Rides
    penultimate one

Rides
    last one

Rides
    Saved me doing it then.

c.

Rides
    RE: LSD's. Here's a copy of a PM that sent to one of you who asked. Sorry if it's convoluted (a few emails have been combined in it) and fails to answer all the questions.

A US 240SX owner (equivalent of our 200SX, but with the KA24DE engine standard) bought an helical LSD off a manual S15 spec-R. He had a spare S14 open diff ready to accept the internals. The first thing he did was measure the depth of the holes that accept the output flanges/spline shaft. The retaining spring clip seemed to be at the right depth. He then proceeded to swap over the ring gear and install the helical diff in the carrier. It meshed fairly well with the pinion without any adjustments. So far so good. However, when sliding in an output flange it went in TOO easily. Turned out the spline part of the shaft has a smaller diameter on the S14 diffs, at least compared to the helical unit.

Most people discuss just upgrading the centre - though in the case of an S15 to S14 diff swap, you might be able to change over the entire unit as they both use 3.69 final drive ratios. Something to think about. Otherwise - it fits in an auto diff but the halfshafts will not fit in a manual S14 diff, the left halfshaft will be 12mm long (one of us spent a day at the wreckers with a collection of housings, centres and halfshafts, and eventually figured this out.) If there is a problem I'd check the number of bolts/pattern where the driveshaft comes in, I've been told that this is different between the two diffs. I'm also not sure if the halfshafts are the same, it's been said that the S15 centre is a drop in replacement to a skyline and I know that the skyline centre is not a drop in replacement for the manual S14 diff as our halfshaft is 12mm longer. The S15 helical unit is said to come from the skylines and the skylines do have larger diameter halfshafts than the S14, what I suspect is that you'll need these to get it to work (very easy to find over here). I also believe that the S15's are 5 bolt (thats what I was told a year or so back when looking at diff options) but I haven't checked for myself

The S15's Torsen diff is a significant upgrade on the S14s viscous LSD. It is however, not a particularly tight Torsen unit (tightness being a function of the number of element gears used).

Another alternative: 1 guy here in Aus changed his diff from the viscous S13 unit (same as S14 except the ratio) to a reshimmed GTR diff centre. They basically removed a GTR guts and placed it back into the s13 casing. That keeps the same shafts but you can't retain the ABS if you do this. This is why it's difficult to use centres from other nissans (GTR's, GTS-T's etc) as the crown wheel in the manual is bigger, the one in the auto is the same size as a GTR.

Second hand S15 diffs sell for around AUS$$1200-1500, a brand new cusco or kaaz is 1600-2000. The aftermarket ones are a lot better than the S15 diffs and the S15 diffs are a lot better than the S14 ones (IMO the diff in the S14 is complete really quite crap). For only a little bit more you're getting a better diff which is new and no hassles on the install.

Rides
    Interesting information...

C.

Rides
    Crow,

Cheers for all the info, you seem quite knowledgable.

Its a shame Aus is so far away cos make shipping expensive dispite the good exchange rate.

Are you able to supply part no. for the S15 WMIC or an idea of how much one from Aus would cost?

And off topic, but it is my thread. Crow could give us some details of your front splitter, cos I looks good

Cheers

Rides
    Green Meany,

The front bar I'm using is an Edge bar. The factory S14 bar is a disjointed nasty bit of work that provides very poor air flow to a front mount (and radiator). The Edge bar is the same design as the one released on the limited edition Nismo S14 270R.

http://naonao.alpha-sv.com/

It's not as 'in your face' as say, Veilside and my only criticism is that the protruding lip, like that of the C-west bar can scrape easily because it effectively lengthens the front of the car. This is unlike the factory S14 / S14a splitter 'aka snow plow' which sits back a fair way to minimise scraping.

Aus shipping rates are a lot cheaper than American post. Not sure how they compare to yours though - though I got my RLTC from England without too much pain on the shipping front.

I'll look into the part number for the S15 cooler - though they sell second hand here for reasonably cheap these days (AUS$100 to $200 - or less, there's one on ebay at the moment). Now that the warranty periods of S15s are starting to end, more people are fitting front mounts.

Rides
    £30 - £60.

Can you find out a price on shipping of a S15 IC , Dam thats cheap.

Thanks

C.

Rides
    I have asked the chap on ebay if he will ship to the UK and if he can get hold of any more S15 IC's

Crow if you can get hold of any arround that price you should be able to sell them at a small profit very easily on the board.

C.

Rides
    Au$200 for effectively a nissan uprated WMIC !!! that's a blo0dy bargin mate.

And as Cookie says you could make a mint on them too...

Now I am sure a group buy could make it worth someones while to gather say 3 or 4 and send them over to us here in old blighty.

Thanks again Crow, oh how wish I was living somewhere hot again............

Rides
    I've tracked one S15 cooler down this morning. I'll post more info next week hopefully because I need to have a close look at the core to make 100% sure it's in good nick.

Green Meany - warm is one thing. Parts of Australia can be a bit more than just warm. It's been too hot here this recent summer, and we're in the middle of a drought with an overdose of bush fires. I nearly had my house burn down a month back....

One of the reasons why people here like to fit S15 coolers to S14's is that FMIC's are hated by insurance companies because front end damage tends to cost a lot. The front of an S14a costs a fortune to replace from Mr Nissan and when you add a FMIC to the equation, it gets rather nasty. With the local wildlife of Kangaroos and Wombats our front ends are often at risk

Rides

WMIC

Count me in for a S15 WMIC me me me !!!!!
    I state my claim (wee up a tree) want one (run around jumping up and down shouting memememe)
    just in case u didnt get that - i want one and will be in any group buy or just me for the right sort of money

go and collect all the S15 wmic and give them to us

Rides
    Have I read this right, 80 bones for an S15 WMIC??? If so put me down for one!!!!!!!

Rides
    The sad thing is that as you are probably all aware - S15 production was discontinued a few months ago, and in the first place it was only available for the Japanese and Australian markets. Add to that the relatively high write-off rate of the cars in wet weather, and I'm wondering if one day they'll be difficult to find. Still, I'm looking...

I've got a 320hp Ball Bearing turbo aka GT2530, Bosch fuel pump and one S15 cooler for sale so far but have spent all morning at work answering PM's about them. Pity I didn't realise there was such an interest for such parts overseas, but only stumbled on this forum by accident.
    Last edited by Crow; 13-03-2003 at 01:31.

Rides
    Just a FYI...

I am going to bid on the one on ebay, so you lot stay out of it - no point starting a bidding war between us.

C.

Rides
    Crow,
    how much are you asking for the 2530?

Rides
    Sorry lads,

I think I've got first dibs on the 2530 turbo.

Rides
    I have already refused it , so i must have had first dibs

C.