has

All painted up now too, transmission came back a while ago so that and the engine are in. is looking sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Again bit top secret so not going to tell you whats inside

Needless to say it's going to be a monster!

Thanks for the input Big G, very interesting.

Forgive me, but do you work/own GBH?

Regards,

Rides
    Oh yes it has

All painted up now too, transmission came back a while ago so that and the engine are in. is looking sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Ill just pop doen and see for myself then!

I saw Bob a coupel of weeks back and he asked when I was comign to give my thoughts on it
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    No I don't own GBH!!!! LOL though if geoff and bob offered I wouldn't refuse

Deffo worth poping up for a look and a coffee, its back from carls so looking so nice!

Rides
    Availability of parts and resourses have clearly improved greatly over the years, it would be way easier cheaper to build a powerfull s14 now than 6 years ago.

but Im surprised a few of you knowledgeable dudes haveou already pointed out,
    basic principles of physics and airflow do not change,
    and how you could get a t28 size turbo to flow 500bhp, without hitting major backpressure issues?!!!
    (or what is it exactly that we are supposed to be calling a t28 in this instance?)

nice new high res standalone ECU's can make mapping Easier, more flexible, smother running, extra options etc,
    but they cant really do that much to give you more out and out power beyond what the physical hardware of your turbo and engine is setup/built to produce in
    terms of their airflow properties, maximum revability, temperatures being reached, det points.. and such like.

there always seems to have been a 'hocus pocus' factor around when people speak vaugely about 'modern' secret new methods,
    especially in jap (read super high tech) tunning, from what Ive seen over the years.
    Last edited by Colin Gibson; 20-02-2008 at 16:36.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Gibson View Post
    Availability of parts and resourses have clearly improved greatly over the years, it would be way easier cheaper to build a powerfull s14 now than 6 years ago.

but Im surprised a few of you knowledgeable dudes haveou already pointed out,
    basic principles of physics and airflow do not change,
    and how you could get a t28 size turbo to flow 500bhp, without hitting major backpressure issues?!!!
    (or what is it exactly that we are supposed to be calling a t28 in this instance?)

nice new high res standalone ECU's can make mapping Easier, more flexible, smother running, extra options etc,
    but they cant really do that much to give you more out and out power beyond what the physical hardware of your turbo and engine is setup/built to produce in
    terms of their airflow properties, maximum revability, temperatures being reached, det points.. and such like.

there always seems to have been a 'hocus pocus' factor around when people speak vaugely about 'modern' secret new methods,
    especially in jap (read super high tech) tunning, from what Ive seen over the years.
    by t28 derivative it is t28 flanged and cored around that could be literally anything
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    by t28 derivative it is t28 flanged and cored around that could be literally anything
    Yeah so some super duper custom turbo that none of us could probably spec or buy.

You talk sence as always Colin.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Squares View Post
    Yeah so some super duper custom turbo that none of us could probably spec or buy.

You talk sence as always Colin.
    i think what ben means is for example a gt2871r is a t28 derivative and so on

although by my understanding i thought it was technically a t2 derivative due to the flange types in the same way you get t2 derivatives ( gt3040 etc etc )

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    i think what ben means is for example a gt2871r is a t28 derivative and so on

although by my understanding i thought it was technically a t2 derivative due to the flange types in the same way you get t2 derivatives ( gt3040 etc etc )
    Yeah I think your right mate, but my point was even a fool like me could, and does, have a 2871R, but it sounds like this was some tubby specc'd by HKS or some-such, I may of course be wildly wrong.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Squares View Post
    Yeah I think your right mate, but my point was even a fool like me could, and does, have a 2871R, but it sounds like this was some tubby specc'd by HKS or some-such, I may of course be wildly wrong.
    you can get a reasonably priced custom specced turbo with garrett internal from Owen developments and it will be built to you're own aims and desired output so it can be done

they can even hold decent boost all the way to the redline too

Rides
    Oh yes it has

Pics please

Rides
    Been away a while and just looking through my old posts and found this ,
    Just curious how things have changed in the last 13 years 👀

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Modern turbos make it a lot easier to hit 500+ it’s the fragile gearbox that’s stopped me from upgrading.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Not a great deal has changed then , least it seems alternative gearbox’s are more available now for cheaper

Rides
    Hello Dan, long time no speak.

Alternative gearboxes I'd argue have gotten more expensive. Hard to find Skyline or 350Z conversions for less than £1500/£1600 these days.

People seem to have forgotten about Giken gearsets which aren't far off the cost of a conversion and, IMO, a much neater solution.

But people have also stopped chasing big power IMO.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Hello Dan, long time no speak.

Alternative gearboxes I'd argue have gotten more expensive. Hard to find Skyline or 350Z conversions for less than £1500/£1600 these days.

People seem to have forgotten about Giken gearsets which aren't far off the cost of a conversion and, IMO, a much neater solution.

But people have also stopped chasing big power IMO.
    Agree about people not chasing power so much anymore. Think that’s largely due to modern cars being so fast a lot of the time. Lots of cars with minimal mods which are quicker than my sx.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Bigtone is still building Project Phoenix, that will prob be the biggest power CA in the country. Some of the drift boys were running 500hp+ SR20s (Baggsy and Polo both were), dont know if theres anyone with 600+ on the road these days though?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go