Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: S15 parts that fit S14s

Rides
    Originally posted by Crow
    Pity I didn't realise there was such an interest for such parts overseas, but only stumbled on this forum by accident.
    You don't know tha half of it, we modding mad on here, we have our very own trader (Bren of ApexPerformance) how many BBs can clam that !! ;D

Crow if your going to be able to gather S15 WMIC and Turbos, I will have a WMIC of you to start with.

Are you on Aus Ebay, are you Crow on there too ?

Cheers

Rides
    Green Meany - crowpez on ebay, not crow

Moddding mad is understandable, a standard S14a is a bit underwhelming.

Colin - yes, hobbsy has first dibs on the 320hp BB turbo.

Rides
    Green Meany - I've sent you a PM about your S15 cooler.

I'll try and find one for RiskyDiscoDan now.

Rides
    dude - you havent forgoten me
    very kind of you

pm me with the idea of cost
    hmmm how much are those BB T28's ???

Rides
    Recent dyno testing has showed another improvement that the S15 gets over the S14.

The VCT on the S15 is vastly improved.

Shutting down the VCT on my S14 dropped off power to the tune of 10kw. On the S15 it's closer to 30kw. This is in the midrange, so a quick look at peak power differences that people are so fond of quoting won't reveal the deficiency.

On a side note....

Since there have been cases of the S14 VCT mysteriously dying, the easiest way to detect this is

a) on the dyno comparing midrange before and after figures
    b) via the Nissan consult

However - also be aware that in many cases of faulty VCT, it was only apparent when the car had warmed up - so that when running the consult, if the car was cold timing was being advanced as per the VCT, but when it heated up, the VCT stopped working.

Cheers,

Brendan

Rides
    Riskydiscodan - I wouldn't bother upgrading to the BB T28 unless it's really cheap: they tend to be overpriced on the second hand market. If you're going down that path I'd suggest a garrett 320hp turbo. For a little bit more money you'll get a better turbo that has a more sustained power curve.

Anyway, it's been shown that the cams hold up the S15 turbo as full breathing is restricted at high RPM, therefore some argue that cams should be addressed before a larger turbo is fitted.

Rides
    Crow
    Do you know of a well priced turbo going up for grabs at the moment?
    Since removing my manifold today the guys at the tunning shop (AVA) have discovered thrust bearing failue in my Turbo Dynamics T28H (bought from Norris Designs).
    The tunning guys (who have always been very reliable) insist that the failure is not oil related and is characteristic of high boost wear (only I have never run higher than about 17psi since fuel cut was never removed), any ideas on this (Anyone)
    or on a good replacement most welcome!
    AVA do not reckon a new or reconditioned version of the same turbo would fair much better (this one had only done about 8000miles).

Rides
    Hi Colin,

I realise that you guys tend to approach mods differently over there, but 17psi on an S14 T28?? Surely it was out of its efficiency range at that level of boost. I'll send you a PM about that.

IMHO, don't bother with another T28, there are far better alternatives out there which are a straight bolt on, and can support more boost with faster spool up.

Cheers,

Brendan

Rides
    Crow,
    Regarding the VCT on the s15 which is improved over the S14 (as I understand it the exhaust cam aswell as the intake cam timming is controlled), has anyone over there modded an s14 engine with s15 parts to allow this, how easy/hard would this be to do?

Rides
    Colin that was going to be my next question

I am curious to know too...

Does it involve ecu change as well as the cams, either the S15 ecu or Unichip or E-manage ? Or just a fueling adjustment.

Rides
    I'm looking into that. I know that there is a lot of power to be had with a competant tuner adjusting the S14a VCT set up, I've seen it done.

However, if you want to see the results of one of our club members when he was examining the VCT on and off on an S15, check out:

http://johnnyt.nissan200sx.org/forums/vct.jpg

Note that it is a Jap spec S15 (which really is a moot point considering the only notable differences between Jap spec and Aus spec is exhaust and fuelling related ECU settings).

The difference on the S15 is far and beyond what I saw on my S14a.

Green Meany - it could involve cam replacement. I'm starting to see that the S14a cams MAY indeed run out of puff faster than the S15 units. As for ECU, unsure.

The physical parts involved (tensioner assembly and cam sprokett) appear to be different for starters. But I've priced them and they are vaguely affordable - so if I can get those sort of gains, it's definitely worth the money. I then have to see if it's a simple as the aftermarket ECU's being adjusted to compensate for the change.

Sorry I can't give more information, but I've only just starting looking at this recently.

Cheers,

Brendan

Rides
    No Probs Crow,

You have given us all a fair bit to think about anyway and its interesting to know how different places view tunning their S14s and the SR20DET.

Cheers mate