Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: George & Annalie's S13

Rides
    Right, on a complete tangent I thought I would tell you briefly about our little powder coating business.

As always Annalie as always was behind me 100%, why can't she discourage me more.

Anyway, this is my latest hair brained scheme. I had never powder coated anything before in my life, but I read a couple of books and it didn't look that hard to work out, so I applied for a grant from the local enterprise scheme and got it!

Noone else was doing it up here so I had an entirely new market to myself.

But huge ovens and booths and so on are expensive so I made everything myself. Annalie ran away the first time I fired up the oven, it sounds like some kind of prehistoric beast when the main burner kicks in!

Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea:

Our workshop is a bit ramshackle but it keeps the rain off and it's cheap!

This is my booth and my oven, the oven is a serious piece of kit and I'm terrified of it. I have nightmares about the door shutting behind me!

And lets face it, the reason anybody starts a business. Somewhere dry with lots of tools to work on the car

And this is a photo of the first set of shadow chrome wheels I ever did. I used to take pictures of nearly everything I coated back when we first started!

Anyway, enough of that nonsense and back to the project.

Rides
    Now on with the bodywork.

I'd never attempted anything like this before, so armed with the duct tape I stuck the arches on to where they had to go, and using the reflection of one of the strip lights I lined them up with the swage lines. Now you may notice the car is a bit dusty now, but it is sitting in the corner next to the extraction unit for the shot blast room so it's not surprising.

Right I think that looks OK, lets get the grinder out!
    I cut through the 'new' arch and the existing arch at the same time using a 1mm cutting disc while everything was taped in place, and ended up with this:

But that wheel tub was far too small now to get anywhere near the arch, so I had to make a new one, a cardboard template was made first:

Rides
    You sir, are far too talented. Awesome project.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Django67 View Post
    i agree mate, best of luck with the new business, the wife and babies

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Django67 View Post
    I also have a talent for making a complete tits of things. It comes with the territory when you have an 'experimental' disposition

Having got the wheel tub more or less the right shape, I made a metal one:

Now I was faced with a bit of a problem, I had to get the wheel tub to meet the lip of the new arch so I could seam weld the two together. To do this I cut the edge into strips and bent them into the right shape before welding them together:

I then simply welded the new arch in position and fitted a piece of stainless roundbar to the lip to stop it from having a sharp edge:

I got the arches to this stage, and then got sidetracked by the engine again:

Rides
    mega cool buddy
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    That looks brilliant Loving those arches!

Something of an R34 GTR about it.

Rides
    I had some old aluminium fuel pipes lying about that I got out of an oil tanker I was cutting up. They just happened to be a perfect size for the intercooler pipework so they got welded into the right shape and slapped on:

By this stage I was looking at hooking up water and oil feeds to the new turbo, but doing this in the engine bay was going to mean skinned knuckles, so out came the engine and gearbox for a bit of a makeover.

The engine got the sump and all the little hoses and brackets and stuff powder coated:

I even did the cam belt covers and stuff, but I couldn't be bothered to do the cam covers

Rides
    can i come and work with you
    maybe some of your inspirational genius will rub off on me

Rides
    Over the next few days I powder coated nearly everything that could be removed from the car. I just waited till a customer asked for a colour I wanted, then did my stuff at the same time.

I coated my new intake pipes black, because I thought it would look more standard:

I also fitted a recirculating dump valve to save on stresses to the turbine blades:

This was the engine finished except for the heat wrap on the manifold (wear gloves):

My new induction pipework didn't allow for the fitment of the breathers into the inlet, so I made a catch tank. This was the prototype, my latest design is a bit more svelte, it has one way valves from brake servos and a surgical mask as key components:

Rides
    fantastic project

notest the manifold is not wraped any more? what have you coated it in?

thanks
    damo

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by damo_s13 View Post
    fantastic project

notest the manifold is not wraped any more? what have you coated it in?

thanks
    damo
    if you read the post above he mentions it isnt wrapped in a way that suggests it is now
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    doh

Ahh missed it

Rides
    cool project mate wish i had ure skills or ure wifes lol im about to change my rear subframe and im finding it a bit daunting . good luck with the rest mate thanxs paul

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxslide View Post
    cool project mate wish i had ure skills or ure wifes lol im about to change my rear subframe and im finding it a bit daunting . good luck with the rest mate thanxs paul
    Thanks Man,

Just get a trolley jack under the diff, then once you've got all the nuts and bolts off you can just lower it down and wheel it out. If you lower it down slowly you can check that you don't have anything still attached!

But it is better if you can get your wife to do it, especially in this weather.

Have fun

Rides
    Nice work George, can I come rabbiting with your mates ? it sounds like great fun !

You were asking about the connectors taped together on the inside of the passenger wing ? were they cylindrical ? not sure if you ever got an answer, but one of them is a rev counter diagnostic lead think its yellow with red stripe, I used this for my rev counter...and I cant remember what the other is for...

Rides
    i wish i could get my wife to do stuff like that ie getting dirty. hell, my wife does not even like the 200. she likes the comfort of here 97 A3 1.8T. she wishes she had my speed though and i am not going to give her that till her turbo goes.

Rides
    You are Lord of the DIY! And you have a wife thats into working on cars!

How I envy you so!!

Awesome read so far mate, keep it up!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers_S13 View Post
    Nice work George, can I come rabbiting with your mates ? it sounds like great fun !
    It was a good laugh. The 305 had what we coined an 'active chassis' after the roof had been cut off. There's more pics of it in action and loaded up with shooters, but I couldn't find them the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers_S13 View Post
    You were asking about the connectors taped together on the inside of the passenger wing ? were they cylindrical ? not sure if you ever got an answer, but one of them is a rev counter diagnostic lead think its yellow with red stripe, I used this for my rev counter...and I cant remember what the other is for...
    Thanks for that, they're gone now anyway, as have all the diagnostic connectors

Now where was I?

As I said, anything that could be removed from the car got powder coated, I'll get some better pics of all the bits at some point:

Then I hit a bit of a brick wall, In order to finish the arches I needed the engine in so I could see what height the car sat at, but I was waiting for my new clutch to arrive from Japan (surface shipping). I posted up asking what else I could do while I waited and as I had already removed the ABS loom, someone suggested I move the fuse boxes out of the engine bay and under the dash.

So I ended up with less wires in here:

And these are the plugs you mentioned:

And a few more wires in here

I'm a bit further on with it now but I don't have any new photos, so I now have even less wiring in the bay now.

Rides
    I phoned today to find out where my clutch was and I found out it had been sitting in Aberdeen since the 20th of December waiting for Tax to be payed.

So with a bit of luck I'll see it in a couple of days and I can get the engine back in.

We're back in business!