Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when a gearbox goes bang

Rides
    take a spare gearbox with you

Rides
    ARSE, now i wish i got a smaller turbo. Does anyone have any other suggestions what to do with a 2871 to prolong the life of my box other then travelling around europe with a gearbox in my boot Fook that for a game of soldiers.

Is a 2871 an overkill for CA gearboxes. Maybe i'll get something smaller and bang it in before i go. What a waste of money, i knew i should have stopped with an air filter

Rides
    whats wrong with running it at a lower boost and peg it at say 300 BHP?? will still be good fun around the ring.

We all should have stopped at an air filter really

Rides
    just go easy on your gearbox. smooth shifts. dont go trying to set any records.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    whats wrong with running it at a lower boost and peg it at say 300 BHP?? will still be good fun around the ring.

We all should have stopped at an air filter really
    I suggested that earlier but was told boost doesn't kill boxes, torque does. But as i said wouldn't reducing boost reduce torque.

But other then just going to the ring, for every other day i use my car its not going to be much fun with a 2871 @ .9 bar boost. Does a 2871 produce to much torque @ 17 psi for a CA gearbox to last long?

Was it a bad option to go for at the end of the day if i have to peg it down to 300 so my gearbox has less chance of going bang?

Last edited by lsd; 10-01-2008 at 21:27.

Rides
    yea probaly, but like most gearboxes doubling the amount of power/Torque they were designed for then thrashing them round a race track is going to end in tears.

Rides
    Aye, remeber at 300 they are working at not far off double what they work speced for. And at the power they seem fairly relyable which in my book is pritty dam good.

If your going for more than 200% that what the transmition was speced for its really time to start looking at putting something stronger in if you want it to work relyably.

Rides
    turning the boost down to 1.2 bar should give around the same power output as a jez stage 3 chip. Is there much people running a stage 3 setup (310 - 330bhp) without having problems with there gearboxes or is this still not in a roaduse safezone.

At this stage im considering putting back in my old 28r but that means getting another remap or should i keep the 2871? At 1 bar (ffs) which turbo will spool better and which would give more power through the rev range, 2871 or 28r?

Rides
    i personally would try and do a skyline box conversion or something allong that lines, i know its not always viable but if your going all that way then surely a litle fabrication would be worth it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lsd View Post
    turning the boost down to 1.2 bar should give around the same power output as a jez stage 3 chip. Is there much people running a stage 3 setup (310 - 330bhp) without having problems with there gearboxes or is this still not in a roaduse safezone.

At this stage im considering putting back in my old 28r but that means getting another remap or should i keep the 2871? At 1 bar (ffs) which turbo will spool better and which would give more power through the rev range, 2871 or 28r?
    i ran 325 bhp for a full season ( 1.2 bar , gt2871r ) and the gearbox itself was one of the few things that didn't break.

yes i busted a bell housing but that's cause i was being a showoff ****er and trying to keep the wheels lit in third while going backwards and spinning out

Rides
    As im looking for torque more then top end power which turbo is best suited within a CA gearbox limits
    Last edited by lsd; 11-01-2008 at 12:47.

Rides
    28r will prolly run out of puff before it endangers the gearbox, have you tried lagging the mani and downpipe to try and get the 2871r spooling abit faster?