Thread: Diff Cooler - Why remove it?

Rides

Diff Cooler - Why remove it?

Hi All,

I read several posts regarding removing the stock diff cooler, can I ask why?

Surely it's there for a reason?

Please enlighten me

Rides
    i removed mine out of pure lazyness i couldnt get the hoses on the s14 diff i fitted so i just ripped out the cooler (in my defence it was cold, wet and i was more than knackered from bench pressing the diff for several hours as the bolts wouldnt line up right

sm removed his and then suffered high diff oil temps on track, so based on that i think its better to leave it on
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    It's not present on the Japanese import S13s. You've usually got to be doing some seriously hard driving to get the diff that hot (see above).

Rides
    is it running all the time?
    or is there a thermostat on it?

Rides
    temperature switch for the pump
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    No idea but I'm guessing it was some kind of bolt on bit that nissan put on to homolligate the 200sx for use in motorsport maybe, then when the car had one as standard, they could replace it with a uprated one.

I've read about them and aparently the cooler system only start under really extreme circumstances. i think its somet like: the oil in the diff gets to over 130 degrees and your travelling over 80mph.... or somet stupid like that... so yeah, you could remove it..