Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Back in my own car...................finally

Rides
    Part 2 of this weekends update.

K&N induction kitted

Also fitted my new wipers, indicator bulbs and sorted out a sticking drivers side window mechanism (stuck bolt )

By this time next week both seats will be fully installed.

Rides
    Another mini update

Finally got round to fitting the passanger side coilie and brake kit, had a few issues at first with the wheel nuts going right through the disc bell and fouling the disc backing plate (the bells on these discs are not as wide as the oe or Brembo etc bells.

The passanger side complete

Seat brackets had to be adjusted slightly but they are now finished and fitted.
    The welding

On the subframes

Properly in the car

Decided to check to see if my new rims fitted on with the brakes - unfortunately they dont. Some spacers are required - probably about 25mm to make sure i get good clearance over the caliper making them ET16

I wanted to get an idea of how they would look on the car so dedcided to fit one to the rear as a tester. I love it, looks awesome in my opinion.

And a couple just for the sake of it

Also got round to taking out the sunroof motor, centre console and arm rest.

Just need to get the poxy immobiliser sorted now so i can then get the arches rolled to make way for the new rimmage and the suspension setup properly to get rid of the 4x4 stance.

Rides
    nice car
    how much did the Sparco Evo L's cost and where from?

who ae the birds over by the camper ?

anyway should ths not be in the projects section haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    nice car
    how much did the Sparco Evo L's cost and where from?

who ae the birds over by the camper ?

anyway should ths not be in the projects section haha
    I originally got the Evo's from Apex Performance on sale, sold them to Cluck when i broke my 200 and brought them back in March. Seats currently stand me about £350 after all the outgoings/incomings are added up.

The blonde is about 60 and looks it too, the brunette is a neighbours other half.

Its not a 200 or got an SR/CA heart transplant and i think the link the seats have with my old 200 is pushing it a bit too far to get into the projects section

Rides
    lol my Ae86 is in there and a few other non 200 cars as well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    lol my Ae86 is in there and a few other non 200 cars as well
    Really

Mods, mods can this be moved?

Rides
    My spacers arrived today

Only the two for now to guage fitment of the wheel over the caliper, if all is well another pair will be ordered to sort out the rears.

Rides
    Following on from this thread - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...&highlight=BMW it turns out my immobiliser problem was caused by the transponder receiving loop had fallen away from the steering column and wasnt close enough to pick up the signal from the transponder on the keyring

I must have knocked it climbing into the car

Good news is its all sorted

Rides
    Tried to sort out replacing the stubborn passenger side old brake line.

Got the stilsons and molegrips out, nothing

So instead i went and got a solid towbar from my local screwfix (£13 ) - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73165/...PCFFI?ts=91296 - because it is going into the garage saturday to have all the bushes changed, suspension set up and MOT (finally, its been off the road since january).

Thought i would try out my new spacers on the front, a nice set of 25mm bolt-on hubcentric spacers from Eibach.

My new wheels now fit with about 3-5mm clearance over the calipers but sticking out of the arch a little

I think this thing will look excellent when finished.

Rides
    Just looking at that last photo the 18's make my new brakes look tiny

Oh well, this project isnt about final looks really. It will still be passable at the end of it.

Rides
    Another update.

All the parts are fitted and its gone and failed its MOT again.

This time on cracked windscreen

I thought it was smal enough to get through but the tester had other ideas. Insurance funded replacement is on its way next weekend and then back in for the retest.

Rides
    Its finally passed its MOT

woohoo

Picked it up form the MOT place a little while ago.

Passed with no comments apart from the brake light is lit on the dash - need to get myself a reset tool i think.

Anyway, here are the pics of the harness mountings - shoulder straps are a straight fit into the old seatbelt holes for the rear seats using the eyelet bolts that came with the harness.

Had problems getting the eyelet bolts to fit where i originally wanted them to (the rear mounting points for the front seats so i had some mounting plates welded in)

The harnesses

And another of the whole thing

Rides
    Part 1 of this project is finally complete.

Took the car to Elite in Rainham thursday to have it fully aligned and while i was there i decided to get the camber sorted and have the front lowered a little (it only cost an extra £20 and saved me hours).

Now running -3.5deg camber at the rear and -2.5deg camber at the front.

I had booked the car onto a stand at Bimmerflex back in january so decided to lower the front a little more (there was still a clear 2" arch gap even after elite had lowered it). I decided to do this saturday - quick job, would be done in a couple of hours......................or so i thought.

As i took the wheels off i discovered that elite had undone the preload locking rings in an attempt to lower it and not re-tightened them. The seating rings at the top of the springs were mullered and the spring was only held in properly as it had snagged the seating rings (this was both sides).

I had to take it all apart, straighten out the seating rings, put it all back together and lower it

I didnt start till about 4 as i thought it would be an easy job. This was how it stood at 6pm

Finally finished at about 11.30pm Had to be up at 5 sunday morning to meet up with a few mates then drive down to the Met Police sports centre near Sandown Park before 8 so the stand could be set up before the show opened.

Anyway, heres how it looked at the show

Rides
    I have got archenemy over sunday to roll and flare the arches, it can then be lowered a little more at the front.

Will post the results up then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    I have got archenemy over sunday to roll and flare the arches, it can then be lowered a little more at the front.

Will post the results up then
    Finally posting the results

Before

The man in action

After

Not the best pics.

Got a roll and flair allround. This gave me about an extra 14-16mm room at the rear and 10-12mm at the front. Solved the tyre scrubbing brilliantly. Phil could have given me more space but two of my arches have had previous repair work and are starting to show a few rust signs. We decided to go as far Phil possibly could without doing any damage that would require further attention.

I need to lower the car more so i will be swapping out the 25mm spacers for some 15mm to give me that little extra room and drop the car by another inch allround.

A quick undershot showing by new coilovers and adjustable camber arms.
    Last edited by MEL; 18-08-2008 at 17:08.

Rides
    So is this a track car?

I've only looked at the pics not read anything.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam0bmx0 View Post
    So is this a track car?

I've only looked at the pics not read anything.
    I am going for the best in show / concours competitions. Do you think my rusty bootlid, lived in London scars and shoddy paintwork will win it for me?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    I am going for the best in show / concours competitions. Do you think my rusty bootlid, lived in London scars and shoddy paintwork will win it for me?

hahaha, ok.

Rides
    when are you gonna convert it to manual?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingj View Post
    when are you gonna convert it to manual?
    When i discover time travel and travel back to the point just before i fell off my bike, hit a tree and smash my left hip out of its socket and completely destroy my femur and tell myself to take the right path instead of the left one.