Thread: (Illustrated) Introduction

Rides

(Illustrated) Introduction

This week I bought my second S13, and posted my SXOC membership cheque. So I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself, after years of being a hanger-on here.

I'm Tom, and my introduction to SX motoring actually came while I was living in Japan, teaching English on the JET programme (highly recommended, BTW). The previous English teacher bequeathed me a gutless Sunny automatic estate, and when I was quoted £1500 to get it through shaken (MOT), I immediately knew I could get something better.

I went out looking for anything with a manual box and a bit of power, and came back with a 1991 PS13 Silvia Q’s, with the SR20DE motor. Over the next 8 months I drove that car flat out and occasionally sideways around the mountains of central Japan. I met up with a local group of drivers who went out on Saturday nights, and a piece about this later got into J-Tuner issue 5, describing plunging downhill in the pitch black behind an R32 GTS-4.

Sadly I had to sell the Silvia on leaving Japan, which I’ve regretted ever since. This week, finally, I bought a 180SX from auction in Japan. It’s a 94 Type X with the SR20DET, black, grade 4 with 56,000 kms on the clock. It is also totally stock, which I plan to change if and when I have the cash available. I’m anticipating getting behind the wheel in time for Christmas.

I have loved cars since the age of two, and found that driving the Silvia gave me a thrill that little else can match, but which is hard to explain to other people. The S-chassis cars are great because they are fairly light, fairly powerful, and follow the traditional balanced F/R layout. They are new enough to have decently sophisticated engineering, such as four-valve heads, turbos and independent suspension, yet old enough not to detach the driver from the action, or (worse still) curtail the action with interfering electronics. (Yes, I expect I’ll come to rue that last statement one day!).

Anyway, enough rambling. I’m glad to be joining the club, and look forward to meeting some of you in person in due course.

Rides
    wow what a long intro, hi and welcome to the club

Rides
    i am not jelous at all

mot one little bit

nope still not jelous

welcome you git!!!!

Rides

Rides
    Thanks for the welcomes

Update - I picked the car up from Southampton today, wasn't quite in time for Christmas unfortunately, but never mind. It seems to be in pretty good condition all over, as far as I can tell, and the collection and drive home went smoothly.

Only one incident - I was pulling out of Winchester services back onto the M3 after filling up with super unleaded, in the pouring rain. I carefully kept off the throttle around the 180 degree bend, then once straight, fed in the power... whoa ! I think I was in third, on partial throttle, and above about 4000 rpm both rear wheels started spinning. I know it's turbo, but I'm thinking the tyres might be past their best, too. Now I understand why so many of these cars get crashed. The SR20DE in the Silvia was fine, would take full throttle in the dry and most of it in the wet without an issue, although I did have better tyres on it.

I seem to have a completely dead battery, so that will be the first thing to sort. Then the brakes are pulsing back through the pedal, possibly rust on the discs ? So either that will clear normally or I need to get the discs changed, I guess. A front sidelight is out, hopefully just the bulb. Finally, the steering seems a bit vague - is there a bushing I need to replace ? But overall it's lovely, very smooth, easy power and feels good to drive. I can't wait to get it registered and have a proper drive !

Rides
    Aye, be a bit careful in the wet. Been a lot of lairyness with rear ends as of late!

Car looks good. Enjoy it

Rides
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    I'm thinking the tyres might be past their best, too.
    What tyres does it have? When mine landed it had potenza's on the frt and Nankang Ditchfinders on the rear

I seem to have a completely dead battery, so that will be the first thing to sort.
    That'll be a number of weeks sat doing nothing at the docks etc. Go for an 055 battery bit small but has the right terminals for Jap cars

Then the brakes are pulsing back through the pedal, possibly rust on the discs ?
    Possibly but mine were like this and it turned out to be warped discs.

Finally, the steering seems a bit vague - is there a bushing I need to replace ?
    Yep rubber doughnut in the steering column down by the rack needs replacing with a solid one. Not a costly job to replace maybe a little fiddly. Looky here
    Last edited by Easy007; 29-12-2007 at 15:06.

Rides
    welcome

Rides

Rides
    welcome , is that the car in the pic ? just asking as it has the 200sx rear panel, and no type x kit fitted .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    welcome , is that the car in the pic ? just asking as it has the 200sx rear panel, and no type x kit fitted .
    Yes, that's it in the second pic.

It's not a Kouki (often referred to as 'Type X'), those ran from '96 onwards and mine is a '94. Basically I couldn't justify the extra cost (about £2000 more) for what boils down to cosmetic differences.

And yes, weirdly it says '200SX' on the back. Everything else about the car is JDM, so it must be a previous owner wanting to be cool and have the 'European look' I guess.

Only place open this afternoon was Halfords, and I don't want to pay their battery prices, so still need a battery.

Rides
    welcome

Rides
    Nice car fella! Welcome

Rides
    Yes, that's it in the second pic.

It's not a Kouki (often referred to as 'Type X'), those ran from '96 onwards and mine is a '94. Basically I couldn't justify the extra cost (about £2000 more) for what boils down to cosmetic differences.

And yes, weirdly it says '200SX' on the back. Everything else about the car is JDM, so it must be a previous owner wanting to be cool and have the 'European look' I guess.

Only place open this afternoon was Halfords, and I don't want to pay their battery prices, so still need a battery.
    cool, didnt no they did one without a kit, and pmsl at a jap lad wanting to be euro

Rides
    Welcome mate, where did you live in Japan? I was in Tokyo for 2003 and loved it, the car scene was great.

Rides
    I was in Hida, in the north of Gifu prefecture. It's right in the centre of Honshu (the main island), in the mountains; lots of mountain roads and a really beautiful area.
    I also managed to visit Haruna (Akina), Akagi, and Irohazaka as featured in Initial D.

Yeah, the Japanese are very friendly esp when you have an interest in common, so that was good fun.

Rides
    Nice, even though I was therefore for a year, I didn't travel much past Mt Fuji and Kamakura. Spent all my time in Tokyo and on their freeways. Did see some small time drifting, but not that much.

Sure if you are ever at a meet, we could reminisce....haha