Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back in my own car...................finally

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    I'm asuming that is functional other wise holy god its a great big gay wing!
    Its fully functional (to an extent).

Its the same one that SM & Yak use in the Time Attack series and Jesus Ninja uses/reccomended.

I will wait and see what the benifits will be but use in Time Attack by those 2 is a good hint it works well (imo anyway).

Rides
    Looking like a good project, seems a shame to strip what looked like a minter though.

I think rusty spoiler mounts must be quite common as I had the same problem removing one from a '95 328.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallsy View Post
    Looking like a good project, seems a shame to strip what looked like a minter though.

I think rusty spoiler mounts must be quite common as I had the same problem removing one from a '95 328.
    Cheers bud

It was in really good condition but the leather has gone to a mate of mine who swapped out his cloth so its all good.

The rust isnt too bad, i think that at some point someone else has tried to get the spoiler off and buckled the metalwork around the fixing point. There is no way of getting a block to the rear and smacking it back into shape

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Its fully functional (to an extent).

Its the same one that SM & Yak use in the Time Attack series and Jesus Ninja uses/reccomended.

I will wait and see what the benifits will be but use in Time Attack by those 2 is a good hint it works well (imo anyway).
    Yep it works. I tested that at Snetterton by removing it after I had changed the roll bar settings to suit it. It was rather scary the amount of fast corner over steer I got with out it! I think it was archenimys brother who was passengering at the time

One thing though. Where you have mounted the wing it will bugger the boot up as it is only through a thin skin. Myself and SM moved the mount to the edges of the boot so we could bolt through the frame of the boot where there is more strength. And drilled some new holes in the wing for the leg bolts.

Rides
    I would have liked to mount it a little further back but there is a plate in the way the drivers side upright bolts would go.

The front upright bolts would also then foul the third skin as you can see in the picture.

I am going to make up some supprts to go across the b width of the boot - taht should go some way to strengthening the whole area (hopefully).

Rides
    Yeah, that or a thicker plate bolted to underside of bootlid

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallsy View Post
    Yeah, that or a thicker plate bolted to underside of bootlid
    Thats what i am thinking but its going to need a couple of steps in it to go over and then back down around a reinforcing plate.

For the bolts visible in the pics a flat bar should do the job.

Rides
    Kudos for someone using aero for a purpose Like where you've taken this, and I don't normally like beamers Good stuff

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    Kudos for someone using aero for a purpose Like where you've taken this, and I don't normally like beamers Good stuff
    Cheers

Rides
    Nothing at all has happened to the car since the last update but i do now have a pair of tailored sparco subframes and have just ordered a complete set of poly bushes (some eccentric for that little extra adjustability).

This weekend should see the rest of the interior stripped, seats mounted and harnesses installed.

Check back in a few days to see how little i actually got accomplished

Rides
    Well, nothing happened

The crappy weather we have had and my welder working away has put a bit of a halt on my work

I have been busy buying though

A set of adjustable rear arms from Eibach

As well as a set of E39 M5 reps in a fairly tasty 8.5x18" ET41 (will have to sort that out).

Wearing Avon ZZ3 225/40/18 rubber

Never used these tyres before so if anyone has some opinions i would be happy for them to be shared

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post

Never used these tyres before so if anyone has some opinions i would be happy for them to be shared
    Bin them Never used them myself but most people on here who have say they are shite
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    No idea what was happening there
    Last edited by MEL; 12-04-2008 at 16:19.

Rides
    That wing isn't shy

Are the BMW auto boxes any good?

Nice to see a non-jap build every now and again
    Last edited by Quail; 12-04-2008 at 15:18.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quail View Post
    That wing isn't shy

Are the BMW auto boxes any good?

Nice to see a non-jap build every now and again
    Imo the BMW autobox in this is far better than the 200 autobox. Not sure how they compare strength wise with regards to maximum power handling but the BMW box has much smoother changes and a nice sports mode which sharpens things up a fair bit without comprimising anything.

The wing will probably be taken off for driving to and from the track for visibility reasons.

Rides
    Do you not think the wheels are a little too big?

Or would you have had caliper clearence issues with anything smaller?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Bin them Never used them myself but most people on here who have say they are shite
    I paid extra for them as an upgrade but on the upside they only cost £80 for the set and i have never ever heard of the tyres that were being sold on them.

Thankfully these are only a stop gap. If they are that bad i will swap my Potenza's over to the rear as a temporary measure.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Do you not think the wheels are a little too big?

Or would you have had caliper clearence issues with anything smaller?
    I didnt originally want 18's.

I brought Juz's old wheels 8.5 and 9.5x17 ET20 (posted pics previously) and they wouldnt go over the calipers. I worked out i needed 30mm of spacing to get them to fit. The arch work is not worth it imo.

I wanted to keep to a BMW style rim without going down the same route as everyone else - M3 alloys, the new style M6 alloys seem to be popular too (but really fugly).

The trouble is that most BMW or BMW style rims in a 17 have an inner lip running around the rim behind the spokes. Its this that causes the problem and these dont have it, were ridiculously cheap and a decent width.

I was keen on a aset of BBS LM reps but they are £200 dearer and i am doing this on a small budget (which has to include the car too). The LM reps have the inner lip too so i would have needed an 18 with them anyway.

Rides
    Fair enough, seems like a good compromise then

Rides
    Another update. Seeing as the weather has been amazing so far this weekend i decided to do a bit more to the car.

Rear shocks going on

I had to wind the coilies out about 6 inches to be the same heignt as the standard shock so this thing is going to ride like a 4x4 until its gets professionally sorted when its all finished.

I kind of ran out of time and patience as i dont have the right bit to get the rear hubs off so the spring and rear arms are still waiting to go on :roll:

I have managed to get the drivers side bucket mounted though

Just need to get my harnesses sorted out now

My idea of tidying up the wiring

Got the inner door panels off and removed the sunroof motor too.

I have managed to fcuk my back up today so tomorrow is going to be an easy day of fitting my induction kit and getting some of the MOT failure bits done.

Check back soon
    Last edited by MEL; 26-04-2008 at 17:33.