Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: George & Annalie's S13

Rides
    Managed to suss it out George?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    Managed to suss it out George?
    It was just no fuel in the thing. Everytime you accelerated the fuel must have flowed away from the pick up to the back of the tank.

I put 25 litres in it out of a gerry can and it just made it out of the red.

It goes good now though, I'm going to get it insured and take it over to my house to finish off a few odds and ends before the MOT.

I think the turbo works really well with the CA though, once I get the boost controller set up properly again and I'm not just going on the stock actuator pressure it should fly.

Rides
    George - I've just found this thread and sat here from the very first page!

Wow.. simply wow! What a job mate.

HATS OFF TO YOU (and your missus for getting in there too)

Wish my other half would get dirty on the ol' SX hahaha

Rides
    ^^ Same here! Thats a very impresseve build you've done there George, well done to you all!

Rides
    Without going through the thread, what turbo are you running George? Mine is a GT28R and even with only 5-7psi it goes pretty well, when I get everything sorted out, it will be at 15-17psi and gosh it will feel like it will fly. I'm surprised how quick the pick-up is actually, as my sr20 with a normal T28 before with an FMIC was slow to boost. If your's is anything like what i've described you'll be really happy

You should fabricate your own fuel swirl pot setup, that way you won't have the issues you mentioned

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    Without going through the thread, what turbo are you running George? Mine is a GT28R and even with only 5-7psi it goes pretty well, when I get everything sorted out, it will be at 15-17psi and gosh it will feel like it will fly. I'm surprised how quick the pick-up is actually, as my sr20 with a normal T28 before with an FMIC was slow to boost. If your's is anything like what i've described you'll be really happy

You should fabricate your own fuel swirl pot setup, that way you won't have the issues you mentioned
    My turbo is a TD05 16G6 10.5T, I'm really pleased with it and even on the CA you're getting around 15psi by the time you get to 3K revs. I've seen the Swedish guys get around 390bhp out of this turbo on the CA so I know what to aim for. The Evo guys get around 400bhp out of them with their 200 extra cc's.

I don't think I'll need the swirl pot, the thing was just running on fumes. When I pulled over to check the problem the engine actually started to die as there was so little fuel in the thing.

Rides
    I'm finally going for an MOT with this thing on Saturday at high noon! I can't see anything obvious that she'll fail on, so fingers crossed.

I'll be doing a pre-MOT check tomorrow night just incase.

Can't wait, it's been long enough from all the graft, so I've started to get some enthusiasm for the car again!

Rides
    Good luck with it,hope it passes!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    Good luck with it,hope it passes!
    FAILED!!

O/S track rod end has excessive play

The alternator wasn't charging, so by the time they came to check the headlight beam settings the lights were so dull that they hardly showed up on the tester.

I've ordered the track rod end and I've got a few alternators lying about so it's not too bad!

I noticed the battery going flat, but I just assumed it was form me starting and stopping the engine the whole time when I was testing things.

Not the end of the World, and I'm actually fairly pleased there wasn't more challenging things like emmisions or something.

Roll on the re-test!

Rides
    this is truly amazing. U should comtact Banzai as I definitely deserves to be in there! what a story! congrats on the family life 2!

Rides
    George, just read this thread (again) and I must say well done to you and the missus

it's one thing being able to do a top job on a car, but quite another doing it while preparing to get married/having a kid/starting up a new business...well done

and I think I'm going to steal you idea for the sills

Rides
    I want one!
    I have been eyeing up those arches since school. About 15 years later I never did find anything to put them on. Now I don't need to.......I'll buy yours

Rides
    PASSED!!

Yay! Passed the MOT today with no advisories!

We're legal now, I'm just going to get tax tomorrow and we're off.

It's taken long enough but we've finally made it.

Rides
    I don't think you ever get advisories if you fail and have a retest, but good effort none the less.

Rides
    you had the engine dyno'd with the tubby yet? any graphs or figures and thoughts?

Rides
    Thoughts are all I have at the moment. After a month of abuse the oil pressure started doing funny things, which I attributed to my new turbo set up and the possibility of there being no restrictor in the turbo oil feed pipe (on closer inspection there was one).

It wasn't until the oil pump died completely taking out two big end shells that the real cause was found. I was just driving along in a spirited fashion when I spotted the oil pressure sitting at zero on the gauge. I stopped immediately but the shells had already welded themselves to the crank. I tried to bodge it together for the remainder of the summer as I didn't have time to swap everything accross onto my spare engine, but one of the shells is tight owing to the metal deposited on the big end of the con rod and I can't get to it properly without taking the engine completely to bits.

On the plus side, everything about the turbo conversion works like an absolute dream. A 400bhp turbo which is spooling by 2K and hits full boost (17psi) by 3.2K and holds it all the way to the red line. The power delivery is so smooth you forget you've got a turbo and the car is really easy to drive hard as a result, as well as launches having no wheel spin.

The car handles unbelievably well now too, which I think must be due to the chassis stiffness, there is no flex at all.

I'm relly chuffed with the project so far, although I do now wish I'd changed the oil pump before it gave up.

It will be back on the road for next year, but a new baby on the way, and an extension to build are priority for the moment.

Rides
    Hi mate im new to the site and would just like to say wow i gota hand it to you as what a story to start with. I read every word from page to page it had it ups and it downs. Just proves what some one can do if they put in lots of hard work and love. Hope my s13looks as good as yours when its done only been building her for the last 3 months lol. Bad luck about the oil pump mate its always a sad moment when a ca dies. Well keep up the hard work and carry on posting up as i know il be coming back to read more.

Rides
    sucks to hear about the oil pump. I post way back and just got back to looking at this thread again. Dude, your car looks money. That is really amazing. The color of the paint is sweet. wish i had the same skills.

Rides
    just seen this and it looks the muts nuts mate good work love the car and the missis wish mine would help abit more

Rides
    I've been looking at the cost of rebuilding the bottom end properly i.e. new oil pump, waterpump, bearings, gaskets etc. and it looks like it will be around £300 between the things I have to buy and the things I have lying about. So I'm either going to rebuild the engine myself, or find a short engine that has been recently been rebuilt for sale, whichever works out cheaper.

I kind of like the idea of building it myself though, just for the hobby aspect of it.