Thread: listening for detonation

Rides

listening for detonation

what are these "det cans" often mentioned in knock sensor threads ?
    don't reckon most would be doing this to theirs, but this guy claims, "Detonations are heard clear crystal!"

I'm aware of the electronic 'listener' like this
    http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0353/article.html

but....horsham site (I believe it was) used to have details on how to go about making a simple device for 'hearing' detonation. I think is began with something along the lines of, "hammering flat the end of a length of half inch diameter copper tube, bolted to the engine block.... ".
    Anybody saved or is familiar this procedure/method. Can't find it there any longer.

Rides
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=316300

I think this is the best method from the looks and Jez is selling them.

Rides
    i have something like on HD website, and works grate electronic devices are just more complicated and with same results or worse (not talking about expensive devices with lugging and ...)

Rides
    I made a set of them using Jez's instructions and they worked very well. I have one of his electronic sensors now and it's so much more handy.

Just buy some plastic tube (2 metres), cut a 4 inch long piece of copper pipe and hammer the end flat then drill a hole in the flat end big enough to get a bolt through. Stick/glue the round end into the plastic tube. Buy some cheap ear defenders and drill a hole into the side of one (or both) of the ears and glue the other end of the tube into it.
    Now go and bolt the copper piece to the block, put on the ears and drive

Rides
    thanks for the reply. That sounds like it

Rides
    My DIY approach.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=238594

Sadly only 1 other person spent a whole £5 at maplins to build the circuit for themselves (I should have stuck them in a shiny box and flogged them for money )

Rides
    In addition to the KS-3, phormula also make these which can be used on their own or in conjunction with the ks-3

http://www.phormula.co.uk/KnockAnalyserPro.aspx

I used to use the ear defenders and pipe method, and it worked quite well. The main draw back was the fact that the tube can get easily crushed and you have to make sure its not rattling on things.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    My DIY approach.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=238594

Sadly only 1 other person spent a whole £5 at maplins to build the circuit for themselves (I should have stuck them in a shiny box and flogged them for money )
    I read that thread, but didn't see anything conclusive about the £5 maplins circuit.
    Build a few then... they should sell I'd think. Could be another useful 'low-budget' option.

helpful info guys

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    I read that thread, but didn't see anything conclusive about the £5 maplins circuit.
    Build a few then... they should sell I'd think. Could be another useful 'low-budget' option.

helpful info guys
    Liquidsmoke built it and said he could hear det (I could hear everything from the cars I tried it on, except det, but I don't actually think they were detting ). I meant to do some tiny surface-mount prototypes, just ran short of time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post

helpful info guys
    no conclusive testing done becasue its still in the bag John gave it to me in . I broke my car before I had a chance to try it. Will be fully tested shortly

Rides
    I would have had a go and built it but i'm awful at little fiddly work and soldering

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Danny View Post
    no conclusive testing done becasue its still in the bag John gave it to me in . I broke my car before I had a chance to try it. Will be fully tested shortly
    I'd forgotten about that one .

Rides
    LOL, I have a lot of things I've aquired with good intentions and enthusiasm and then its taken 6 months before looking at them again.

Rides
    Sadly only 1 other person spent a whole £5 at maplins to build the circuit for themselves (I should have stuck them in a shiny box and flogged them for money
    yeah mine works well. Used a bosch sensor from a VW engine readiliy pilferable from breakers yards. I can detect det on demand by advancing my ignition timing. Best used with some closed earphones.

Rides
    Cool....I like hearing about effective inexpensive gadgets.
    So as the autospeed article states, any audible device would be the
    'foolproof' method... even used to verify the electronic ones work.
    http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0348