Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Warranties - are they worth it?

Rides

Car Warranties - are they worth it?

I've taken the car allowance option with my new job as opposed to company car. Mileage will be ~30,000 per year and I can't be doing with any unforseen repair costs.

I'm willing to pay for a warranty at about £250 per year but i'm worried that there'll be too many loopholes and too much small print they can fall back in if I do need to use it.

What do you guys reckon, is it worth it and will they bend me over if I ever need to claim?

Rides
    Things to watch for are the servicing regulations, and the excess.

For example i've been shafted twice.

1) Because I had the car serviced at a 5300 interval instead of 5000 like I was s'psed to.
    2) £50 Excess that I knew nothing about!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Andynissan View Post
    Things to watch for are the servicing regulations, and the excess.

For example i've been shafted twice.

1) Because I had the car serviced at a 5300 interval instead of 5000 like I was s'psed to.
    2) £50 Excess that I knew nothing about!
    WTF what a pile of shite!!!

Anything else to watch out for?

Rides
    Work out what's covered under 'normal wear and tear'... It'll be most things. They're normally not worth the paper they're printed on due to all the get-outs.. If they were any good, the warranty companies wouldn't make any money!!! It's jsut a way of extracting money from rich women imho...

Your best bet would be to buy a 2-3 year old Hyundai, with the rest of it's 5 (Or 7?) year warranty left, and drive it until it dies.

What car will you be buying it for?

When I had a car allowance, I just ran 2 cars, so I'd always have 1 working! The 200, and a sh*tter, generally £300-600's worth or Rover 800 or something.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (Northampton)
    Rides
    What car is the policy for? As they will generally not cover anything modified

Who is the policy issued/administered by?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JackaL View Post
    Work out what's covered under 'normal wear and tear'... It'll be most things. They're normally not worth the paper they're printed on due to all the get-outs.. If they were any good, the warranty companies wouldn't make any money!!! It's jsut a way of extracting money from rich women imho...

Your best bet would be to buy a 2-3 year old Hyundai, with the rest of it's 5 (Or 7?) year warranty left, and drive it until it dies.

What car will you be buying it for?

When I had a car allowance, I just ran 2 cars, so I'd always have 1 working! The 200, and a sh*tter, generally £300-600's worth or Rover 800 or something.
    I only want to spend a maximum of 3k so a newer Hyundai is out of the question. I'll be driving the car upto 150 miles a day as well and I shouldn't imagine that they're too comfortable!!

I'm very likely to be getting a Mondeo or Focus diesel estate.

Rides
    If its not a manufacture warranty dont bother. Most aint worth the paper they are written on, they will always wiggle out!

Rides
    Stick the £250/year in a high interest account. That way, you have some funds to use if things go wrong - and if they don't, at the end of 3 years you'll have £750 + interest to spend!

As mentioned above, aftermarket warranties are to help traders sell more stock or for fleecing paranoid old ladies out of their dosh, that's all.

Rides
    I wouldn't bother taking out one and if I had to rely on one, I wouldn't be holding my breath

Rides
    as said dont waste your money theyr all shite, im made to sell these with cars and iv never come across a good one yet??

mazda did start giving there 2nd hand cars an extension of the manufacturer warranty but theyv know stopped that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Django67 View Post
    for fleecing paranoid old ladies out of their dosh, that's all.
    And people called Andy

Rides
    i work for a main dealer and we do loads of extended warrenty claims, pretty much everything goes
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    Hmm general consensus seems to be that they're all shite then!

I think i'll try with all my might to put the money in a high interest account and not spend it on something else in that case

Thing I was concerned about was something major going to cock meaning a massive bill which I inevitably would not have the money to sort.

Rides
    if thats your budget you could always lease a car? focus diesel as new could be had with that sort of money, so play with that? that way anything goes wrong you can be assured they replace it!! always a good way to do things! i used to lease a car with my old company, as no point in having the shite cars they would let you have!

Rides
    A warranty is only a guide to what your entitled to.

I wouldn’t bother with one as if something goes wrong you have your statutory rightly which say goods should work for a time fit for purpose.

Ive had TV,s and Playstation 2s replaced 6 months after the warrenty date. If they say no then call your local Trading Standards who will give them a polite nudge

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesx13 View Post
    I only want to spend a maximum of 3k so a newer Hyundai is out of the question. I'll be driving the car upto 150 miles a day as well and I shouldn't imagine that they're too comfortable!!

I'm very likely to be getting a Mondeo or Focus diesel estate.
    pick up a hyundai accent for £600-700. most reliable car ive ever owned. just dont go taking any corners too fast.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    if thats your budget you could always lease a car? focus diesel as new could be had with that sort of money, so play with that? that way anything goes wrong you can be assured they replace it!! always a good way to do things! i used to lease a car with my old company, as no point in having the shite cars they would let you have!
    Nah, i'd rather pay the money and have an asset to sell at the end of it

Rides
    I did know someone who had one of these warrenties, and the driveshaft prematurely worn. Warrenty company wouldnt replace it because it had not actually broke, but when he said that he would carry on driving until it broke, the reply was, under the terms of the warrenty, knowingly driving with a faulty part will invalidate it.

Not worth the paper they're written on tbh.

Rides
    yeah i got a year frere gold cover with the RAC wheni bought my punto

6 months later i found out that my piston rings had gone

rang them and they wouldnt do it becuase it was classed as wear and tear personally i wouldnt ever pay for one again after that as it was a complete joke

there suppsed to cover you so you dont have to pay out and it ended up costing me a fortune when i shouldnt of had to pay

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by endisforever View Post
    yeah i got a year frere gold cover with the RAC wheni bought my punto

6 months later i found out that my piston rings had gone

rang them and they wouldnt do it becuase it was classed as wear and tear personally i wouldnt ever pay for one again after that as it was a complete joke

there suppsed to cover you so you dont have to pay out and it ended up costing me a fortune when i shouldnt of had to pay
    RAC